Reviews for Bedrock Bar & Grill

AmericanAsianAustralianEuropeanJapaneseSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: #01-05, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96 Somerset Road, 238163

28 Dec 2015

Decent Value Steak Set Lunches

We were craving steak but didn't fancy splurging at Morton's so dropped by Bedrock Bar & Grill for their steak set lunch since we happened to be in town during the weekend.

The interior isn't anything too fancy and sports wooden furniture, halogen lamps and a partially open concept kitchen with an island top and lots of overhanging pots and pans where you can view your bread being kneaded and baked. Window blinds provide cover from the adjacent pedestrian walkway. Overall a pretty cosy place if you happen to secure one of the booth seats.

Complimentary Flat Bread - Served with a clove of roasted garlic and butter, the piping hot flat bread came fresh out of the oven; warm, chewy and reminiscent of naan.

Classic Lobster Bisque - Relatively rich but salty even with the rather amount of chive cream, the lobster bisque boasted no lobster meat and the dubious honour of pairing best with a glass of water.

Confit Corned Chicken - This tasted like the chicken version of duck confit (duh!), just a touch more moist and a little less salty and flavourful. Accompanied by a sunny side up and crunchy, mildly salty sausages. Overall a very palatable dish but nothing to go wow over.

Woodfire Grilled Sirloin - At $58++ for the steak set lunch, this was pretty good. Relatively flavourful with a touch of salt and done medium as per my request. Meat was tender but not as juicy as I would have liked it to be. Topped with a creamy Bearnaise sauce and a side of slick and buttery mashed potato. Bread Street Kitchen, Morton's and Ruth Chris still does a meaner piece of steak but for the price, I really can't compare or complain.

Sticky Stout & Toffee Pudding - This dessert was pretty interesting - A scoop of gingernut ice cream (not a fan of ginger but this was pretty mild) plopped atop a rather sweet toffee pudding with a significant stout aftertaste. To counter the sweetness, tart red berries were placed alongside. Decent finish to our meal.

HGW happened to be running a promotion during that period so we got $10 off each set lunch ($28++ for non steak and $48++ for the steak variant). Food quality came across as decent (steak was a notch above that) and so did service. I'm honestly not inclined to return, given that Bistro Du Vin does a reasonably good steak for lunch as well and offers a more compelling value proposition in my humble opinion.

More reviews of Bedrock Bar & Grill

Overall

A late valentine's day treat

Headed over to Bedrock Bar and Grill at Pan Pacific Serviced Suites (right next to Marches if you exit 313) to try out their executive lunch as a post valentines day treat. Had pretty high hopes for the place because we saw a friend post pictures of his Tomahawk steak on Facebook and it looked absolutely divine.

We arrived slightly past 1 and there were maybe 4-5 other tables being occupied so they weren't that crowded and service was attentive. The décor was slick and the wooden furniture added to a laid back but sophisticated dining atmosphere.

We decided to get two 2-course meals, one with soup and the other with dessert to share because we weren't feeling that hungry. Topped up from their regular soup of the day to try their French Onion Soup and we weren't disappointed at all! One of the best onion soups I've had in Singapore, almost comparable to the one at Morton's. The gruyere cheese had a certain pungency to it, definitely not your run of the mill mozzarella cheese topping.

Next we decided to try the Grilled Ribeye Steak with Diane Sauce and the Grilled Striploin Steak with anchovy butter. To be honest, the steaks were nothing impressive. Tasted like something I could get at Aston's express at half the price. Maybe I'll be back one day to try the Tomahawk. The Mac and Cheese we ordered as our side was delicious though. It has a nice crust and the ooey gooeyness of the inside still gives me hope for this place.

For dessert we upgraded from dessert of the day to "A Wedge Of Chocolate" which is actually a 85% valrhona flourless chocolate cake. A wedge of chocolate is the perfect name for this cake because that's exactly what you feel like you're eating! The texture of this cake was like a dense chocolate cream, kind of like the texture of a cheesecake but every bite was pure, decadent, rich chocolate. I'd definitely recommend sharing this because it might be a bit too much for one person, as much as I love chocolate.

Overall, I would recommend this place to friends and I will still go back to try whatever else they have to offer. The bedrock crumble for 2 certainly sounds tempting enough ;)
Overall

Great steak at Bedrock, much more competitive in pricing than Morton's

Being a red-meat person, finding good and not exorbitantly priced steak's in SG is not an easy task. Morton's can be overly-priced due to its worldwide reputation. French steakhouses like L'Entrecote are trendy yet gimmicky altogether and probably worthwhile only "once in a lifetime", if you really want to consider quality meat.

Bedrock, however, provided some saving grace for steakhouses in Singapore. Located at Pan Pac Suites (Somerset 313), they provide premium cuts and do to perfection your required doneness for the meat.

My partner and I started off with the roasted tomato soup as well as the classic french onion soup which got our gastric juices working. Servers may have their memory lapses(and you can understand why when all of us encounter that from time to time) but they do react well subsequently.

And the main lead for our dinner arrived in the form of a 500gm porterhouse steak done to our preferred medium doneness, served on a pre-warmed stone slab. We had it with a piece of sinful foie gras on top as well as the decadent truffle potato mash!

To conclude, we will definitely be back! :D

Rocking experience...

My 1st time here and thought it was truly wonderful! We got there early so had a drink outside. The bar service was not that impressive, it was as quick as a snail. That got us a bit apprehensive about the dinner...

As we walked into the restaurant, I just loved the decor. It's so cosy and intimate and yet not formal. I understand why some reviewers said it was good for 1st date. I have to say it's probably one of the few restaurants here that I thought the decor and the ambience were well put together.

As usual, as soon as we sat down, then came the question of what type of water and the arrival of bread. The bread was freshly made pita. You can see it being roll out by a chef at the counter. It is served with roast garlic and butter. Luckily or unluckily, the bread wasn't like wow so that saved us room for the proper food.

I was toying with the idea of onion soup and a smaller portion of main since I am not a big eater. All the steaks are too big for me to eat alone - 12oz minimum size whereas I normally eat 6oz! So I was enquiring about which would be a better option - the steak diane or the roast chicken. The waiter then pointed it out to me that the "steak diane" was in fact an vegetarian dish. The steak was mushroom. Duh! I didn't see that steak written as "steak". Anyhow, he said if I wanted steak, then try out one of the proper ones. I explained it to him that I don't eat a lot so he suggested one of the US steak. However, when I told him that I only eat grass fed beef, he came up with a very good suggestion - we order the 500g t-bone so we could split us amongst the two of us, since my husband was going to have a steak anyway!

I have to say this sort of suggestion comes rarely in restaurants here as most of them are really just "order taking type of waiters" rather than "knowing how to help and serve type of waiters". We were suitably impressed by that. Then, came another good impression - wine of the months tasting before ordering! They have 3 red available and we could try them before deciding which is to order. What a great idea! So we ended up ordering two different types of red and both of us were just happy.

The steak came and it was split into the tenderloin for me and the striploin for my husband. It was well cooked and seasoned. I do enjoy grass fed beef a lot and that's the only type I will cook at home. It's rare to have the grass fed choice in restaurant, specially those who claim themselves as steakhouse - too much US beef influence! We had broccolini and fries as the sides and they were equally tasty. It was one of the few meals that I really enjoyed.

Last but not least, the pudding. Sadly, I was so full up so we just ordered a scoop of vanilla ice cream to clear the palate. I would love to go back to try out the apple crumble as recommended by others.

Bedrock is one of the better steakhouses in town. Prices are so reasonable and i will not hesitate to choose this place rather than those "well recognized" and more popular steak houses.

nice set lunch

For full review and pictures please visit knockonfood

The interior is classy and cosy, get a circle booth if you can! Loved the pita and garlic they served to start the lunch. Had Fish Chowder with the set lunch but I didnt like it as it was not the usual creamy chowders. My Striploin was fantastic! Juicy and pink inside. My chosen side of yukon gold Mashed Potatoes was light and dotted with truffle oil. Rounded off with a Warm Banana Cake with ice cream that wasn't too sweet.

All in all, a nice place for a good steak in town!

Overall

If you feel like a caveman

If you feel like unleashing your inner caveman, come over to Bedrock and order their Tomahawk Steak. It's a 400g wagyu steak served along with the prehistoric-looking bone. It fed 5 people and perhaps your dogs if you decided to bring back the bone home. The steak itself is scrumptious and tasty. We had many many sides that accompanied our dinner that day including the mushrooms, spinach, mac&cheese and mashed potatoes. Every single one of them were to die for. Not to mention their shaved jamon for appetizer.

On a separate occasion I came back and decided to have a burger. Really tasty burger cooked to perfection (pink in the inside and juicy). Was not disappointed. Prior to that I ordered their roasted bone marrow which blew my mind. It was just seasoned right with sprinkles of rock salt that was just partially melting on top of the sinful, gelatinous marrow. I was pretty sure I had orgasms in my mouth.