Review for Bincho at Hua Bee

AsianJapanese
Address: #01-19, 78 Moh Guan Terrace, 162078
01 Apr 2014

second time at bincho

Ok so i decided to go back to bincho cos its near my work place n cos i like the concept so much. This time i ordered the dinner set. Good value for money and good selection of dishes. The jap beers are really so good! Luv luv luv. Be back for more beers definitely! Service is again extremely good. Very friendly staff!
(null)

More reviews of Bincho at Hua Bee

Will be back for more!

We went there on a Sunday night around 6.30pm. The yakitori was reasonably priced and I saw a Japanese family having the set meals which I plan to try the next time we head back. I like the small portions so we could reorder after trying more. The lamb was good and shells were yummy.

Uhh... No, thanks.

Besides the quaint atmosphere that had the charm of an unexpected twist on an old-school joint, I hate to be painfully honest, the food left much to be desired. Read about my experience in trying some of the most bizarre flavours of my life.

Some things like the grilled squid, unfortunately, I will be going back to my favourite hawkers for. A hole-in-the-wall kind of place with barely anything but a barely noticable sign marking a mysterious doorway, it seemed to hold promise for a very unique dining experience which is not lived up to as yet.

Bincho chef cooks Moosehead dishes

Here's a tidbit: betcha didn't know the chefs of Bincho and Moosehead are actually good friends who really admire what the other does, so much that they frequent each other's restaurants on their days off. They're now extending their friendship to diners: chef Asai and Manuel have adapted three of their favourite recipes at the other's restaurant and will be serving it as a la carte dishes at their own space throughout October. At Bincho: grilled asparagus with fried leek and garlic miso ($14), grilled octopus finished with olive oil ($35), and deep-fried pig's ears with chilli powder ($16). Head on over to Moosehead's page to find out what they're cooking.
Overall

Yakitori Degustation? Never again...

I am writing this review while I'm paying the bill.  This place is an absolute ripoff.

Let's start with the menu,  what they have is a chalk board that they take 20mins to explain to each table. Despite the time spent, we are still left confused with what yakitori is being served in a set. The menu is omakase (we found out eventually) ,  but it's not stated anywhere.

Prices are S$80 or $120 for a set. We ended up ordering the $120 set for the 2 of us to share. And we chose the beef as a main,  and later realised we had to add an additional $30.

Mind you,  for a $150 yakitori,  the food better be good and plentiful...but it was disappointing to say the least.

The portions were tiny,  and food was just blah. Appetisers of mash potatoes (small spoon), chicken liver pate, and a tiny 1cm cube of salmon.

We were then served 4 cubes of beef (add $30). A quarter of a tomato, 1 chicken mid wing, 1 piece (2cm cube)  of thigh, 1piece (2cm cube)  of breast,  and 3 mini pieces of softbones.

This was followed by a small bowl of negri Don,  and a sip of chicken soup (the soup bowl was only a quarter filled). I then ask if I could get a refill and was told No.

This has to be the most absurd yakitori place serving mediocre and expensive  food with miniscule portions. A wanna be yakitori Degustation restaurant with zero creativity,  blah food and exorbitant prices.

If I could give it a zero star, I would.  do not eat here.

Overall

More of a been-there-done-there. Good to experience at least once

Having heard of Bincho for yakitori and its unique restaurant design, my friend and I decided to drop by one evening for dinner. And indeed, one will not have guessed the real entrance to Bincho is actually the rear door that’s facing the car park. Wire letters spelling ‘Bincho’ was the only thing hinting of the restaurant’s presence.

As we were a little comprehensive, my friend and I decided to enter from the main door of Hua Bee as that door was left ajar. Haha. Because we entered through the entrance from Hua Bee side, we walked through the space of the 70-years old traditional coffee shop before going into the yakitori area which could house up to 12 people.

We were lucky to get counter seats despite having made no prior reservation. There’re only 6 of 8 counter seats with proper view of the chefs at work, although one may argue that there’s nothing much to see for yakitori as compared to omakase.

The menus are hung on the wall in the form of chalkboards. Besides the a-la carte items, there’re 4 sets namely Saklira ($60, to order before 7pm), Bincho ($120), Fuji ($80) and Miyabi which is the chicken soup steamboat ($65 per person, minimum 2 pax). And from the menu, we ordered the Bincho set which comprises of :-

1) Assorted appetizer –We were served skin of chicken feet, chicken liver, potato salad and vegetables.

2) Assorted sashimi – I was a little surprised to see tuna belly. What a nice surprise!

3) Lamb – We were given the option of lamb, fish or beef (+ $30). We went with lamb and I must say it was grilled to perfection with the meat being slightly pinkish in the centre. Meat was juicy and tender. Yum!

Due to the (silly) 3000 characters limit, please continue to read my review on other dishes here : PART2

11) Grill sea urchin, $60 – Ordered a0la carte, this is my first eating urchin from the shell, and I must say it’s not too bad. Although with this, I concluded I very much prefer my urchin raw. And because we were sitting at the counter in full view of the chefs, I caught the chef poking his bare finger into the shell to check if our urchin was cooked. Of course, he saw me catching him red-handed. But still, I ate my urchin without complaints. o_O I would have second guessed myself, but when I next saw him using a metal chopstick to check on his flying fish (poking the meat before touching the chopstick to check the warmth), I guessed he really was not supposed to be checking our food with his finger.

The dining experience was not too bad. We were advised to share the set if we were small eaters, and I am glad we took the staff’s advise by sharing one Bincho set, so that we can try more dishes from the a la-carte menu. But items from the a la-carte menu were a little pricey. Nonetheless, I enjoyed myself although it’s more of a been-there-done-that. Dont think I will be heading back again.
----------