Back to Chikusen Japanese Restaurant309/311 Tanjong Katong Road

Ala Carte3 votes

Boris T Lcee
 • 19 Jun 2014 30 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Have tried most of the reasonable good jap restaurant in town, hence decide to go east today with friend.
Read reviews of others and set to try this place
Good food and service. Took the spring set menu (a bold choice) and overall experience was excellent.
They replaced some of the dish which ran out as well as stuff which I could not take due to health. Well a free hot sake to go with.
Importantly the sashimi was marvelous though the wagyu beef hotpot was so-so.
With that I may come back for the omakase.

Must tries: sashimi

After Work

howinston
 • 02 May 2014 115 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Its Spring season, and Chikusen has lined up a special Spring menu that features the best produce the season has to
offer. I was there recently and here are the highlights of my meal:
Rape Blossom (Nanohana) with Soya Sauce Dashi: Fresh shoots topped with soya sauce. Light appetiser to start the meal.
Grilled Fresh Bamboo shoot: Air-flown from Japan, this was lightly grilled. Crunchy and yummy.

Sashimi – Bonito, Halfbeak (Soyori) and Bream (Tai): You get two pieces of sashimi for each type of fish and the Soyori was my personal favorite.

Braised Rockfish (Mebaru)with Foie Gras, mushroom & fresh bamboo shoot: A whole rockfish braised to perfection. The bamboo shoot that was grilled earlier is also in this dish, but braised this time round. It was good to be able to taste the seasonal bamboo shoot done two ways.

Sukiyaki Wagyu Beef with mushrooms, tofu and vegetables: Served in a mini hot pot, you can cook the beef to your desired done-ness and then dip it quickly into the egg (by the side) to cool it down and straight to your mouth. The sauce cooking the beef is sweet and imparts a great taste. Great!

Noodle - Yaki Somen with spring onions: This dish was surprise. It looked plain, with green onions as a topping. However, when you start tucking in, it was flavourful, as the chef has sauteed the somen with dashi flavored with bonito flakes. Yummy!

Dessert - Plum (Ume) Jelly: The tangy taste of the lemon sauce over the ume jelly complemented each other and gave a deeper dimension to the dessert.
While we were there, we couldn't resist ordering the Signature Chikusen Roll topped with Mentaiko and ebi roe. One word to describe this: Divine!

To go with our meal, we also had cold sake. They have a range of sake that will you can choose from to suit your taste buds.

The Chikusen Spring menu is for a limited period only and offers good value for the amount you pay.

Visit it before its over!
Birthdays, Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch

cherryjacelyn
 • 25 Mar 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Went with some colleagues for lunch recently and was pleasantly surprised by the affordable pricing and good value of their set lunches.
Food came fast but might have been because the restaurant was quiet when we were there, only our table of four and another one table of 2.

I had the Tonkatsu Ramen set which costs $12. The soup base is rich and portion is quite generous with several slices of charshu and one egg.
I also tried the salmon and ikura don which is salmon sashimi and roe on rice. It had crunchy bits of topping (not sure what it is) and salmon was fresh. Costs $16 for the set which came served with appetizer and dessert. Not bad and value for money. Will go back again.

Must tries: sashimi, Fried maki