Chabuton ([email protected])

Summary

Chabuton Tonkotsu Ramen, Kaki Fry, Buta Kakuni, Chicken Tatsuta Age, Hitokuchi Gyoza, The Kurobuta View all
After Work, Dinner, Lunch View all

Ramen with the Stars

Read my complete review here

Just a week ago, I was next door sampling the offerings of Saboten at their newest outlet housed in the quiet enclaves of the Orchard Central basement levels. The opening of Chabuton was a welcomed diversity to the area, the bright white furnishings of the establishment suggesting a focus on food rather than creating a chic ambiance.

Impressive credentials have driven swarms of Ramen hungry fans to its doors in the first few weeks of its start-up in Singapore and I trod lightly around the media rave and heavy publicity. Only with a slight plea from S prompted me to make an early trip on a weekend before the lines formed. Spearheaded by Chef Yasuji Morizumi, the restaurant demands respect with the first ever Michelin star being awarded to his Ramen restaurant. I arrived at its doors with a wall of expectations and vacant stomach.

Perusing the predictable menu at lightning speed, I decidedly placed my bets on the signature Chabuton Tonkatsu Ramen ($8.30 for small/ $11.90 for large) while S opted for his usual miso version, the Chabuton Miso Ramen ( $8.60 for small/ $12.40 for large). For an additional $3.00, we got our mandatory side order of soft boiled egg and Buta Kakuni (Japanese Braised Pork Belly).

Service was attentive but yet lacking in the sincerity you often find with Japanese hospitality. Our dishes, or rather our steaming bowls of noodles reached the table at lightning speed whilst the sides crept like tortoises to the bar at various stages of our meal. My Tonkatsu ramen looked every bit the picture perfect representation of a comforting bowl of goodness, unfortunately, it fell short with the noodles perhaps a tad too eggy and chewy. The hint of alkaline on the finishing cheapening the dish altogether. The soup base was deficient in natural pork bone richness, possessing an over salted quality. All was forgotten when I bit into the char-siu, its smoky tenderness reflecting the chef's mastery of flavors. I wish there was more of that as the soft boiled egg and buta kakuni missed the mark with it's hard-boiled interiors and the latter falling flat with a chewy texture that required at least another 4 hours of braising to achieve that level of delicateness.

The Restaurant's recent opening seems to draw in a never ending spate of customers into their dining room. All embracing high hopes for the ramen, as much as I would consider the affordable prices to be a major draw factor, I reckon a meal here leaves much to be desired. There are too many unmistakable misses in execution and quality that requires immediate rectification in order to keep it's following as it settles into it's Orchard Central Perch. I shall be back in a couple of months...

Most helpful reviews for Chabuton ([email protected])

ramen review

Warm welcome by staff, with guide to table. Menu given almost immediately. Ambience gd with modern English music. Lighting warm and bright. Chosen tonkatsu ramen 12.9 with added egg. Food served within 5 minutes. Additional serving of noodle is at $2.5. Soup is rather bland compared to other tonkatsu ramen. Noodle still has the alkaline smell. Somehow the egg from 711 is better than here. More flavourful and tasty.

Salty, be sure to order a drink!

I have been here 2 times for lunch. The first time, I had the lunch set, and found the ramen salty. The 2nd time, I had the char siew rice and although I enjoyed the flavor, my tongue was slightly painful at the end of the meal due to oversalting.

First Michelin-starred ramen chef in Singapore

Full review at http://www.littletinysun.com/2015/02/first-michelin-starred-ramen-chef-in.html

It was my first time meeting a Michelin-starred ramen chef! Yasuji Morizumi is the world's FIRST ramen chef to attain a Michelin star. The genius behind Chabuton Singapore, he was in town recently to launch an exclusive ramen dish. Here's a review of a bowl of Michelin-starred ramen as well as some side dishes.

Find out the prizes and thoughts on the following items that I've tried:
Hitokuchi Gyoza
Ika Karaage (Fried Squid)
Premium Tonkotsu Ramen: The Kurobuta
The ramen egg reminded me of a Kinder Surprise — while most Japanese restaurants serve HALVED eggs, Chabuton throw in an ...

Read more: http://www.littletinysun.com/2015/02/first-michelin-starred-ramen-chef-in.html

chabuton @ somerset 313

Only available for a limited period of time i.e. 17 Jan to 31 March 2015, diners get to enjoy this exquisite dish created by Chef Yasuji Morizumi - the Kurobuta.

The pork was tender and succulent. The broth was something unique and flavourful.

full review and picture @ http://shauneeie.blogspot.sg/2015/02/chabuton-somerset-313.html

Quality ramen at a reasonable pricing

Presenting to you the first exclusive ramen dish created by world's first Michelin-starred ramen chef, Chef Yasuji Morizumi. The premium Tonkotsu Ramen, The Kurobuta is only available from 17 January to 31 March 2015. Get it while stock last!

The blend of tonkotsu and chicken collagen soup is very thick and creamy, it’s also pack with nutritional values. Oh it just melts in your mouth, full of flavour and so savoury. Sadly the egg isn't very consistent, some turned out to be slightly hard boiled. Overall, it is worth trying!

One of my favourite ramen in Chabuton, Shoyu Zaru Ramen aka dipping noodles. I personally prefer thick noodles as compared to the ones in The Kurobuta. And Fried Squid is a must to order, crispy and chewy when it's served hot.

For full review: http://nkikichua.blogspot.sg/2015/02/chabutons-premium-tonkotsu-ramen.html