Burger Shack has closed.

Summary

Original burger, Ramli burger, Burger and Fries, Fries, Nacho fries, Pulled Pork Burger, BBQ pulled pork, Fried Calamari, Rice, onion rings View all
Lunch, Dinner, Children/Family, Take Away, Chillout, Cheap Eat/Budget, Vibrant/Noisy, After Work, Girls Night Out, People Watching, Boys Night Out, Hidden Find, Large Groups/Gathering, Quiet, Supper View all

people found this review useful

Most helpful reviews for (Closed) Burger Shack

Lousy, am disappointed.

I just ate here at 23/5/2013, for lunch with my son. After 20min, I received my spring chicken and when I cut it, I found the inside to be raw. I immediately passed it back to the counter, and a mere "I will pass it to you." was replied, nary an apology nor an explanation. After 10min, I received the chicken, which I found to be the original one, just refried. The whole chicken became hard, tasteless and oily. What I am displeased with is that they reused the chicken, not a new one. And during thus entire incident, not a single apology or explanation was offered . This points to bad service and horrible cooking skills.

I LOVE THE BURGERS AND FRIES!

Burger Shack, sister to the famous Island Creamery, is one of my favourite places to head to when I'm too lazy to leave the confines of my neighbourhood. The portobello mushroom burger is a must try and their fries are TO DIE FOR.

I also recently tried the har jeong gai burger (prawn-paste chicken) and was blown away. I must admit it was a tad too oily for my liking though, but it was fabulous all the same. The bread was also very tender and just the way bread should be. Good work Burger Shack!

Ambience was weird as music was erratic and there was a lot of k-pop being played for some strange reason.

Nicely fried chicken wings - but it is a burger joint!

Burgers - bread is big, patty is small. Patty is not juicy. Where is the mushroom in mushroom swiss? Where's the sauce in the Original? Not impressed. But the deep fried chicken wing is nicely done - juicy, crispy and hot. But I am here for the BURGER! At least the service is decent.

Affordable price with huge servings

Food/Drink 4| Value 4| Ambience 4

With generous servings and a student-friendly environment, it was no surprise that Burger Shack is a magnet for students studying around the Bukit Timah area. Owned by the chain of Island Creamery that most are familiar with, Burger Shack exudes the same charm, attracting students and youths with its chill and cosy ambience.

Spaghetti Meatballs ($8.90)

A rather dull dish as it had too much tomato content in its sauce, making it too sweet. The spaghetti was also a lil' overcooked, missing out on the chewy bouncy texture. The meatballs had a slightly stronger beef taste to it, and I personally didn't really like the sharp taste and smell of it.

Fried Calamari ($7.70)

Fresh calamari that was fried to a perfect golden crispy brown! I like the fresh tender calamari used and there was a crunch to every bite. Perhaps it's just me being a super calamari fan, anything that's fresh appeals to me. A slightly better QC would help though, as there were some really huge pieces clumped together and had thick batter that covered the taste of squid rings.

Nacho Fries ($6.70)

The serving of this shocked us as we'd expected it to serve as our sides, given that we were eating at around 3pm. It was a huge bowl, bigger than the spaghetti, but awesome for sharing! Just that we didn't expect such huge servings and over-ordered (again). The shoestring fries had special seasoning that brought out the savory bits and were fried just right, with no soggy fries at all! Coupled with the cheese sauce, it was a great blend of flavours. The beef bits, however, gave a slight 'mexican' taste to it, perhaps it was seasoned with jalepenos to give that twist of flavour.

Brownie with Very Berry Ice-cream ($4.80)

Same as the one you can find at Island Creamery, the secret to great brownies is probably serving it warm. I like how the brownie doesn't have overpowering chocolate taste (chocoholics might disagree with me) yet brought up the slight sweetness of chocolates and wasn't too sticky. The nuts added into the brownie also added to the varied texture of the brownie, giving it a homemade touch. The berry icecream, however, was quite disappointing as it had many icy bits to it, and wasn't smooth icecream. It felt like it had probably been placed in the fridge for a prolonged period of time.

Overall, it was a good experience and I would love to re-visit and try their burgers! After all, they're supposed to be known for their burgers. The food isn't exactly spectacular, but taking into consideration its ambience, some hits, and the affordability (given the huge servings), it is worth a visit. It's a really nice place for chillin' out and I can imagine it as one of my favourite haunts if I were still a student!

Dissapointed!

My wife and me live in Bukit Timah and we came across the Burger Shack a some time back. We always loved the burgers. The meat was so tasty and juicy you did not need to add any sauce. The buns were soft and yummy and you could easily eat them anytime without anything on. Put together with a slight hint of sauce and minimal additions, I felt that this was one of the better burgers in Singapore, and all for under $8! It was giving 'Relish' down the road a run for the money!! A really tasty burger with fresh meat that was just lightly spiced on a wonderful homemade bun for under $10!

Today we visited the burger shack after what must have been a year. Same place, same staff (I think) but some things were different. It wasn't just a 'Burger' shack anymore. It had chicken wings, steak, pasta etc... And my usual order of a Double Burger turned out weird. First it came on plastic plates. What happened to the cool metal ones from before? Then the buns were different. The bun had way too much bread in it that it overwhelmed the meat in the burger. Furthermore it was very dry. Having a dry bun on a burger is poison! Next the meat tasted weird. After a few bites, I realized why. The meat was old and it had been overspiced to cover the smell and taste (of frozen old meat)! What happened to the fresh meant from before?

So a few things must have happened in the last year. Either

1) New chef who wanted to try something different OR

2) New management who's main priority is cutting cost and increasing the menu range to attract more customers.

The burgers are edible, but frankly, no more tasty. Dry buns and old meat don't sit well with me. I guess since most of the clientele are school students from the neigbourhood, the management assumed no one would notice that the quality of the food had gone done. Though I have to admit that the fries were still good!

Its a pity. Another one of those hidden neighbourhood gems that has become just another fast food tasteless and nameless establishments..