Review for Charlie & Co.

AustralianWestern
Address: #B4-56, Ion Orchard, 2 Orchard Turn, 238801
18 Apr 2014

Exceeds Expectations, Good Burger

I really enjoyed my burger here, I found this place the second week I moved to Singapore and found it to be a good substitute for home.  I went there 3 times that week, but Then I started getting a belly so I need to curb it to once a week...oops.

the burgers are pretty tasty.  I've had the classic, the Charlie (loaded), and the southwestern.  The classic has been my favorite by far. The Charlie has a little too much going on in my opinion, but is definitely worth a try. The southwestern was very good and had a nice spice to it, but nothing beats a classic cheese burger.

the burgers are cooked well-done, i typically get mine medium rare.  With that said, your ordering a burger in a food village, so I didn't have the expectation for a perfectly cooked burger.  The quality ingredients and good taste was good for me.

The he place is clean and has the ambiance of an old style diner.  You place your order at the counter and then they ring you when it's available and you pick it up.  That's how these diners worked in the past.  Occasionally they bring the food out if it's really busy, which is a nice touch.  No other restaurant in the food village brings the food to you, so this place should not get negative reviews for following the same.

Other neat things, they have a loyalty card. Every 10 burgers you get a free order of fries.  They also give out really nice napkins, which may sound odd if you're new to Singapore. most food village restaurants don't provide napkins at all.

the fries are pretty good, but priced a little high.  You get an excessive amount of fries though. I think the standard sea salt fries at $4 and can easily be shared between 2 people. They have some premium variations too, but I haven't tried those.

they also have a student deal, a breakfast combo, and a happy hour combo all in the $10-$14 range.  The price a standard burger is $10.  It's a little high compared to what I am used to in US, but I recognize I'm not there and will pay the money to get a taste from home.

More reviews of Charlie & Co.

Great burgers..

We had chargrilled fish burger and burger of the day. Grilled fish burger was very light and super tasty. Drinks were equally good. But, not a fan of their fries. Quick service. Clean ambience.
All in all, would definitely visit again.

Great burgers..

All in all, would definitely visit again.

family of 5

Good value but it still cost $80 - Chips at $5 were a rip off but kids burger at $6 was good value as too often places will only sell adult burgers. The adult Southern burger ($11) was OK but the wife's Sausage roll was awesome. Lastly, I asked for some mayo for the French fries and despite there being half a dozen mayo options with the burgers all I got was "sorry, we don't have mayo, only ketchup" which seemed a but lazy and even MacDonalds, the paragon of streamlined standard service will find mayo for you...
Overall

a simple quality alternative when you want a burger

Needed a non Mc fix so happened upon this place. Not clear when I came in if it was table service or counter offer which should be improved and that was one star off.  From there on though was really good. Staff friendly even when no red wine available I was offered to try a new beer that would complement the burger better than my first choice. It did.  Delivery was within 7 minutes which was good. Staff smiling through out my visit I was asked directly how my burger was. Maccas doesn't do that. Fries were perfect. Burger was as per is description- simple good char cooked burger with salad blue cheese and condiments. Bun was not too sweet which was a pleasant surprise for Singapore. Other notables are an uncluttered service desk and premium napkins. Sounds silly but becomes important with burger eating. Service may be slowed by not having table service plus front counter at busy lunch times so I expect an impact there on the rating unless they adapt to that. There is nothing more frustrating watching a bottle neck before you.  Not experienced on this visit which I  expect will be weekly by me from now on.