Back to CafebizLevel 1, Traders Hotel Singapore, 1A Cuscaden Road

High Tea3 votes

Chubby Botak Koala
 • 11 Oct 2014 268 reviews 20 followers
For the complete Chubby Botak Koala dining experience, click here:

As part of the celebration of Rebranding Traders Hotel Singapore to Hotel Jen Singapore, Little Devil and I got invited for Super Brunch by Hotel Jen Singapore. Since today is a special occasions for the Hotel Jen, the spread was just superb and it is impossible to cover everything. However, we did try our best and the following are our recommendations.

Appetizer (Smoked Salmon, Prosciutto with Rock Melon, Foie Gras & Apple Terrine and Sun Dried Tomatoes). These dishes basically our wake up call and kick start our appetite that was still in sleeping mode. Smoked salmon is good and fresh. The thinly sliced prosciutto perfectly matched with rock melon. While the apple provide the sweet touch to balance the smooth and velvety terrine foie grass. LD enjoys the sundried tomatoes so much, she went back for second round.

Roast Selection (Roast Beef and French Lamb Rack). Weekend Roast always have a special place in my heart and my tummy. The roast beef were between medium rare to medium and thinly sliced upon serving. Mine was still pinkish and slightly bloody in the middle. Just like the way I like it. The meat is just tender and succulent, and goes well with the yorkshire pudding (kudos from LD on the yorkshire pudding as it is baked to perfection) and the gravy. The same apply to the lamb rack, tender and pink in the middle not over roasted. The potato gratin can be better with more cheese in between the potatoes. Yum Yum.

Cantonese Roast Selection – Suckling Pig Only. Where there are many options like roast pork, roast duck, char siew and suckling pig, our recommendation that you just stick with the suckling pig and forget about the rest. Paying ode to the little piggy, it has minimum fat, crispy skin and tender and succulent meat. Together with the sweet sauce, it is just a foodgasm.

Desserts (Lemon Meringue Pie & Custard Puff). The taste of the lemon curd and meringue has a nice balance between the sweetness of the sugar and tanginess of the lemon curd. The curd is light and smooth, sitting nicely on golden brown crust. The custard puff is just light, smooth and not overly sweet. The apple strudel and pear tart tartin are quite ordinary.

While they are quite a few a selections for sushi, sashimi and cold seafood on offer, we find that it does not really give us the WOW feeling. I have to say our tummy prefer something warm and hearty for brunch, cold seafood dish are at odds with us that day.

Overall, it is indeed a Super Brunch. The buffet spread was extensive with a few items that we mentioned are so much better compare to the rest. We consider this one of the heaviest brunch we ever had.

Thank you very much for the Hotel Jen Team for the invitation and asking us to come earlier so we can take gorgeous pictures of the Super Brunch Spread. Cheers!!!

Must tries: roasted beef, French Lamb Rack, Suckling Pig, Appetizer, desserts, Lemon Meringue Pie

Ala Carte, Brunch, Buffet, Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch, Parties

ArcticStar
 • 22 Aug 2014 274 reviews 1 follower
Overall
It was time for dinner with *Sidney again, catching up time. I walked into the dimly lit CafeBiz for their 49th dishes for National Day buffet dinner. Well, it wasnt National Day that I went, but close, and they have the 49 local dishes to commemorate our nation's 49th birthday. The understated, elegant restaurant was crowded with diners, but the service crew was rather attentive and efficient overall.

There a huge spread of exotic cuisine in this International buffet concept - and I took a walk around trying to decide on what to eat. Tough luck I had to feel under the weather on this day!

The food arrangement was a little messy, in my humble opinion. Anyway, there were Japanese counters, Chinese food counters, fruit counters, seafood counters etc so far, along with some very vintage Singaporean / Chinese kitchenware (old fashioned flask, teapots and mugs etc) adorning the various shelves.

Even the Desserts station is so prettily decorated - comprising of many different types of cakes, tarts, fondue, miniatures in glass jars, herbal jelly (guileng gao) etc. They also have lots of local desserts such as Malay kueh, the Chinese ang ku kueh etc.

Another section showcased the 49 dishes of local cuisine - Chilli Crab, Chinese vegetables, fried Hokkien mee etc, all labelled with a number and short description. There are also dimsum items, fried chicken, Nasi Lemak, and Indian dishes such as curry, etc. One is definitely spoilt for choice here.

My first plate was some palate teaser of the 49 local items - fried Hokkien noodles with prawns and squids, a portion of the Chilli Crab, a piece of fried squid, Sambal Kangkong and Pig Trotter! All the items were tasty and cooked in flavors of the goodness of authentic local cuisines.

For more detailed information and photos, please feel free to visit:

Buffet, Children/Family, Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Lunch
  • Local cuisine
  • Desserts
  • Seafood

Happyeatz
 • 05 Jul 2014 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Food quality has dropped since the last time I was there, the cold seafood was not fresh and it was tough.  Which is disappointing.