Back to Cicheti52 Kandahar Street

Birthdays4 votes

Dan-Meng Chen
 • 24 Jul 2014 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Came here for lunch with a friend who lives in the neighborhood. I had been craving wood oven pizza and she said recommended Cicheti. We ordered 2 pizzas - Bismark and Carbonara. The former is a favorite of other reviewers and the latter was recommended by the waitress. The Carbonara totally blew us away. We absolutely loved the caramelized onions that formed part of the topping and we soacked up all the egg yolk with our leftover crust. Perfection! We were sad that the pizzas got cold after awhile.

We shared the salted chocolate cake for dessert. Fantastic choice!! I am a big fan of molten lava cakes in general and this one did not disappoint. The portion is quite big - perfect for 2 ladies to share. The melted chocolate oozed out once we dug in. There was just the right amount of salt added to boost the flavor, and the generous scoop of vanilla gelato accompanied with crumbles complemented it perfectly. Heaven in a mouthful!

Only gripe is that the kitchen is small so once the place hits capacity service can potentially get slow. Hopefully they have more help for peak hours.

Must tries: Salted chocolate cake, Carbonara Pizza, Bismark pizza

• Carbonara Pizza

DouglasTan
 • 20 Jul 2014 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Sometimes we find a place where everthing clicks to make the evening really special. This is what happened at Cicheti.
The menu didnt look very big but what we ordered was delicious. Fat prawns swimming in a rich sauce of olive oil herbs and garlic. Juicy meatballs and succulent calamari.
The pizza (bismark and carbonara) was done to perfection--or rather, imperfection - - with areas of rich toppings amidst slightly charred dough. Just like its done in Italy.
The four of us shared a TBone and salt baked sea bass and pear salad.  The meat was Juicy and done just right.  Great ambience. The only serve Peroni beer. Desserts were great too - - choc salt cake and creme brulee a must.
We highly recommend this wonderful place but reservations advised.

Sihan Lee
 • 30 Jun 2014 230 reviews 40 followers
Overall
For the complete review, visit http://fundamentally-flawed.blogspot.sg/2014/06/cicheti-and-then-there-were-italian.html

Cicheti is Kampong Glam's newest addition. A narrow shopfront reveals a massive monster of an oven right in the middle of the service floor; the pizza maker revelling (or not) in the rousing heat of its hell-like hearth, the balls of dough proofing ever so slightly from the heat of the atmosphere. Gleaming in through the glass doors meant to separate this inferno and the slightly cooler interiors, we watched as spectators, as the maestro does a pronounced counter spinning motion followed by a swift arrangement of assorted ingredients.

Our meal began with my mandatory order of Calamari Mollica Di Pane ($11). Crisp fried calamari in homemade breading served with garlic aioli dip. My feathers were left unruffled. The word 'homemade' making excuses for its crumbing which was under seasoned and slightly too stodgy. Aside from the fact that the calamari could have used a good 20 seconds out of the deep fryer; the self professed garlic aioli lacked any resounding trace of garlic (not that my companion was complaining since he's very much a hater.)

Next.

We were told the Duo Caprese was not available and pointed in the direction of a house special salad ($15) instead which turned out to be an exact replica of the former, sans the fried mozzarella and with a ton more rocket piled over the top. A decent medley of boccocini, cherry tomatoes, balsamic and rocket. There was just no 'umph' in there.

And as the oven-obsessed owner would trumpet, the heart and soul of Cicheti lies in its pizzas. I was eager to get that in my belly.

A couple more glasses of wine and a Peroni later, our beautiful bubble crusted pizza stood in full glory before us. The Bismark ($19), had ham, bacon, mushrooms lying on a bed of homemade tomato sauce, before being sprinkled with a liberal dosage of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. To further feed the illusion, an egg is cracked right in the middle, tossed in the oven for a couple more seconds before being plated. The result, an imperfect, blistered edged pizza with delicious dark patches of burn marks and a delicate spot of sunshine in the middle. Chef Lim might have misjudged the cooking time of the dough while juggling the finesse of the perfect runny egg that led to a severely under-cooked bottom. Raw dough... outrageous. Nonetheless, we polished our plates in respect of alcohol laden stomachs.

Cicheti falls short of expectations on so many levels. Yet the tight spaces within the establishment allows for a lot of food ogling situations especially with thy neighbours. Perhaps I'll be back for the pastas.