Back to Chabuton#B2-01, 313 @ Somerset, 313 Orchard Road

mediumrareandothers
 • 24 Sep 2014 11 reviews 0 follower
Overall
For more photos and reviews, click here: http://mediumrareandothers.blogspot.com/2014/08/chabuton-ramen.html

Not one of the best ramen places around after all the recent surge of authentic ramen stores in Singapore recent years, especially by a Michelin Star chef!

In Orchard area, there're quite a handful of ramen stores around this price as well.

It was touted as, "The ingredients used at Chabuton Singapore are directly imported from Japan or produced by local companies appointed by the Japanese team. The recipes used at Chabuton Singapore are the same as the other Chabuton outlets in Japan and Thailand, supervised by eminent chef, Mr. Yasuji Morizumi, the first ramen chef to ever receive a Michelin Star... While 14 outlets have sprung up in Thailand over the past four years" Hence we were attracted to try it out first hand. There was no queue, which I'd have expected.

Servers were friendly but perhaps they were new, some staff seemed unsure.

We opted for the hard noodles. which is quite tasty. The Miso Ramen ($12.40) is the nicer one, than Chabuton Tonkotsu Ramen ($11.90). However, both soups get boring after a while.

You get to choose between 2 different sizes, junior and standard, but we both felt the standard size is actually better for a meal. The junior size is quite price-friendly though. If you don't opt for the top-up ($3 for boiled egg and extra cha siu) the ramen is, also, very boring by itself.

Overall, I wouldn't return here for ramen. There's many other options around town and Singapore, do follow my blog!

clairea
 • 02 Sep 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Had high expectations before going to Chabuton as the chef has a michelin star. However, the tonkatsu ramen's soup was bland. I thought the side dishes were better than the ramen itself. Don't waste your money. There's plenty of better ramen restaurants in Singapore to choose from.

Sihan Lee
 • 26 Aug 2014 234 reviews 40 followers
Overall
Read my complete review here

Just a week ago, I was next door sampling the offerings of Saboten at their newest outlet housed in the quiet enclaves of the Orchard Central basement levels. The opening of Chabuton was a welcomed diversity to the area, the bright white furnishings of the establishment suggesting a focus on food rather than creating a chic ambiance.

Impressive credentials have driven swarms of Ramen hungry fans to its doors in the first few weeks of its start-up in Singapore and I trod lightly around the media rave and heavy publicity. Only with a slight plea from S prompted me to make an early trip on a weekend before the lines formed. Spearheaded by Chef Yasuji Morizumi, the restaurant demands respect with the first ever Michelin star being awarded to his Ramen restaurant. I arrived at its doors with a wall of expectations and vacant stomach.

Perusing the predictable menu at lightning speed, I decidedly placed my bets on the signature Chabuton Tonkatsu Ramen ($8.30 for small/ $11.90 for large) while S opted for his usual miso version, the Chabuton Miso Ramen ( $8.60 for small/ $12.40 for large). For an additional $3.00, we got our mandatory side order of soft boiled egg and Buta Kakuni (Japanese Braised Pork Belly).

Service was attentive but yet lacking in the sincerity you often find with Japanese hospitality. Our dishes, or rather our steaming bowls of noodles reached the table at lightning speed whilst the sides crept like tortoises to the bar at various stages of our meal. My Tonkatsu ramen looked every bit the picture perfect representation of a comforting bowl of goodness, unfortunately, it fell short with the noodles perhaps a tad too eggy and chewy. The hint of alkaline on the finishing cheapening the dish altogether. The soup base was deficient in natural pork bone richness, possessing an over salted quality. All was forgotten when I bit into the char-siu, its smoky tenderness reflecting the chef's mastery of flavors. I wish there was more of that as the soft boiled egg and buta kakuni missed the mark with it's hard-boiled interiors and the latter falling flat with a chewy texture that required at least another 4 hours of braising to achieve that level of delicateness.

The Restaurant's recent opening seems to draw in a never ending spate of customers into their dining room. All embracing high hopes for the ramen, as much as I would consider the affordable prices to be a major draw factor, I reckon a meal here leaves much to be desired. There are too many unmistakable misses in execution and quality that requires immediate rectification in order to keep it's following as it settles into it's Orchard Central Perch. I shall be back in a couple of months...