Reviews for Choo Choo Chicken

Address: 33 Bali Lane
candy girl

Soy Fried Chicken yes!

For the full post and pictures visit toseetofeeltoeat

I took the Garlic Set (Garlic Fried Chicken) while Eunice took the Soy Set (Soy Fried Chicken). Both of us added $2 for a mini rice burger and chose the tuna and kimchi rice burger.   The Soy Fried Chicken was tasty and savory, very crispy on the outside and juicy within. Unfortunately, the Garlic Fried Chicken was drenched in garlic sauce which caused the fried chicken to lose its original crispiness. It would have been much better if the garlic sauce was marinated into the chicken before frying instead of dousing it on the fried chicken.    The Kimchi and Tuna Rice Burger was really yummy. Sweet tuna with spicy sour kimchi mixed with rice.

03 Dec 2014 • 162 reviews • 3 followers

Soy Fried Chicken yes!

For the full post and pictures visit toseetofeeltoeat

24 Nov 2014 • 147 reviews • 6 followers

One of the better Korean fried chicken

We came late on a weekday night at 9pm. Besides another big group who was already halfway through with their dinner, Choo Choo Chicken was almost empty.

Located just 5 to 8 minutes from Bugis MRT station (and right beside Stateland Cafe), the restaurant decor was simple with the staggered black and white floor tiles being the most prominent feature of its interior.

And from the menu (pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5), we ordered:-

1) Choo choo spam burger, $6.90 – Korean style rice mixed with kimchi & ham. I wouldn’t said it’s a burger. Rather it was rice mixed with seaweed that was shaped nicely to form the top and bottom layers such that every bite was ensured of rice, kimchi and accompanying sauce. Not too bad although more ham would be better. Only managed to get one small piece of ham, unless it was the guys who ate most of the ham.

2) Wing & drumlet, $16 (8 pieces) – 16 pieces was also available at $29.90 where one could choose two flavours, unlike 8 pieces where we were only entitled to one flavour. Of the 5 available flavours (original, spicy, sweet, soy and garlic), we went with spicy for this. Oddly, my first piece of the spicy was not spicy. The spiciness only kicked in when I had my next piece (of sweet). But the spiciness was bearable even for non-spicy eaters like me.

3) Whole chicken, $30.90 – With a choice of any 2 flavours, we went with original (top most) and sweet (top). The 2 halves were served in separate bowls, and these were amazing! Our whole chicken was served before the wing & drumlet (item 2), and when we each took our first bites of the meat, we immediately went “So good”. I exaggerate not. The meat was tender and flavourful. But it was really the batter for the skin that they perfectly nailed it. 16 pieces worked out to be almost the same price and portion as the whole chicken, but we felt ordering the whole chicken was better as it allowed us to eat the breast meat. And it was amazing how the breast meat was not dry!

We really enjoyed our Korean fried chicken at Choo Choo Chicken. It may sound daunting having to order 8 pieces or a whole chicken as the minimum, but the portion for either was good for 2. If coming in pair, I would strongly recommend ordering the whole chicken. At least that allows one to try 2 flavours, which I will again strongly recommend getting the original and another marinated flavour. The original flavour allowed us to enjoy the chicken at its purest and best (ha) while the glazed flavours ones allowed us to enjoy a nice, messy experience which had us licking our fingers!

However, what I did not like was that water was not complimentary. When one is eating fried food, one will definitely need to drink up. Bottle of mineral water was charged at $2.

----------
PS : I am a blogger too! Lifestyle blogFood Blog
spicy set with spam burger
25 Sep 2014 • 2 reviews • 0 follower

Awesome wings

Just can't bring myself to join the crazy four fingers. FORTUNATELY, managed to chance upon this quaint little Cafe that serve similar wings. I was pleasant surprise by the use of fresh wings (my guess by looking at the bones). The wings are crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. The spicy sauce packs a punch and hence not for those who can't take spicy food. The spam rice burger was also a delight which is probably the combination of kimchi and the short grain rice. Crispy mushroom was a nothing to shout about though and I thought a thicker cut would have made it a much better choice. Will I come back again? Definitely.