Back to Checkers BrasserieHilton Hotel Singapore, 581 Orchard Road

Buffet11 votes

meowster
 • 31 Dec 2012 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
am here with friends for new year's eve dinner an have to say I'm sorely disappointed with the food here. for $148++ per pax, much as the buffet spread has quite a wide selection, the quality of the food served is way below par.

this is the first time I've had suckling pig that has a gamey taste to it, even though the skin is adequately crisp, but that is to be expected isn't it?

then comes the paprika soup. it's salty beyond anything I've ever tasted in a soup, and my company all agreed. to make matters worse, when i feedback this to the manager, he came back with the chef's explanation that it is ok, that this is how it is prepared in Spain. I proceeded to ask him what does he (the manager) feels after tasting it. he fumbled with an indirect reply saying that's how the soup is meant to be without answering my question. after I kept pushing for his personal opinion, he finally replied saying he thinks it's ok, but it clear that he's simply defending his chef.

much has to be said about all the other food but I think the above just about sums it up. only items that were acceptable were the seafood, oysters and sashimi. but seriously, these do not test the standards of cooking of any restaurant do they?

this is the Hilton afterall. but the food has sorely failed to live up to its reputation. this is the last time I'm ever dining here. even a kopitiam offers better food.

Hoongy !
 • 16 May 2012 1844 reviews 253 followers
Overall
Feeling for a buffet, I decided to check out Checkers Brasserie as I was around the area for an appointment. Walking in, it was certainly a good sign that I saw the owner of the hotel dining there - at least I know it has to be of certain standard if he is eating his own produce.

Down to the food, I started with the cold platter of mussels, clams and cured meats. An interesting item to try is the beet root salmon. While it may feel a little strange to eat salmon that is red in colour, the sweetness of the beetroot actually compliments the fish quite well.

If you love your soups go for the clear chicken soup which has a good level of essence. Comforting soup for the soul.

From the western section there is a live carving station for those who need their beef. There is also a lamb shank but each cut is big so do share it with a friend unless you are really like to eat lamb. There is also a cream seafood dish but I felt that the seafood lacked the seawater after taste and there was too much cream - thus presenting a rather tasteless dish.

Do not leave without trying the Indian section, which I thought was executed well. Start with the paneer, or cottage cheese, followed by the prawn tandoori, curry chicken and mutton. The meats are tender and there is richness and a good balance of spice in each of the dishes. Not as strong as some of the more traditional restaurants but it is done to fit the palette of the travelers living in the hotel.

For desserts, the spread is similar to what one would find in hotel buffets, but they do have a rich green tea ice cream in addition to the small cuts of sweets and cakes.

Overall, found the food to be above average, and service was also good - not only in the efficiency in the clearance of plates but also in their cheerfulness on their faces. They seem happy to work there. Also, if you have a kid, they have a distraction package to keep your young child happy while you eat your lunch.

Must tries: Beet Root Salmon

Buffet, Lunch, Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family

J Neo
 • 16 Jul 2011 15 reviews 0 follower
Overall
A group of us decided to try the seafood buffet dinner at Hilton. The variety is quite good for a $52++ seafood buffet - lobsters, alaskan crabs, bamboo clams, oysters and a range of fish (including cod fish). They cooked the fish, bamboo clams and the drunken prawns for you on the spot. Very nice.

The dessert corner is not very impressive though. Limited and no impressive fruits at all.

They serve cold water with a musty smell, so likely their tap water is not filtered.

If only, yes, if only, they will 'convert' the SriLakan crabs from boiled to 'chilli' or 'black pepper' crabs, then the whole buffet will be perfect for me.

Last but not least, why Checkers didn't have the 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 credit card promotions????!!! No wonder the restaurant is not filled.

[ note: the seafood buffet dinner is only on Fridays].

Buffet, Dinner, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, Business Dining, Corporate Events, Girls Night Out, After Work, Quiet