Daily: 11:00 - 23:00
Big Bear Bistro & Bar isis the best place for you and friends to chill out, to be refreshed and to meet business associates.
drove past the lane (lane behind the known dessert lane where the famous fish soup stall is located) to find parking lot and saw a newly opened cafe. looked cosy from the outside. decided to give it a try.
i ordered the cream and cheesy pasta while my boyfriend ordered the 'black beauty' (fried fish with chef's special sauce). when the 'black and beauty' arrived at our table, it looked sort of 'unusual'. however, to our surprised, the fish actually went very well with the special sauce, it did not taste fishy at all. we shared the smoke salmon salad.
we also ordered the dessert, i ordered the banana savayong, while my boyfriend ordered the red wine poached pear (price less than $20). the presentation was good, and was tasty too.
the overall service was good though the service crew looked quite young and new. all in all, they were helpful and service was prompt.
the price of the food and alcohol ('happy hour daily') is reasonable, food taste not too bad, and cosy environment - worth giving a try
- They support local musicians by giving them a venue to perform and passing the bowl around for donations ("cover charge"). Very good support policies.
- Service is slow. There were three tables, two servers and still poor service.
- Small. This place is very small and far too brightly lit to be a bar.
- Mediocre food. Tasted like it came from a packet and they just microwaved it. Calamari had no seasoning so it was really bland.
- Expensive. Stupid prices for mediocre food.
- Karaoke. Not just normal kararaoke, but old drunk karaoke with only Chinese songs. Comes out after the local musician has left. That sort of thing is catered for all over Singapore, so why have it in this nice modern setting? Scary.
Very small place, wouldn't have mattered much anyway since many cafes are like that this days if the coffee was good and the food tasty. But it was neither......
Saw a mini musical area with a panio and mics with a tv. Maybe will come to see again at night and change my review if its better.