Review for Cherry Garden (樱桃园)

AsianCantoneseChineseDim Sum

20 May 2014

Much improved

It was meant to be a catch up dinner and although my last experience at Cherry Garden was forgettable (due to the less than ideal quality and quantity of food), I decided to give the restaurant yet another chance.

I was still very much taken by the classic oriental decor with the dark wooden beams, red lanterns and pavilion like dining corners. Definitely a great place for a quiet and romantic date (that's if your date is into oriental fixtures).

Peking Duck - The 4 of us started off with a side order of half a peking duck; Carved table side with both skin and flesh intact and wrapped in a relatively thin and toasted crepe.Although not exactly the "traditional" way to enjoy peking duck (which usually places emphasis on the skin), I enjoyed it quite a bit thought the skin could have been a little more crisp. Great start!

Cherry Garden's Hot & Cold Sampler - We swopped the braised beef in the hot sampler in favour of roasted pork due to religious constraints on the part of my dining partners. Though crackling crisp to a fault, the roasted pork was a tad too salty and porky for my liking. The other hot sampler was a scallop with salted egg yolk which I personally found to be average due to the sweetness of the scallop being overwhelmed by the egg yolk. I like salted egg yolk but I do think its a waste of such a huge scallop.
Drunken Chicken in hua diao and rose dew chinese wine made up the cold sampler and as much as I don't fancy chilled chicken soaked in wine, this was pretty decent. Lightly chilled for a more crunchy texture, the chicken spotted a light alcohol aftertaste which went down pretty smoothly.

Superior Broth with Shrimps, Scallops, Crabmeat, Conpoy, Maitake Mushrooms & Vegetables - Flavourful yet light with a variety of fresh ingredients, the soup was good to the last drop!

Braised Twelve Head Whole Abalone & Sea Cucumber with Premium Oyster Sauce - The twelve head abalone was good for 2 mouthfuls; Chewy and not overcooked. Served up with a piece of sea cucumber on a bed of vegetables. Nicely flavoured from the oyster sauce.

Wasabi-aioli Prawn with Salad of Duck Julienne & Jellyfish - Sporting a thin coat of flour smeared in wasabi, the prawns were deliciously crunchy without the wasabi taste coming on too strongly. The accompanying salad of duck and jellyfish was pretty nice as well; Firm slivers of duck coupled with the crunchiness of jellyfish.

Oven Baked Honey Marinated Cod Fillet with Black Pepper - First looks, the cod looked uncannily like a piece of salmon due to the reddish exterior. But it was cod alright, boasting a velvety and naturally sweet flesh accentuated only by the honey marinate and the mildly peppery and aromatic black pepper sauce.

Due to the word limit, please see my entire review and pictures here.

More reviews of Cherry Garden

Excellent Food & Service

I held my soleminization dinner at cherry garden with a small bookings of 3 tables, they had a small room that is able to accomodate 3 tables. Cherry garden had veyr nice interior designs with nice chinese settings. The food taste great and everyone is complimenting and praising their food. The staff were all very friendly and they are very helpful . They pay attention to details and they are always smiling which give you the pleasant feel that they are always delighted to serve you. Their style is more of fine dining, that they focus on the good taste of food and also the beautiful outlook of the food.

Excellent brunch buffet

Had the brunch buffet with a group of 12 which meant that we could order many different dishes to try. The stand outs were the crisp-fried shredded squid, kurobuta char siew, cherry wood charcoal roasted duck, wasabi prawns. The wok fried string beans and carrot cake were surprisingly good too for such an ordinary dish.
Overall

Bad food, slow service........ ........

Was there over the weekend. We have almost 10 person. Credit to the restaurant for taking care of the details at the beginning.. they placed the children cutlery nicely in alternate fashion. We were impressed with how they were so considerate. After this everything went downhill.
 It seems like price of salt has gone down.. many items right from the appetiser (fried calamari) was salty salty salty... other dishes that were way too salty including the ramen, peking duck sauce, scallop as well as the full-of-gravy codfish-toufu combo. As per Tin Pei Ling famous quote ' i dunno what to say'.
 Next there was also miscomm regarding a birthday cake which we enquired but never confirmed we wanted it... then later they shocked us at the end by bringing on a cake which they later waive as it was not a confirmed order we placed in the first place.
 Lastly serving was way too slow, we entered at 630 as the 1st customer and left at almost 9pm...
 I mean if you are bringing clients who knows nothing about Chinese food then it would be 'awesome', 'best dish i ever had' and similar comments but as far as locals are concern this restaurant is to be avoided.

Nice dim sums

Weekend dim sum brunch here is as good as it get i.e. on par with any of the other famous dim sums you can think of. Ambiance here is excellent to give you a comfy feel. Do try out their crispy wasabi-aioli prawns with fresh mango and roe.
Overall

Good duck ba zhang and wasabi prawns

The marinated duck stuffed with glutinous rice is like char siew with glutinous rice dumpling, tastes great and not as filling as a normal rice dumpling. The wasabi prawns were also tasty yet not too extrusive on the wasabi.