Cafe Oliv has closed.

Summary

Brownie, Lamb shank, Set dinner, Beer Battered Fish, Mudpie, Black Angus Rib Eye Steak, Baked cheese scallop, soft shell crab with century egg, Bangers & Mash, Beef stew with pilaf rice, Blueberry Cheesecake, Chargrilled Bratwurst Snail & Spicy Italian Sausages, Crab bisque, Desserts, Escargot, German Chicken Cheese Sausage Platter, Grilled whole scallop, Mini trio burger, Mixed Platter, Salmon Linguine, Salty egg calamari, Sirloin Steak, Smoke duck salad, Soft Shell Crabs Biscuit Fritter, bacon, bbq pork ribs, beef stew, everything, mini cod burger, sets, spinach with balsamic oil and vinaigrette View all
Dinner, Lunch, Children/Family, Quiet, Large Groups/Gathering, After Work, Hidden Find, Romance/First Dates, Girls Night Out, Chillout, Boys Night Out, Cheap Eat/Budget, Vibrant/Noisy, Brunch, Supper, People Watching, Private Dining View all

Terrible Service

Ambience 1| Service 1

I made a reservation for my family to dine at the restaurant at 7.30pm tonight (Friday night). I had purchased some online discount vouchers and had followed the instructions on the vouchers to make the required reservation.

The restaurant was crowded both inside and out when we arrived. We approached a lady server at the restaurant entrance to tell her we had a reservation. She gave a hassled nod and went into the restaurant...she never came back. After waiting in confusion for a while, we decided to enter the restaurant to find another server. We approached a young male server this time, and informed him we had a 7.30 reservation. He checked the reservation book, then looked up and announced that all the preceding reservations had arrived late, so none of the tables are available yet?! We therefore asked the logical question of how long did we have to wait for our table then. He didn't even bother to answer that inquiry before turning away from us to carry on with whatever other task he had!

We stood around with the rest of the perplexed waiting crowd, watching the weekend dinner chaos which the restaurant was definitely not equipped to handle. From conversations around us we gather we weren't the only customers who had made reservations for dinner but arrived to find that our reservation was not fulfilled. What is the use of requiring reservations to be made then??

It wasn't only the service that was abysmal. Parking around the area was also terrible. There were 5 of us in the dinner party, and we arrived in 3 separate cars. 2 of the cars were unable to get any parking despite circling around for 20min. Since we were completely ignored and the rest of our party could not find parking, we decided to cut our losses at 7.50pm and left for an alternative dinner spot.

This is a really unpleasant 1st impression of the restaurant, if not for the vouchers i'll never return again. Would not have purchased those vouchers if not for the stellar reviews preceding mine on HGW. As the situation stands I'm going to try to get a refund on those vouchers because I really have no interest in trying out the food here. No matter how good the food may be, such poor service will still result in a bitter aftertaste in my mouth.

Most helpful reviews for (Closed) Cafe Oliv

A nice little spot!

I have eaten here a couple of times and both times the food has been excellent.

A bit noisy on the pavement for dining, but inside was no problem at all.

I originally found it whilst diving for cover in a rainstorm, a nice little find!

Inexpensive and tasty western food

I had pleasant food experience to share on Cafe Oliv. I went there twice for the set lunch which costs abt S$11.90. I tried the pan fried dory fish is good and the sausage was juicy and tasty. The ambience is quiet and peaceful. Enjoyed the quiet ambience and the service is not too bad. It is value for money. Do check it out.

highly recommend, fantastic taste at cheap price

Went out this place with colleagues to dine in. The atmosphere was nice even though it is not spacious. The menu was good and have plenty of choice. I ordered mushroom soup (they have different soup for everyday, so you must ask the waiter), beef stew with rice and brownie ice cream. The taste was fantastic. The sauce was great that I finish everything on my plate. My colleagues also were happy with their pasta order. The restaurant does have valuable lunch set at 16++ but I dont have chace to try it.
The only minus point about it is its location. We need to use GPS to locate the place.

great find!

Bought a groupon for Angus Beef Ribeye Steak set meal (inclusive of soup, drink and brownie dessert).

The beef is the best I've ever had, at this price range of restaurants. So good and tender! The brownie ice cream was fantastic as well.

It was well worth it and very value for money, I'd definitely go back again.

Total I spent was 18 for each set.

Affordable and yummy!

For pictures and full review, pls visit:

If you are looking for affordable and delicious western food, Café Oliv at 220 East Coast Road fits the bill! The prices are very reasonable; taste and quality of food is delightful. The only problem is finding a car park. Dear and I went on a Sunday for lunch and spent 20 min looking for somewhere to park the car; we landed up parking about 7 min walk away from the café.

Décor and service was average but the main thing we came here for was to try the food, which had great reviews on a couple of food blogs I visited.

We had:

Salted egg calamari. I like anything that has salted egg in it, wish the calamari could have a more “qq” texture though….

Garlic Pesto aglio olio spaghetti with scallops. The pasta was well flavored, scallops were huge and fresh.

Dory fish with salted egg chilli aglio olio spaghetti. This was the first time I came across pasta with salted egg, ordered it because it sounds interesting. It was very yummy too!

Verdict: Great food with inexpensive price tags but we are not keen on returning because of the headache we experienced trying to get a carpark.