Back to Chao Yue Xuan Seafood Restaurant#01-51/54, UE Square, 207...

AlamakGirl
 • 05 May 2014 68 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Tonight the family has dinner at this restaurant. As the indoor aircon dining area is full, we are seated in 2 tables in non aircon area under the row of fans. Quite cooling.

We start the meal with Cold Crabs. Special cutlery is provided. It is full of roe. Goes quite well with the vinegar dip. Not quite the dish for me as I do not like to use my bare hands.

Next we have the Peking Duck. The sliced skin is served wrapped in crepes, with cucumber and spring onion served on the side. Remember to spread some of the sweet sauce on the crepe and add some cucumber and spring onion before eating. Tastes not bad, but would like the skin to be crispier.

Next is a plate of stir fried greens which I feel is abit too oily but still quite crunchy.

For soup, we are served invidual serving of shark's fin with bean sprouts and coriander on the side. Barely tastes any of the shark's fin.

Next we have one of the signature dishes which is the Steamed Bamboo Clam with Minced Garlic. Have a bit of problems when deciding which cutlery to use as there is fork, knife, spoon and chopsticks. In end uses fork and knife. Like it that there is glass noodle which soaks up the clam's flavours.

Next we have Steamed Cod which is quite juicy with barely any bones.

This is followed with Braised Duck with Cabbage and Bamboo Shoot. Looks spicy and doe not tastes spicy. The vegetable is very flavourful and well braised.

Next is the Stir Fried Lobster with Garlic. Simple but the meat tends to stick onto the shells.

Spinach in Stocks looks like a simple and healthy dish with its assorted mushrooms, carrots and minced pork. Letdown by the funny taste of the canned mushrooms.

Next is the Fried Ee Fu Mian which is simple with some vegetables, but a funny sandy texture.

For dessert, we have

Green Bean Soup with Kelp
Quite unique with the small pieces of seaweed in this dessert.

Yam Paste
Not bad, but seeds are not removed from the gingko nuts found in the dessert.

Also have a serving of Steamed Chicken for takeaway as we have ordered a bit too much and cannot finish the meal. The chicken tastes quite juicy and goes quite well with the minced garlic sauce that served with it.

Overall food is not bad. Service is great with plates changed often and tea refilled often. There valet parking available too, so one does not have to waste time to find parking lot.

chefquak
 • 22 Aug 2013 200 reviews 1 follower
Overall
See my full reviews & photos here = http://chefquak.com/2013/08/22/superb-lobster-abalone-lunch-chao-yue-xuan-on-21aug2013/

this was a superb 8-course set at chao yue xuan and for just S$38 + S$2.50++pax for peanuts, tea & towels.

in terms of quality of ingredients & taste, it was quite superior to the value lobster set i had there previously.  i would say it was equal even better than the fine dining lobster & abalone set at xin cuisine.

the 5 of us were there at 1pm on 21.8.2013, the restaurant was 1/2 full & we had a table at a private corner.

the starter was a shredded chicken in sesame salad. it was good, tasty & the helping was rather large.

next we had star garoupa fillet with beer in hot stone pot (the ala carte price for this dish alone was S$28++), & it was very good, very tasty & the fish fillet were excellent.

the braised whole yoshihama abalone was top quality, excellent in taste & bite & it came with 花胶(fishmaw) & brocoli.

the 1/2 baked lobster (top photo) was again par excellence, very very tasty with the superior soup.

same with the pan-fried kurobuta pork chop.  i thought it looked & tasted like a galbi beef rib cut served in majestic restaurant but the menu said kurobuta. anyhow taste was great!

the poached vegetable with beancurd skin was also very good. i supposed by comparison the ee-fu noodles was ordinary, but it was still a good, not poor, dish.

& the snow fungus with date dessert was refreshing & enjoyable too…really every item was good & i can only sing praises – such excellent ingredients & preparation for soup, lobster, abalone & kurobuta. actually i think it was an incredible deal at S$38 + S$2.50++pax= about S$41nett. i have already bought more vouchers to go back!

Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch

chefquak
 • 06 Apr 2013 200 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Read full reviews & photos in my blog=Value Dinner Set @ Chao Yue Xuan (潮悦轩) on 1.3.2013

bought 2xS$35nett 8-course Chao Yue Xuan (潮悦轩) groupon vouchers, so duly visited the restaurant.
This is the same Ah Yat branch & location at UE Square along Mohamed Sultan Road, only they have changed the name to mean a “pleasing teochew pavilion”..at S$35nett the meal did turn out pleasing enough though nothing teochew
decor & ambience wise though the place is a bit dowdy, and in fact though this branch is located at UE Sqaure, Turf City has better ambience! there were 3 tables of Chinese tourists this evening – I guess F&B is really competitive here & people do need to survive.
1. the salmon sashimi was actually quite good but not really the belly or fatty type which now even some buffet serve, but it was good, not poor.
2. the double-boiled fishmaw(花膠)soup was very good really – sweet, smooth, tasty.
3. the garlic steamed razor (bamboo) clam with tanhoon (glass noodles) was good (every restaurant should really be able to do this well) though Ah Yat at Turf City was better & Long Beach @ Dempsey was better than both, and we didn’t think that serving it without the shell instead of on the shell was a great idea.
4. I cannot really fault this fish chop (2 pieces – very large serving) . The deep-fry was done right crispy & not soggy, but the meal was really filling & we were not into this sweet strawberry sauce thingy & this asian fusion? dish did not match the other menu items. I took 1 piece. My wife did not touch it.
5. the lobster in pumpkin sauce was very nice. It was a mid-size maine lobster, about 450g (& larger than the one we took subsequently at Xin Cuisine). pumpkin sauce is a favourite cooking style with Ah Yat & goes well with crab, I think more so than lobsters. Comparing this with the very light cheese gratin lobster at Xin Cuisine I would think this is better (& of course larger) – though my wife would disagree – but I guess this was more robust in taste & presentation c/w Xin Cuisine’s which can be said to be more fine.
6. This nai bai (奶白) vege was very good!
7. I didn’t get this dish though – the prawn was large & fresh (live right..) & in superior sauce how to go wrong? but it was soggy, not “QQ” (al dente)..& with the fish chop, would be the weakest links in this set.
8. The red bean dessert does not really deserve mention or a photo..haha.:-)
anyway, it was difficult to fault this S$35nett 8-course set – the ingredients like lobster & razor (bamboo) clam were good quality, the salmon & prawn were fresh, soup & vege were good; quality of cooking was not quite there but still above average.
I may not do this too often but I have bought another 2 vouchers, so I am planning to go back before voucher expire

Ala Carte, Dinner