Back to Botan Japanese Restaurant#01-01, 36 Pekin Street

Healthy Eating5 votes
Live Band3 votes

• 12 Jul 2014 316 reviews 86 followers
Overall
I wouldn't have know this place, if not, my friend kept on telling us about it.  That we should go to this place to have dinner, not so crowded, nice ambience and for dinner set menu value-for-money.

When we were at there, we took turn to decide what to order for the set. As there were quite a number of choices.  Easy for me to choose, rather, I won't order for rice set.  So I ended up with soba.  With my fave and fresh sashimi, what a nice dinner we had.
Hidden Find, Quiet

ThumbsForFood
 • 02 Mar 2014 167 reviews 4 followers
Overall
For full review and more photos, please visit http://thumbsforfood.blogspot.sg/2014/03/botan-japanese-restaurant-thumbsforfood.html

I have been to Botan on two separate occasions- once for lunch and once for dinner. On both times I was there, the restaurant was not packed but had a fair amount of patrons dining. I actually enjoyed the fact that the place was not overcrowded so I could dine comfortably and at my own pace.

Botan has a variety of set meals for lunch and dinner. If I did not remember wrongly, the set meals are priced the same regardless of whether you are there for lunch or dinner. Prices range from $22 to about $35.

I had the Ladies Set which is one of the more expensive sets (about $30+). It came with California Maki Roll, Chawanmushi, Sashimi, Ramen, Tempura, Salad and Icecream. This set really has a little of everything. Usually, you would think that Ladies Set is probably smaller in portion but, the Ladies Set here is otherwise.

The Chirashi Set is pretty alluring as well with not only fresh sashimi but a mixture of sides such as Oden that provides a good balance with raw sashimi. The best thing of the Chirashi Set I would say is the generous portion of roe on the rice.

The Tempura in Botan is also another must try as it is fried to perfection. Even when the tempura was not eaten piping hot, it was crisp and delicious.

Overall, I feel that Botan is a hidden gem amidst the CBD area. This place serves value-for-money, authentic and quality Japanese food. It is suitable for business dinners as well as large group gatherings. For those who are looking for a place for good Japanese food yet want to avoid the crowds, do give Botan a try!

Must tries: Chirashi Sushi Set, Bento Sets, The Bento sets, Dinner sets!

After Work, Business Dining, Girls Night Out, Large Groups, Lunch, Relaxed
  • Shopfront
  • Chirashi Bento Set
  • Ladies' Set

make your calories count
 • 22 Dec 2013 137 reviews 0 follower
Overall
For review in full complete with pictures and items of food tried, please visit http://www.makeyourcaloriescount.com/2013/11/sg-botan-japanese-quality-food-at.html

The menu consists of the usual lunch sets, sashimi platter, ala carte dishes such as karage and maki rolls. Spoilt for choice and not the best performer when it comes to making food decisions, we both decided to take the easy option of lunch sets.

Each of the lunch sets comes complete with an appetiser of marinated fish niblets, serving of sashimi,chawanmushi (steamed egg custard), bowl of rice, miso soup, potato and chicken cutlet. Not forgetting two slices of orange, of course.

The sashimi was almost melt-in-your-mouth quality with the tuna and salmon being the more impressive protein. We would have preferred it better if the serving portion for the sashimi was slightly more generous but the plus of having the lunch set was that you could have a taste of all the various types of culinary techniques that the chef has to offer.

The cutlet dishes were also above average in standard and the marinade had a good touch of salinity. Chawanmushiwas also silky smooth and you could taste the shiitake mushroom in whole which was firm and complemented the texture well.

Moving on to my selected main of unagi (grilled eel), it was smooth, soft and had a beautiful coating of that unami sauce that would make you go oomph. Overall, the dishes suited my palate and the hot tea surely complemented my lunch.

My only complaint was I felt excessively thirsty after the meal when I returned to office. Not sure if it was the unagi or the miso soup but that certainly made me revise my verdict and it suffered some penalty points.

To continue reading, please visit us at our blog! Thank you! :)

Must tries: Unagi Set