Review for Bismillah Biryani Restaurant

AsianIndianSouth Indian
Address: 50 Dunlop Street, 209379
24 Jun 2012
Overall

people found this review useful Was it useful to you?Yes

More reviews of Bismillah Biryani Restaurant

Trying the Chicken Dum Briyani

I been here a few weeks ago and I had a craving over the weekend, so I came by for lunch.

I last had the baby lamb biryani. So this time round, I ordered the Chicken Briyani, which cost $8.50.

I also had the Mango Lassi: $4. This was vacuum sealed in a plastic cup, just like bubble tea.

To end, I had the Kulfi: $2.50. This was a small cup with an ice cream stick stuck on one end. Pull the ice cream out from the cup and enjoy. It’s packed with crushed pistachio nuts at the top and the middle of the ice cream. The kulfi is milky in taste and reminds me of condensed milk.

A good meal and I enjoyed it a lot.

Overall

Over-rated, arrogant and not value for money

Many years before this place becomes famous, I have gone to this place and back then, there was dhall, an egg, and yoghurt salad served in addition.  I cannot remember the part about pappadam.

The taste is acceptably ok.

Lately, I have been reading reviews and remembered this place.  So I thought I go back and try this "heavenly" briyani.

I must say my experience was not good.

First of all, it is nowhere heavenly.  There is a lot of usage of peppercorns hence giving rise to a different fusion taste that we do not associate with briyani.  Hence some folks may find it unique. But it is not to me. There are NO dhall, egg or pappadam as we associate them with typical briyani servings.

Also there is a difference between mutton and lamb briyani.  The lamb briyani cost $15 that diners may not be aware.  I certainly was not.

About service, much is said about the arrogance in the reviews here.  I encountered the same.  I asked to have tea and the server just said they do not serve and I wanted to suggest an alternative, and he pretended not to hear and walk away.  I was very sure it was loud enough for him to hear.

The place is dark and has a stale smell with the furniture in poor condition.

I could certainly not called the food heavenly especially in a place that looks so "hellish".

It is really over-rated and over-priced.  There are better alternatives like Bananna Leaf nearly there with an air-conditioned place to hoot for, and the price is even so much lower than this place.

It should be under-rated in my view, and for those who like it, well it is their taste.  To be sure for me, it is clearly over-rated. I am not ever going back there again.

Really not worth it!

If you're looking for good mutton briyani, don't come here. There was barely mutton on my plate. And it cost $15. Regret going over

Not worth!

The food is good but not worth the high price. Mutton Biryani is $15 and you hardly get any meat! They also dont have much variety and the place is shadier than the back alleys of desker!! Totally avoidable!

A Good Dum Briyani That You Must Try

My friend had casually mentioned about this nasi biryani that is very good and that the mutton biryani costs $15. I was intrigued but we just had lunch, so we couldn’t go check it out immediately.

After a couple of weeks, I asked him out for lunch and suggested to visit this eatery. He promptly agreed. We headed over to this eatery, located at Little India – off Serangoon Road.

It’s located in a corner non-descript shophouse. If my friend had not brought me here, I would have just walked past it.

There were limited seats and they were packed. We managed to get a seat soon, as a table was just vacated.

- Baby Goat/ Lamb Briyani: $15. This is cooked dum-briyani style where the meat is cooked in the rice.

The meat is well marinated with herbs and spices and the flavour permeated to the biryani rice, which made it tasty. The meat is tender and tender. It pulls apart easily.

The rice portion is generous and I was more than full after polishing off the whole plate.

- Mango Lassi: $4. Served in pre-packed and sealed plastic container, just like bubble tea. Just head over  to the fridge near the counter at the back and help yourself. They use normal plastic straws which cannot be poked into the plastic lid. So get a toothpick from the counter and poke a hole before inserting your straw in. Its mango flavoured. Nice and refreshing.

I spent $19 for my meal. Overall, a good meal.

This is definitely a good nasi biryani that you must try!