Back to Candlenut Kitchen#01-03, Dorsett Residences, 331 New Bridge...

Weighty Man
 • 18 Jun 2014 694 reviews 79 followers
Overall
Nearly went to the old location as advised by friends but luckily I checked HGW and find this new place at New Bridge Rd.

Food- did not order buah keluak because it doesn't have whole nuts in it. just the paste in a gravy.  Ting - failure.  Other flops were:  Bak Wan Kepitaing (crab meat balls) in a primarily chicken stock with minimal bamboo shoot.  Ting - flop.

However there were some good dishes:  We enjoyed the Babi Poh Teh,  soy bean paste with pork belly,  every piece was delicious;  the black squid ink with baby squid.  Use the large squids lah not the baby ones,  large squids have more bite and meat;  the winged bean salad (four corner bean with lime based dressing), but please don't use the Tai Sun ikan bilis, and rock hard cashew nuts as dressing,  Doesn't go with this dish !

The Ngoh Hiang was so so,   Didn't order dessert cause we were too full with the large pot of free rice !  Free cold water too !  Would go back for this reason.

Value:  Acceptable price for the good dishes,  waste of money for the others.  All are small servings meant for 1 pax to eat.  Not enough to share with others.

Service:  Part timers trying their best.

Ambience:  No trace of Peranakan except for the cards and paintings done by Cherry Law.

Must tries: Babi Pong Teh (Pork belly with soy bean paste), Black ink baby squid, Ngoh Hiang

Anniversary, Boys Night Out, Business Dining

foodolicious
 • 02 Mar 2014 136 reviews 0 follower
Overall
So, it was my colleagues’ farewell dinner and we brought her here. A very good peranakan restaurant I would say. There were some fusion dishes such as the desserts, duck and pork cheek while others were more traditional and cooked really well. However, it didn’t have the wow factor as I guess I am quite used to peranakan food and also there were also some misses. Things always feel less precious if it isn’t rare, doesn’t it. So for 6 people we spent $194 and portions were actually quite small. There’s free flow rice though but rice wasn’t well cooked yesterday night as it is not fluffy as slightly bitty in the middle. Not enough water used perhaps. Service is good though. So, is this restaurant worth a visit? Yes, it is if you really want some good peranakan food with a fresh perspective and will be a nice place to bring your overseas friends too but get the kitchen to make it less spicy for them!

For more details, please visit:

pickledpeas
 • 19 Feb 2014 126 reviews 5 followers
Overall
To see the full review with pictures, click here.

Candle Nut is nestled in the quiet spot that is Dorsett Residences, unobtrusive and demure but serves some pretty good food that was affordable to boot.

Their starters all sound amazing and so we ordered four of them, starting with the kueh pie tee [$8], which you get to assemble yourselves so the freshly fried shell does not get soggy.

You should come in a party of 4 since so many of the dishes here seem to be served in fours (the Satay, the Kueh Pie Tee)

They used chicken thigh for the satay [$10] and it was really juicy, though it looks a bit like American styled saté that is super meaty and inauthentic. These were marinated all the way through though and very tender

We ordered Yeye’s Curry [$14] which is pretty mild, somewhat like a Thai green curry. I was initially apprehensive because of the green chilli padi in this dish as stated in the menu but it was totally not spicy at all. Certainly not as much as the sambal kang kong, which we ordered, and was FIERY (more so than typical zhi char places outside).

The turmeric wings [$8] were delicious, freshened up with a spritz of calamansi. Most of the fat had rendered (as I prefer it to be) and the spice coating was perfect. They served about 6 of these.

The ngoh hiang [$10] here is one of the best I’ve ever had. This is highly recommended – it’s juicy and crispy and stuffed with pork and mushrooms and chopped water chestnuts.

The pork cheek glazed with kecap manis [$14] was delightful if a bit overgrilled. Pork cheek when braised is tender and melty, this one was a bit more elastic/tough but still delicious with the saffron and goes fantastically with the chilled green apple salad on the side (which I thought was cucumber)

We had the milo bar [$9] for dessert – the menu is not very descriptive of what a milo bar is exactly but it’s got a truffle type texture (coated with milo powder) but the center is less melty than the typical buttercream filling of a chocolate truffle. It comes with chopped nuts, chocolate coated pop rocks, candied cashews, and some vanilla sauce. This was delicious and just the right amount for 3 people (after the humongous spread we had).

Every table gets an enamel tureen of steamed rice to eat with all the dishes, family style. There is no charge for the rice and you can request more if the sambal kang kong gets too hot to handle.

I really like the quaintness of this restaurant and the Peranakan decor. Our bill came up to $120 because well, we ordered a LOT of things to try. The portions aren’t that big (so you can try lots of different things), but I wouldn’t recommend this much for 3 people :P Maybe 2-3 appetizers would be good enough.