Back to Chao Yue Xuan Seafood Restaurant#01-51/54, UE Square, 207...
chefquak
 • 06 Apr 2013 198 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Read full reviews & photos in my blog=Value Dinner Set @ Chao Yue Xuan (潮悦轩) on 1.3.2013

bought 2xS$35nett 8-course Chao Yue Xuan (潮悦轩) groupon vouchers, so duly visited the restaurant.
This is the same Ah Yat branch & location at UE Square along Mohamed Sultan Road, only they have changed the name to mean a “pleasing teochew pavilion”..at S$35nett the meal did turn out pleasing enough though nothing teochew
decor & ambience wise though the place is a bit dowdy, and in fact though this branch is located at UE Sqaure, Turf City has better ambience! there were 3 tables of Chinese tourists this evening – I guess F&B is really competitive here & people do need to survive.
1. the salmon sashimi was actually quite good but not really the belly or fatty type which now even some buffet serve, but it was good, not poor.
2. the double-boiled fishmaw(花膠)soup was very good really – sweet, smooth, tasty.
3. the garlic steamed razor (bamboo) clam with tanhoon (glass noodles) was good (every restaurant should really be able to do this well) though Ah Yat at Turf City was better & Long Beach @ Dempsey was better than both, and we didn’t think that serving it without the shell instead of on the shell was a great idea.
4. I cannot really fault this fish chop (2 pieces – very large serving) . The deep-fry was done right crispy & not soggy, but the meal was really filling & we were not into this sweet strawberry sauce thingy & this asian fusion? dish did not match the other menu items. I took 1 piece. My wife did not touch it.
5. the lobster in pumpkin sauce was very nice. It was a mid-size maine lobster, about 450g (& larger than the one we took subsequently at Xin Cuisine). pumpkin sauce is a favourite cooking style with Ah Yat & goes well with crab, I think more so than lobsters. Comparing this with the very light cheese gratin lobster at Xin Cuisine I would think this is better (& of course larger) – though my wife would disagree – but I guess this was more robust in taste & presentation c/w Xin Cuisine’s which can be said to be more fine.
6. This nai bai (奶白) vege was very good!
7. I didn’t get this dish though – the prawn was large & fresh (live right..) & in superior sauce how to go wrong? but it was soggy, not “QQ” (al dente)..& with the fish chop, would be the weakest links in this set.
8. The red bean dessert does not really deserve mention or a photo..haha.:-)
anyway, it was difficult to fault this S$35nett 8-course set – the ingredients like lobster & razor (bamboo) clam were good quality, the salmon & prawn were fresh, soup & vege were good; quality of cooking was not quite there but still above average.
I may not do this too often but I have bought another 2 vouchers, so I am planning to go back before voucher expire

Ala Carte, Dinner