Back to Candlenut Kitchen#01-03, Dorsett Residences, 331 New Bridge...

Buah Keluak Ice Cream3 votes

My Chef Doeuvre
 • 31 Aug 2014 11 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Chef Malcom Lee is making news with his modern take on our well loved Pernanakan cuisine. We ate a total of 15 dishes and came out feeling well fed and happy, although with a slight dent on the pocket. If you have a thing for buah keluak in particular, give it a try. You will be surprised by what the menu has to offer!

For a greater scoop of my experience at Candlenut, click on:

Must tries: Buah Keluak Ice Cream, Crispy Pork, Buah Keluak Short Rib

Anniversary, Birthdays, Business Dining, Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering

Weighty Man
 • 18 Jun 2014 705 reviews 81 followers
Overall
Nearly went to the old location as advised by friends but luckily I checked HGW and find this new place at New Bridge Rd.

Food- did not order buah keluak because it doesn't have whole nuts in it. just the paste in a gravy.  Ting - failure.  Other flops were:  Bak Wan Kepitaing (crab meat balls) in a primarily chicken stock with minimal bamboo shoot.  Ting - flop.

However there were some good dishes:  We enjoyed the Babi Poh Teh,  soy bean paste with pork belly,  every piece was delicious;  the black squid ink with baby squid.  Use the large squids lah not the baby ones,  large squids have more bite and meat;  the winged bean salad (four corner bean with lime based dressing), but please don't use the Tai Sun ikan bilis, and rock hard cashew nuts as dressing,  Doesn't go with this dish !

The Ngoh Hiang was so so,   Didn't order dessert cause we were too full with the large pot of free rice !  Free cold water too !  Would go back for this reason.

Value:  Acceptable price for the good dishes,  waste of money for the others.  All are small servings meant for 1 pax to eat.  Not enough to share with others.

Service:  Part timers trying their best.

Ambience:  No trace of Peranakan except for the cards and paintings done by Cherry Law.

Must tries: Babi Pong Teh (Pork belly with soy bean paste), Black ink baby squid, Ngoh Hiang

Anniversary, Boys Night Out, Business Dining

foodolicious
 • 02 Mar 2014 136 reviews 0 follower
Overall
So, it was my colleagues’ farewell dinner and we brought her here. A very good peranakan restaurant I would say. There were some fusion dishes such as the desserts, duck and pork cheek while others were more traditional and cooked really well. However, it didn’t have the wow factor as I guess I am quite used to peranakan food and also there were also some misses. Things always feel less precious if it isn’t rare, doesn’t it. So for 6 people we spent $194 and portions were actually quite small. There’s free flow rice though but rice wasn’t well cooked yesterday night as it is not fluffy as slightly bitty in the middle. Not enough water used perhaps. Service is good though. So, is this restaurant worth a visit? Yes, it is if you really want some good peranakan food with a fresh perspective and will be a nice place to bring your overseas friends too but get the kitchen to make it less spicy for them!

For more details, please visit: