Reviews for Chikuwa Tei

3.8

AsianJapanese

Recommended for its chirashi

Had a craving for chirashi the other day and after searching around, we finally decided on Chikuwa Tei where we had the Special Chirashi set.   The meal started with a chawanmushi, which was chock full of ingredients and was pretty delicious.   The chirashi don certainty did not disappoint. Price-wise, I would have to say that it was worth the premium price as compared to a normal chirashi set (S$68 as compared to a normal chirashi don at S$25). Each slice was thick and fresh. I personally felt that the salmon and ikura hit the right spot. Special mention also goes out to the otoro (tuna belly), which made the meal really memorable.   Service wise, the waitresses were very friendly and our orders were served quickly. They were also prompted in refilling our tea. Thumbs-up!
• 30 Mar 2015 • 29 reviews • 0 follower

Poor food quality

Overall
I heard so much about this place and thought perhaps I should give it a try. Went on Friday evening (about 6pm) for dinner and was surprised that the restaurant was rather empty. I figured that it was strange but still went ahead to try their chirashi don and three-kind sashimi.

Food - Well, it's unspoken, when serving sashimi, freshness should be very important. I was very disappointed and almost disgusted when I ate the mekajiki - see pic attached. It was translucent and of poor quality. Looked more like preserved ham, as what my friend commented. I cannot imagine that this managed to be served on the table, what's worse is, three-kind sashimi cost $38 before tax and service charge. When I complained to the staff, there were very blur and gave me blank stares - as if this was the first time they handled complains regarding quality. They brought the sashimi back to the chef and they changed another 3 pieces of slightly better quality mekajiki, but still they are of poor quality but better than the original ones. In the beginning, why would they not serve me the slightly better quality ones given that I ordered sliced sashimi. The price that they were charging was considered on the high side compared to other mid-tier Japanese restaurants. But sadly the service and quality is not up to expectations. It is no way that I will go back again. I can get better quality food at better prices somewhere else.
  • Is this mekajiki?
• 01 Mar 2015 • 4 reviews • 0 follower

Recommended for its chirashi

• 04 Feb 2015 • 10 reviews • 0 follower

Quality Japanese food at affordable price

Overall
Impressed with the Chirashi set which was at a reasonable price of $25++ which comes with very thick slices of sashimi, which were very fresh - normally i dont like tuna and mackeral but the sashmi was so fresh, i didnt taste any fishiness.

Was also impressed with the tempura soba set $14++ - the soba was very Q as it was served on ice cubes.

Was quite shocked by the price tag of the yuzu tea thou - it was $5++ which was quite a hefty price tag, probably cos they added pieces of yuzu in the drink (but still i think it doesnt justify the price).

overall i would visit this place again and again. very good quality and the price was very affordable.