Portobello5 votes

Supper3 votes

Nigel Lian
 • 22 May 2014 2 reviews 10 followers
Overall
Somehow stumbled upon some reviews of the place and was intrigued by the reviews I saw. They weren't your usual reviews but users used the words "Hidden gem", "rare find" etc... That was something unusually delightful so I had to check it out!
When we reached the place, the whole setting seemed totally homey and dull in the good kind of way. The restaurant menu, décor, ambience seemed to slow time down and transform our dinner into an experience. Good eating places these days require a fair bit of booking, shoving, q-ing and it simply turns the dinner mood into a quick, rushed affair. So you could see why I was absolutely pleased! We were tucked into our table and given quaint but simple menus to order from. The server announced some specials for the day which was good as it shows they do customize their dishes so it won't be the same old stuff everyday!

Read more at my blog!

Must tries: Portobello, Lava Cake, Panna Cotta, Squid Ink Pasta, Tagliatelle Tartufo

After Work, Ala Carte, Anniversary, Business Dining, Corporate Events, Dinner, Fine Dining, Formal Events, Hidden Find, Private Dining, Quiet, Relaxed, Romance/First Dates, Wine Lists

Weighty Man
 • 22 Mar 2014 708 reviews 83 followers
Overall
We were delighted to find this restaurant close to our home and made a date to have dinner there.

Food:  We had the burato mozzarella cheese and it was well made and served.  The squid rings were also well fried and the sauce interesting.  Pastas:  The seafood pasta in tomato, mushroom and scallops cabonara, were delicious, fresh sauce and fresh seafood used in all dishes.  The calzone was made from fresh dough (can smell the yeast) and my favourite dish was the meat lovers main course - samples of their meats:  lamb, beef, chicken piled into a pyramid.  Delicious food all round.  Had the lava cake too,  so so.

Value:  pricey but the good ingredients account for it.

Service: A bit understaffed but the lady server managed it pretty well for a weekday night.

Ambience:  Quiet, comfortable and friendly.

Must tries: Seafood cabonara pasta, Seafood tomato pasta, Mozzarella Burato

MissTamChiak
 • 17 Feb 2014 158 reviews 108 followers
Overall
Tucked away in a quiet residential area of Bukit Batok, Cacio e Pepe is a casual and cosy Italian Restaurant. This feels like a neighbourhood trattoria, like in Italy, where people can pop by and not worry about having to dress up. The chefs are trained by one of the owners’ Italian mother-in-law.

The pasta menu isn’t just confined to the just the usual spaghetti Bolognese. There is an array of linguine, penne and spaghetti cooked in various ways to appeal to both cream-sauce lovers and those who prefer something lighter on the palate.

Tagliatelle al Tartufo ($24) is my favourite. The homemade egg pasta is tossed with scallops and prawns in truffle cream sauce. Ok I am biased because of the truffle cream sauce. But the tasty sauce is really aromatic and not overpowering. The egg pasta is equally good and because it is homemade, you need to give them some time to prepare.

There are plenty more other dishes that I will gladly eat again, such as Risotto al Nero de Seppia ($20). The Italian Arborio rice was cooked to perfection, tossed with QQ prawns, calamari, clams and mussels with squid ink sauce. It is a good indicator of quality and is well balanced and very tasty.

The decor is homey, the atmosphere is warm and the service is friendly. The boss is very friendly and it makes us feel like we are having dinner at a friend’s house. More importantly, the food is up to scratch as well. Pasta is done al dante, sauces are tasty and prices are really reasonable!