Cilantro has closed.

Review for (Closed) Cilantro (Marine Terrace)

Address: #01-71, 59 Marine Terrace, 440059
29 Jul 2008

A Disapointment

I had been waiting in anticipation for the opening of the Marine Terrace branch as I had read that the specialty would be Japanese food. Yums! Or so I thought. After checking that the launch date at was on 26 Jul, I thought that giving them 2 days to settle in would be sufficient and patronised the stall last night.

My husband and I were rather disappointed. First of all, there wasn't anything special on the menu, just the usual suspects of unagi don, chawan mushi, katsu don etc, no fusion cuisine here! My unagi don saw one slice of unagi tucked in rather hard rice and accompanied by 2 sliced pickles. I guess for $5.50 I shouldn't expect too much, but more garnishes like shredded cabbage or seaweed strips would have added to the taste and presentation. For the same price I have had 2 slices of unagi with garnishes and miso soup at a stall at the newly revamped Chinatown hawker centre. Frankly, there was nothing special about the unagi or the sauce and neither was there anything particularly memorable about my husband's katsu don as well.

Secondly, we found the service to be rather inconsistent. A nice chap greeted us and took our orders but the follow up was poor. Another guy

handed us our food without a word or a glance, which left us wondering if it was our order since there were other customers waiting around.

When we asked for plastic spoons, since we were doing a takeout, he snapped that he was looking for it and that he was only helping out and not really a server. This same guy had earlier been seen haphazardly hacking at some onions (I think) and using his handphone at the same time which didn't do much to improve my impression of the cooking standards.

As a typical Singaporean, I'm quite willing to put up with relatively bad service for good food. But when the food is just run of the mill, it'll take more than a snazzy facade to entice me back. I'll probably give it another go in a month or so just to see if things have improved but as of now, I'm not impressed.

More reviews of Cilantro

mushroom sauce = curry?

Sunday 30 Nov Dinner

This was my first visit to Cilantro so I asked the boss to recommend something good. She recommended the sausage with *mushroom sauce* ($8) so I went for it.

Waiting time was very short and the food was delivered in 6 mins. Here’s what they delivered:

Two warm sausages in Japanese curry sauce. I’m guessing one was spicy and one was normal based on the different color of the sausages. The center of the sausage was still cold and the meat tasted powdery. This was served with Chinese long grain rice with teriyaki sauce with shredded cabbage covered in Japanese mayonnaise on the side. There was also miso soup to accompany the main course.

I took one bite of each to give it a try and pushed the plate away. Thinking of giving them some feedback on their lousy food, I looked for the staff of Cilantro to ask them about their mushroom sauce but there was no one at the stall. Overall it was a terrible experience and now I understand why the other Cilantro’s had to close down. I hope this one closes down soon so that other people won’t get to waste their money on this rubbish.