Summary

Ambience3
chirashi, sashimi, Chawanmushi, Chirashi Don, Cod Fish hot pot, unagi set, yuzu ice cream, Sashimi with rice set, mentaiko with cod, Chirashi Sushi, Kajiki Sashimi, Salmon and swordfish sashimi, Sushi Matsu, Unagi Kabayaki, Yuzu drink, ebi tempura, oysters, wagyu beef View all
Dinner, After Work, Lunch, Children/Family, Quiet, Large Groups/Gathering, Girls Night Out, Boys Night Out, Hidden Find, Business Dining, Cheap Eat/Budget, Chillout, Ala Carte, Vibrant/Noisy, Birthdays, Healthy Eating, Night Out View all

Value for money Chirashi Don!

Fell in love with the unpretentious, generous serving of fresh, succulent, CHUNKY sashimi!! Very value for money!!
My friend had the Wagyu beef set. Needless to say, the slices were broiled to perfection and the juicy meat simply melts in your mouth.
Would come back again for more!! :)

Most helpful reviews for Chikuwa Tei

Go for the sashimi, and the service

I had heard so much about their value chirashi set ($25) but was deterred by talks of rude and impersonal service. The service was better than the chirashi. Attentive and friendly, the entire menu was explained to us and recommendations were made. They were quick to clear away our plates and we did feel very spoiled by attention. The chirashi is good, not outstanding. Really good value with its thick cut sashimi and fish to rice ratio. The chawanmushi was excellent and my partner enjoyed his tempura maki and chicken set. The menu has a lot of variety and there is something for everyone. If you don't know what to order, look for Doris - she will sort you out.

Lousy and food was burnt , smells fishy

I left comments on Chikuwa Tei's Facebook page. But apparently the restaurant wasn't MAN ENOUGH to accept criticisms. They deleted my comments, the pictures I have posted on their FB page. So what you see are all very good comments and praises about the restaurant.

We went there on Saturday evening at 06:15 p.m. The restaurant is small, and not fully packed. This wasn't our first visit as we used to reside nearby. I think if the staff recognised us, they would know we are regulars but I don't think we are going back ever for the rest of our life.

We ordered:
1. Geso Karaage (see picture)
This... really is my first time looking at a burnt geso karaage. It taste like it was fried in poor quality oil, it was dry and hard, and it left a very unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth. It wasn't fresh either.

2. Dobin Mushi
Dobin Mushi. Seafood broth is used for dobin mushi and like Chinese double-boiled soup, it is steamed for a very very long time. This was tasteless... (other than the lemon we squeeze into the little teapot). A good dobin mushi should taste a little sweet from the seafood (and preferably with matsutake) and a little sour from the lime. This has none.

3. Mentaiko
Mentaiko. This is also my first time... seeing MENTAIKO like this (all mentaiko I had is cut, but still displayed to look like the original roe - before it is cut - not cubes). It taste like it was just taken out of the freezer (yes, ice crystals in the mentaiko).

4. Chirashi Don
Chirashi Don. It looks better than it taste. The only thing that I am happy with in this bowl - ikura. The rest of the sashimi in this chirashi was stale except the salmon. If you have deep pockets, go to Matsuo Sushi... try their sashimi and go to Chikuwa Tei - HUGE DIFFERENCE. The sashimi wasn't cut very well and it was difficult to bite.
 AND TO ADD ON, the fish wasn't fresh.
 Maguro - it was a dark maroon, and it was stale. It didn't taste like it's a maguro... though it looks like one... tasteless.
 The light pink one on bottom left - this was the most difficult to bite... and it 'leaks' fishy juice when I sink my teeth into the sashimi
 Bottom right - this is the most disgusting sashimi I ever had in my entire life. It wasn't fresh, and was the most foul smelling sashimi I ever had.
 PS: Ironically, this chirashi don is supposed to be their SIGNATURE DISH. Signature, indeed.

good value

It seems like these days it is difficult to find places that serve fine food that would accept kids - and so after many phone calls to restaurants we ended up settling at Chikuwa Tei.

A simple setting, we started with the Tori Karrage ($8), fried chicken - parts of it over done, followed by the Chawanmushi ($5), which is quite silky smooth with good egg content.

I then tried the Ankimo ($14). The monkfish liver was tasty, and the portion was really generous too.

I ordered the mentaiko but the wait staff mistook the order and served the Gindara Mentaiko ($22) instead. Chilean seabass was the fish and it was much firmer than the usual fatty cod.

The steal of the day though had to be the Chirashi Sushi ($25). At this price point, there were generous portions of tuna, salmon, swordfish and yellowtail that could make a meal by itself.

Overall, portions were generous. Service was average. Think of Chikuwa Tei as a no frills Japanese dining destination.

YAY!! It's still around!!! WOOHOO :)

Yep. Thats right :) Old WASABI TEI is back in business...Me and Wifey really missed this place a lot when the infamous "Nazi" chef decided to close its business. Yep pple may dread the horrible service, the long queue wait, the crampy uncomfortable high seats, the "no 2nd order if not 20% extra surcharge" + "no talk too loud or put too many items on table" rules...but mind you all these are GONE GONE GONE.....LEAVING THE BEST OF ALL...FOOD QUALITY STILL TOP NOTCH!! YEAH :P (Surprise too, overbearing Nazi turned out to be a friendly joker too)

But seriously, me & wifey were quite sad when we got news that the old Wasabi Tei changed hands abt late last year. We did curiously drop by the new Wasabi Tei once, but after seeing no queue + so many unfavourable reviews on HGW...sigh...heartbreak.

Fate works wonder when early this week Wifey bumps onto the previous Nazi chef auntie on bus, and like the sun that shined brightly after the rain that flooded Orchard Road, we got news of this new establishment Chikuwa Tei.

Mai Tu Liao, quickly Onz appt with wifey and we went down with joyous expectations of fresh, succulent, THICK & JUICY sashimi. Our expectations were WELL EXCEEDED to our relief...those who are aware of the legendary Moriawase (sorry if i spell wrongly) + Chirashi Set....WOOHOO YEAH BABY!!!

We went down yesterday evening for dinner. Peter the Friendly Chef (shd stop calling him Nazi) chatted w us and informed that due to the Orchard Road flooding, business was a bit quiet. But on usual days, things are much better. He agreed that this new location at MS (along the stretch last time got samsara one, oops reveal age liao) has lesser pple flow, and most of his customers still old regulars from Far East (like us). Peter also shared that pressure is higher, cos Far East outlet close one eye can cover rental & overheads...here quite chor, hence he asks us for our understanding for the increase in food prices of those items. Yep, items are more expensive now as compared to old Wasabi Tei (somemore w GST & service charge), but if you seriously match w other Jap restaurants in SG, for the food QUALITY you are getting, the pricing is still relatively reasonable.

The entire atmosphere of the place is cosy, comfortable, peaceful. Can really see a lot has been put in for the renovations as well as the cutlery items etc. In a way, I am quite glad for Peter cos if I was him, I may be also super pek chek with working everyday in a small crampy Far East outlet (hence the no service then) and envisaging a nicer place like now Chikuwa Tei.

I am guessing the previous auntie was on Off Shift yesterday. The place is still served by several other waitresses (abt 4 more, dunt worry no black face one, friendly and prompt) w an additional chef in the back kitchen. Peter still handles the sashimi counter located in the middle of the restaurant.

Me & Wifey ordered 1 x Chirashi Set (Sushi variety & quality no horse run), 1 x Sashimi Moriawase for 2 (Sushi variety & quality & Thickness also no horse run, w nicer decorative plate), 1 x Unagi sushi (the only place where the entire unagi cover OVER the sushi rice), 1 x California handroll (to know a Jap place standard, just eat the simple basic california handrolll, really refreshing and fillings all the way to the end of seeweed cone).

We will DEFINITELY be visiting this place regularly but perhaps not as frequently as compared to last time Wasabi Tei (hahaha have to watch pocket leh). But surely everytime visit sure will WHACK Shiok Shiok one hahahaha. Me no affliation with Peter whatsoever, just doing my part as a HGW commenter to recommend good food as well a Pay-It-Forward gesture for Chikuwa Tei's EXCELLENT QUALITY FOOD & SERVICE.

I just hope i dunt have to one day start queuing outside Chikuwa for 40mins before getting a seat :P

Profit driven and not service oriented

Food/Drink 2 | Value 2 | Ambience 2 | Service N/A

Had a disappointing experience dining at Chikuwa Tei. Was there for dinner on 9th April 2016 with my family. Ordered 2 bottles of Asahi beer and when they came, one bottle tasted distinctly flat from the other bottle and had a funny sourish aftertaste. I requested for a replacement glass and a middle aged, relatively friendly waitress told me she just poured the beer from a brand new bottle and it couldn't have been spoiled. I told her that the beer definitely tasted off and got ask for a replacement. The beer was replaced and it was all good. However when I got the bill they charged me for the replacement beer. I questioned her about the bill and she said she pour the beer fresh from the bottle and it couldn't have been spoiled. I have no idea what kind of reason that is. The beer could have been oddly stored in the wrong condition or bottle cap was loose to start off with. Bottom line being I paid for a bad beer that I didn't consume. It wasnt expensive but it's infuriating that you make a customer paid for something undrinkable.

Food wise it's ok. But I will never return to this restaurant ever again. And I won't recommend anyone to this restaurant too because even if they had excellent food, the last thing anyone need is a bad experience.