Reviews for Bedrock Bar & Grill

AmericanAsianAustralianEuropeanJapaneseSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: #01-05, Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, 96 Somerset Road, 238163

28 Dec 2015

Decent Value Steak Set Lunches

We were craving steak but didn't fancy splurging at Morton's so dropped by Bedrock Bar & Grill for their steak set lunch since we happened to be in town during the weekend.

The interior isn't anything too fancy and sports wooden furniture, halogen lamps and a partially open concept kitchen with an island top and lots of overhanging pots and pans where you can view your bread being kneaded and baked. Window blinds provide cover from the adjacent pedestrian walkway. Overall a pretty cosy place if you happen to secure one of the booth seats.

Complimentary Flat Bread - Served with a clove of roasted garlic and butter, the piping hot flat bread came fresh out of the oven; warm, chewy and reminiscent of naan.

Classic Lobster Bisque - Relatively rich but salty even with the rather amount of chive cream, the lobster bisque boasted no lobster meat and the dubious honour of pairing best with a glass of water.

Confit Corned Chicken - This tasted like the chicken version of duck confit (duh!), just a touch more moist and a little less salty and flavourful. Accompanied by a sunny side up and crunchy, mildly salty sausages. Overall a very palatable dish but nothing to go wow over.

Woodfire Grilled Sirloin - At $58++ for the steak set lunch, this was pretty good. Relatively flavourful with a touch of salt and done medium as per my request. Meat was tender but not as juicy as I would have liked it to be. Topped with a creamy Bearnaise sauce and a side of slick and buttery mashed potato. Bread Street Kitchen, Morton's and Ruth Chris still does a meaner piece of steak but for the price, I really can't compare or complain.

Sticky Stout & Toffee Pudding - This dessert was pretty interesting - A scoop of gingernut ice cream (not a fan of ginger but this was pretty mild) plopped atop a rather sweet toffee pudding with a significant stout aftertaste. To counter the sweetness, tart red berries were placed alongside. Decent finish to our meal.

HGW happened to be running a promotion during that period so we got $10 off each set lunch ($28++ for non steak and $48++ for the steak variant). Food quality came across as decent (steak was a notch above that) and so did service. I'm honestly not inclined to return, given that Bistro Du Vin does a reasonably good steak for lunch as well and offers a more compelling value proposition in my humble opinion.

More reviews of Bedrock Bar & Grill

Worst Steak Ever

I went to have lunch at Bedrock this past weekend. I have been here once before but never remembered it being so horrible. I ordered medium porterhouse (550 gr) steak with great expectations. After about 20 mins, the steak came and hence begun my disappointment. It was thinly cut (no more than half an inch) and looks mutilated. I cut into the steak and it was overcooked, full of muscles which made it extremely tough. Biting into the SGD 89 steak was like chewing on raw leather, tough and tasteless. In the end, I could only finished half of the steak before my wrist were sore from all the cutting. This was the first time in my life I didn't finish my steak. I left telling the waiter that they should either replace the meat supplier, or the chef. Horrible steak. For that price, I could get a better professionally cooked porterhouse at Morton's. What a rip off!

Decent set lunch

Went to bedrock to try the set lunch. Starting with broccoli soup, which was pleasant and only a subtle broccoli flavour fortunately. Moving to the main I chose prawn with spaghetti (amended from prawn risotto due to my dairy allergy). The spaghetti was al dente and good flavours in this dish. Thumbs up. My partner had the gnocchi which was ok, but the cream sauce was a bit too heavy. Finally there was no dessert option for me without dairy (a slight disappointment as most places will offer fruit but here was only given a coffee option). Overall it seems quite good, and I can see why the positive reviews. Service is relatively slick and the food of a decent quality. The set lunch gives an initial tast of bedrock, but I'd like to come back for dinner and try the steak!
Overall

unpleasant experience at bedrock bar and grill

Decided to give it a try at Bedrock during this xmas eve!

Eventually, through'out the whole course of dinner, customer services and foods still so-so for my case but a disastrous incident happened!

The manager offered to take a picture for us but was not holding it well enough and dropped our 'touch-screen' camera onto the floor which in turn causes the screen of our newly bought camera SPOILED!

All this happened without a proper apology from the manager involved and so.. what's this kind of customer service called?!

OMG!

I have heard many a rave reviews about this place and been bugging J to go along with me. We finally paid Bedrock a visit last Saturday.I have not been to morton's so I have nothing to compare to. Price wise was reasonable (to me). We had US striploin, ribeye, duck fat potatoes, wagyu bone marrow and the Bedrock crumble for 2. We asked for our steaks to be done medium rare. My striploin turned out perfect, with pretty grilled marks on the surface and the inside still juicy and rare. Wow. That was all I said after taking the first bite. The ribeye was overcooked, the insides pink and towards well done. We considered to request for a change, but did not as we were in a slight rush. Duck fat potatoes were sinfully good. Fluffy potato cubes fried in duck fat. Yums. The bone marrow was a little disappointing. The portion was tiny. In addition, I thought that the spring onions were an overkill as they totally masked the taste of the bone marrow. I won't order it the next time round. Bedrock crumble for 2 was not bad, the walnut streusel added a crunch to the dessert but I preferred their waffles (which I had the night before). The place was very noisy and informal, which I kind of prefer as compared to a quiet and formal place where you can hear a pin drop. There is no problems having a conversation there and laughing your head off. Will definitely visit the place again.... soon!

Better value than Morton

I would not say that Morton was not good, Morton will still top on my list ofor good steak. However, if I have a budget constraint and is craving for good steak, I will go to Bedrock.

A 200g beef tenderloin at $69. You have to pay to add sides, or sauce or toppings.

Beef was juicy and tender, and 200g was just nice for me. 400g will be an overkill and will result in diminishing marginal return.

Dessert was normal. Nothing to shout about.

Wine was great and compliment the steak.

Service wise, waitress was nervous, but friendly. Manager was a bit stiff though.

For photographers, they allow cameras, but I was scolded by the table next to me for the strong flash! Oops