Summary

Wasabi Prawns, dim sum, Char Siew Bao, Honey Glazed Kurobuta Pork Char Siew, Avocado dessert, Crisp-fried Marinated Duck stuffed with glutinous rice, Kurobuta Char Siew Bao, Mango Sago, Cream of Mango, cod fish, Har Gau, Xiao Long Bao, beef cubes, eggplant with chicken floss, roast duck, Baby abalone & mushroom wrapped in paper, Beef with pepper dressing, Braised Duck, Braised Homemade Tofu with Sea Cucumber, Cherries in Nu er hong dessert, Crisp-fried scallops, Crispy Fried Tofu in Cubes, Deep Fried Eggplant with Pork Floss, Home-made tofu with vegetables, Kurobuta Pork with Garlic, Leek, Mini Abalone Dumpling, Mushroom, Prawn Fried Dumpling, Steamed radish cake in XO sauce, Traditional Royal Steamed Red Bean Sponge Cake, Wok-fried Waxed Meat Radish Cake with Silver Sprouts in XO Sauce Steamed Juicy Pork Xiao Long Bao, carrot cake, crisp, crispy chicken, golden dusted steamed bamboo pith, poached garlic pork and mushroom dumplings in spicy Thai sauce, weet sour kurobata pork View all
Quiet, Lunch, Business Dining, Children/Family, Dinner, Brunch, Buffet, Fine Dining, Large Groups/Gathering, After Work, Private Dining, Romance/First Dates, Birthdays, Anniversary, Ala Carte, Business Breakfast, Chillout, View/Scenery, Weddings View all

Much improved

It was meant to be a catch up dinner and although my last experience at Cherry Garden was forgettable (due to the less than ideal quality and quantity of food), I decided to give the restaurant yet another chance.

I was still very much taken by the classic oriental decor with the dark wooden beams, red lanterns and pavilion like dining corners. Definitely a great place for a quiet and romantic date (that's if your date is into oriental fixtures).

Peking Duck - The 4 of us started off with a side order of half a peking duck; Carved table side with both skin and flesh intact and wrapped in a relatively thin and toasted crepe.Although not exactly the "traditional" way to enjoy peking duck (which usually places emphasis on the skin), I enjoyed it quite a bit thought the skin could have been a little more crisp. Great start!

Cherry Garden's Hot & Cold Sampler - We swopped the braised beef in the hot sampler in favour of roasted pork due to religious constraints on the part of my dining partners. Though crackling crisp to a fault, the roasted pork was a tad too salty and porky for my liking. The other hot sampler was a scallop with salted egg yolk which I personally found to be average due to the sweetness of the scallop being overwhelmed by the egg yolk. I like salted egg yolk but I do think its a waste of such a huge scallop.
Drunken Chicken in hua diao and rose dew chinese wine made up the cold sampler and as much as I don't fancy chilled chicken soaked in wine, this was pretty decent. Lightly chilled for a more crunchy texture, the chicken spotted a light alcohol aftertaste which went down pretty smoothly.

Superior Broth with Shrimps, Scallops, Crabmeat, Conpoy, Maitake Mushrooms & Vegetables - Flavourful yet light with a variety of fresh ingredients, the soup was good to the last drop!

Braised Twelve Head Whole Abalone & Sea Cucumber with Premium Oyster Sauce - The twelve head abalone was good for 2 mouthfuls; Chewy and not overcooked. Served up with a piece of sea cucumber on a bed of vegetables. Nicely flavoured from the oyster sauce.

Wasabi-aioli Prawn with Salad of Duck Julienne & Jellyfish - Sporting a thin coat of flour smeared in wasabi, the prawns were deliciously crunchy without the wasabi taste coming on too strongly. The accompanying salad of duck and jellyfish was pretty nice as well; Firm slivers of duck coupled with the crunchiness of jellyfish.

Oven Baked Honey Marinated Cod Fillet with Black Pepper - First looks, the cod looked uncannily like a piece of salmon due to the reddish exterior. But it was cod alright, boasting a velvety and naturally sweet flesh accentuated only by the honey marinate and the mildly peppery and aromatic black pepper sauce.

Due to the word limit, please see my entire review and pictures here.

Most helpful reviews for Cherry Garden

very good restaurant

My family went to Cherry Garden for welcoming my uncle from overseas. This restaurant offerred us a very good service, even the choices of food is quite limited. The waitress Bei(something like this name) was very helpful and friendly. She also presented rose for every lady guest in our table when we about to leave. My uncle really enjoyed his dinner here, and he speaked highly of this Chinese restaurant. The steam cod fish was excellent. And the wasabi shrimp is the must try dish. No chance to try the dim sum, since the dim sum only serve during lunch time. But the waitress introduced their dim sum brunch for us, maybe next time can come back for brunch.

Expensive Average Dinner Poor Service on 26Oct2013

See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2013/10/29/expensive-average-dinner-cherry-gardens-on-26oct2013/

we picked cherry garden for family birthday dinner, & chose the S$88pax menu with 15% card discount.

the first course roast combination of roast duck, roast pork & char siew was very average.

the second course sweet & sour seafood soup was an excellent dish, just slightly sour, enough of trademark peppery taste, and a very tasty soup & pleasant to the eye as well, much better than most places, and something i would enjoy though its not my favourite soup like most lie tong were.

the third course of braised abalone with deep-fried beancurd was par excellence. the abalone was tasty & had great bite, and the braising sauce was super.

the next 2 courses though were very average for this quality of restaurant. the deep-fried prawn was done wasabi prawn style but with sweet & sauce and they did not come any better than a good zi char stall. & the fish fritter with tofu hardly fit the fine palate. kok sen zi char would do better for these 2 dishes.

the black sesame crabmeat fried rice was an interesting dish & quite nice & tasty.

the dessert, the usual 杨支甘露 served with lime sorbet, was good.

overall rather surprisingly, my recent excellent dinner at tunglok signature @ central was so much better than this – taste-wise the sea cucumber was superb & as good if not better than the abalone here, and all the other dishes were better!

overall the food, ambience etc was quite pleasant & enjoyable, the service though was very average for this class of restaurants, made worse by the attitude of the restaurant manager. we asked for carpark redemption and was first told only valet parking could be redeemed. we don’t usually valet park however it was jam packed that evening & we did valet park (S$15). the server came back with our valet parking chip which was signed over & i asked “so is parking free?” first she said “you pay S$15″ but when i asked her to ask the manager she came back after some time & said it was free. as she obviously had difficulty speaking & understanding english as we were leaving the restaurant i asked a second time the reception lady (maybe filipino). she understood but she had no idea so i asked her to call the restaurant manager. it was a small place & i could see the manager taking an inordinately long time to come over after adjusting table cloth etc for an empty table (quite unnecessarily). and when he came, he flashed an artificial smile and made an incredibly senseless comment “ö…did you dine at the restaurant?” when he was the one who helped usher us in when we arrived. he was no help at all, the staff were good in attitude poor in training & the manager needed to take lessons from his staff on service attitude & how to nicely reassure customers & make warm friendly buddy gesture. hope it was one off..anyway it mattered not as customer would just vote with their feet

Unsatisfying dinner

The choice of our team dinner was Cherry Garden, the flagship Chinese restaurant of Oriental Hotel. Having dined there twice before, I was more enamored by its intricately oriental design than the food (most unfortunately!). However, having said that, I was hopeful that Cherry Garden could/would spring a few surprises. After all, it did make it to the list of Singapore's Best Restaurants a couple of years back. A short disclaimer applies here as I didn't do the ordering nor did I have a chance to take a look at the set menu which we ordered, hence I am quite hazy about the exact names of the dishes.

Amuse Bouche - Honestly, the idea of serving an amuse bouche in a Chinese restaurant in Singapore is still relatively new and very few Chinese restaurants actually practice that. Anyways, the appetiser for the day was breaded cod fish with garlic, which boasted light and crisp (not to mention piping hot) batter that had the smooth texture of cod. Couldn't quite make out any distinctive cod fish taste though.

Shark's Fin Soup - The shark's fin soup had little slivers of fins swimming around in a nice, not too thick/rich broth. Doesn't say much about the quantity or quality does it?

Drunken Chicken & Wasabi Prawn - This dish had 2 parts - drunken chicken and wasabi prawn, both of equally minute portions. Personally I am not a proponent of alcohol laden chicken but Cherry Garden's rendition was quite good. Tender without an overwhelming presence of the Chinese rice wine. The wasabi prawn was fresh and coated with a nice crisp layer of batter sans an overwhelming wasabi taste. Very nice!

Chicken - A well executed dish with the chicken tender and juicy with a moderate splash of spiciness. It would have been better if each of us could have gotten something more substantial in size though.

Fish with Tofu - This dish was a little too salty for my liking and I could barely make out the taste of the fish, not with the amount of gravy that it was stir fried in. I appreciated the smoothness and silkiness of the tofu though and that was the sole redeeming factor, for me at least.

Seafood Fried Vermicelli - Plenty of seafood coupled with springy but a tad overly oily fried vermicelli made for a nice carbohydrate dish. However portions were ridiculously small and barely filled up one small rice bowl.

Lime Sorbet with Fresh Fruits - A feast for the eyes with its radiant colours but I can't say the same for the stomach. This was nothing beyond normal. I mean, how bad can a combination of fresh fruits and lime sorbet possibly get?

The total bill for the evening for 10 pax went close to $940, which included a couple of beers and soft drinks. Food quality was generally a little above average but portions were less than generous, especially for a $78/pax set dinner. For the record, I had to turn to a trusty old friend with pointy red shoes to fill my stomach after that.

Fantastic Family Dinner

Recently, we had a family meal at this restaurant. The starters were superb, main dishes were just so delicious. The meats served were so succulent, crispy and marinated nicely. Everything was just fresh, juicy and even the food displays were on point. Besides that, the staffs who were serving us were all so pretty, courteous and friendly. They made our day as we had some small talks with them now and then. The restaurant's ambience was really good, the 'chinese mood' was there.

Overall, I highly encourage you to tour this place if you haven't done so!

Excellent Food & Service

I held my soleminization dinner at cherry garden with a small bookings of 3 tables, they had a small room that is able to accomodate 3 tables. Cherry garden had veyr nice interior designs with nice chinese settings. The food taste great and everyone is complimenting and praising their food. The staff were all very friendly and they are very helpful . They pay attention to details and they are always smiling which give you the pleasant feel that they are always delighted to serve you. Their style is more of fine dining, that they focus on the good taste of food and also the beautiful outlook of the food.