Review for Carvers & Co

Western
Address: 43 East Coast Road, 428764
06 Jun 2014

Meaty goodness

I was expecting some meaty, hearty Italian food and was definitely not disappointed. Former stakeholder in One Man Coffee, Sarah Lin, now has this 40-seater to call her own, so expect some of the menu items to be familiar (like the toad in the hole, still served with candied bacon jam, $15 - this time not as cloying, upped with truffle oil). Coffees ($4-$6.50) are as good, made mainly by Yue Ling, who honed his skills in Melbourne. Having taken over short-lived Leonardo's, #carversandco is now the cosy space for peanut butter and banana French toast ($11.90, add $3 for additional candied bacon - aka 'Elvis'), turkey (rosemary-, thyme- and bacon-roasted, served with glazed carrots and soft mash, $30), Margaret River wagyu served with thyme -roasted garlic confit a addictive balsamic caramelized onions (serves one, two or four, $40/$75/$150), and a stunning porchetta served with apple chutney and aioli ($30). More details, to be updated here (http://www.hungrygowhere.com/gallery/hot-new-restaurants-bars-and-cafs-*gid-46423101/photos/#42d10100) in a bit.
porchetta, candied bacon, French toast, wagyu roast, daily specials, coffee

More reviews of Carvers & Co

Great for family/friend brunches

Went there for a family brunch on Sunday morning. Their big breakfast set (carver's breakfast I think) was very generous. Sous vide egg was great too. Commends to the staff for his friendly service and recommendations - made us felt like we made another friend. The place was a bit small and gets a little noisy but I guess that's the cafe vibe.

Yet another burger joint

Yes, yet another burger joint. While I'm happy about the variety and competition the various eateries offer, I'm honestly a little jaded by the "famous" or "must try" places that serve middling burgers. But I digress. We were at Carvers & Co for a taste of their much touted beef burger on a sweltering weekend afternoon.

Occupying one of the small shophouse units along East Coast Road, just opposite Roxy Square, Carvers sports an industrial chic interior complete with overhanging halogen lamps and heavy steel chairs. One gripe I had about the place. We were seated next to the fold-able doors with the glass panels and could make out second hand cigarette smoke seeping in from outside (we later found out that there was a "designated" cigarette disposal tin just outside and folks from adjourning units were disposing of their cigarettes there as well).

Pork Get In My Bellay! - As amusing as this dished sounded, it was average at very best. The pork belly came across as very crisp and way too dry; on a bed of crisp bread with a splattering of siracha mayonnaise for that spicy but less than useful kick. Finishing this proved quite a chore and we gave up after a while.

The (AWOL) Sergeant - Grilled to a medium rare with a mildly salty bovine taste, the beef patty came topped with melted cheddar and a layer of caramelised onions for a dollop of sweetness; sandwiched between two mildly crisp burger buns spread with a thin layer of butter and mustard. Overall pretty decent but I personally would have preferred the buns without the mustard. The additional streaky bacon (+$3) came extremely crisp but was way too dry for my liking (it felt like I was eating a cracker instead of bacon).

Truffle Fries - Crisp and topped with grated cheese, served with mayonnaise but where's the truffle oil?

At $44 for the both of us, it wasn't expensive but the food was rather disappointing. The beef burger was the only thing that was decent (but nowhere as good as Suprette's) and I don't foresee myself ever returning again. Once again, so much for the hype...

Wagyu disappointment.

After weeks of craving for good beef, I decided to head down here for dinner since it is one of my bookmark spots to try. As beef lovers, both my daughter and I were truly disappointmented, especially after reading raving reviews about it. The beef arrived appeared rather pale, the neat was not warm enough to the taste, and too chewy even for a medium rare request. The roast chicken that my husband had outshine the signature beef with its meat tenderness and flavor. My daughter even forsake the beef, to steal seconds from her daddy's dish. Though the service was good, I did not order dessert that was previously on our mind, the wagyu beef had dampen the spirit for anything else.
Management response from Carvers & Co, published 12 Oct 2015
Dear Kathryn, we're very sorry to hear you had a bad experience, especially with a menu item that many have come to enjoy. We'd like to invite you and one more guest to come down and try the Wagyu again and of course it will be on us. We'd also like to take the chance to meet you and talk through exactly what happened so we can ensure such occurences don't happen to you, or any other of our valued customers. If you'd do us this courtesy, please get in touch with me at the contact details provided The Management of Carvers & Co

Wagyu disappoinment.

After weeks of craving for some good beef, I decided to head down here for dinner since it is one of my bookmark spots to try out. In the end, the roasted chicken my husband had wins over the wagyu beef i had. The wagyu roast was supposed to be one of the signature dish to try. But the beef came looking quite pale, a bit not so warm to the taste and too chewy even fir a medium rare request. Both a beef lover, my daughter and I were truly disappointed on the wagyu beef, especially getting such taste of it, from after reading the ravings reviews. I did not even tried the dessert, as the beef had dampen my spirits for anything else. Though the chicken did go well for my husband and my daughter stealing seconds from his plate. The service was good too.
Management response from Carvers & Co, published 14 Oct 2015
Dear Kathryn, we're sorry you had this experience, especially with an menu item that so many of our customers have come to love and order repeatedly. If you'd do us the courtesy, we'd like to invite you down to Carvers to try it again, and of course your meal will be on us. We'd also appreciate the chance to talk to you so we can ascertain what exactly happened during that service, so we can take steps to ensure that this doesn't happen to you, or any of our other valued clients again. Please do contact me at the details listen above. Wen - Manager of Carvers & Co
Overall

Definitely a Must-Go cafe!

Best place to go to when you are craving for an awesome cup of coffee, and some tasty Steak/Hash/Egg to go along with it! you will be spoilt for choice!