Reviews for Chikuwa Tei

3.8

AsianJapanese

Recommended for its chirashi

Had a craving for chirashi the other day and after searching around, we finally decided on Chikuwa Tei where we had the Special Chirashi set.   The meal started with a chawanmushi, which was chock full of ingredients and was pretty delicious.   The chirashi don certainty did not disappoint. Price-wise, I would have to say that it was worth the premium price as compared to a normal chirashi set (S$68 as compared to a normal chirashi don at S$25). Each slice was thick and fresh. I personally felt that the salmon and ikura hit the right spot. Special mention also goes out to the otoro (tuna belly), which made the meal really memorable.   Service wise, the waitresses were very friendly and our orders were served quickly. They were also prompted in refilling our tea. Thumbs-up!
• 15 May 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

bad service

Overall
We decided to give chikuwatei a try, with all the hype that we heard about it. Made a reservation.... but it was of no use at all... with the crowd it drew, there was no way they could track reservations or give seats to those who made reservations without drawing wrath from those already in the queue. That's alright. Since it was a popular restaurant, we joined the queue with others who have also made reservations.

As we waited, two ladies who also made reservations arrived... and happily squeezed to the front of the queue so that they can alert the counter lady about their reservation.  They didn't get any attention... but they still stood firmly at the front... when a seat opened up, the service staff naturally brought the two ladies in... which many in the queue protested because we ALL had reservations! Bottom line is that if u CANNOT manage reservations... don't take reservations.

We took our seat and ordered a hot pot. When it came.... the hotpot was COLD... IRONIC RIGHT... we sent it back... THEN we had to ask the service staff 3 times... before we could get our green tea refilled. HAI...

All in all food was not bad... price reasonable... but the experience left a bad taste. To the extent that I have to set up a hungry go where account to voice my grievances... service staff tried to make it up by being extra smiley and friendly when u are paying... but damage is already done la...

• 30 Mar 2015 • 29 reviews • 0 follower

Poor food quality

Overall
I heard so much about this place and thought perhaps I should give it a try. Went on Friday evening (about 6pm) for dinner and was surprised that the restaurant was rather empty. I figured that it was strange but still went ahead to try their chirashi don and three-kind sashimi.

Food - Well, it's unspoken, when serving sashimi, freshness should be very important. I was very disappointed and almost disgusted when I ate the mekajiki - see pic attached. It was translucent and of poor quality. Looked more like preserved ham, as what my friend commented. I cannot imagine that this managed to be served on the table, what's worse is, three-kind sashimi cost $38 before tax and service charge. When I complained to the staff, there were very blur and gave me blank stares - as if this was the first time they handled complains regarding quality. They brought the sashimi back to the chef and they changed another 3 pieces of slightly better quality mekajiki, but still they are of poor quality but better than the original ones. In the beginning, why would they not serve me the slightly better quality ones given that I ordered sliced sashimi. The price that they were charging was considered on the high side compared to other mid-tier Japanese restaurants. But sadly the service and quality is not up to expectations. It is no way that I will go back again. I can get better quality food at better prices somewhere else.
  • Is this mekajiki?