Clifford is renamed!

Read and post reviews on Clifford at its new address

Clifford is renamed.

Summary

truffle fries, truffle induced items!, Breakfast spread, Caesar Salad, FIsh Soup, Foie Gras, Roasted Lamb Rack, bloody mary, cheese, multigrain bread View all
Fine Dining, Dinner, Quiet, Romance/First Dates, View/Scenery, Waterfront, Lunch, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Business Dining, After Work, Birthdays, Buffet, Large Groups/Gathering, Private Dining View all

Restaurant Week

Restaurant week was upon us once again and the venue of choice this time round was Clifford, which I had a pretty good experience at for brunch quite a while back.    Complimentary Bread - Baguettes and multigrain buns served with a side of smooth butter and deliciously sinful duck rillette (it was a tad dry though) started the meal rolling. My personal favourite? The baguette; crusty, light and served warm.    French Onion Soup - Sweet without coming across as overly heavy but a little lacking in cheese in my humble opinion. Still a decent French onion soup nonetheless.    Foie Gras Pan Seared with Cresses Salad Fresh Fig and Figs Jam on Brioche - I thought the foie gras was pretty good but could do with a little more searing to achieve a lightly crisp surface. The buttery goodness from the brioche complimented the sweetness of the foie gras but this is seriously a heart stopping combination. Portions are a little small as well for a $12++ top up charge.   Whole Lobster Angel Hair With Fresh Tomato, Sweet Basil and Lobster Butter Sauce - This required a top up of $25++ and even though the lobster chunks were aplenty and crunchy, the angel hair pasta was a little too soggy, probably the end result of sitting too long in the tomato sauce. One other issue I had was that the tomato sauce, whilst lightly tart and zesty, became a little boring after a while and the whole dish lacked variation in flavours. It was just tomato, tomato, tomato. I couldn't even make out the sweetness of the lobster.     Clifford Signature Duck Confit - I had this during my previous visit and remembered it to be very good. And it didn't disappoint. Crisp on the outside but moist and tender on the inside. No truffle mash this time round though.   Slice Of Chocolate - This was essentially a chocolate hazelnut tart served with passion fruit sorbet and chocolate crumble. The chocolate was rich with a nice hazelnut taste but didn't across as too heavy. I personally liked the crunchy wafer layer wedged in between. And the passionfruit sorbet wasn't as sour as I had expected it to be. Pretty nice dessert!   After the top ups, the bill for 2 came to about $173, which sorta straddled the line on the value for money criteria. Food at Clifford was a case of hits and misses but the entire experience was generally a positive one. Coupled with great ambience and good service, I might return but probably only for brunch or restaurant week where it won't cost me an arm or a leg to dine there.    See all my pictures here

Most helpful reviews for (Renamed) Clifford

Great ambience

Clifford Pier, which used to be a landing point for immigrants and sea passengers in its heyday, has seen a huge transformation in recent times into what is now known as the Fullerton Bay Hotel. In it houses Clifford, a swanky French American restaurant that is aptly named after this iconic Singapore landmark.

The hotel is beautiful, with vast sea views through windows that seem to stretch on forever. And the restaurant itself is no exception. Designed by Andre Fu, who is apparently one of Asia's highly sought after architect, the interior boasts high columns and ceilings, tall drapery and classic wood furnishing. In two words, awe inspiring. Throw in views of the sea and you are all set for a wonderful atmosphere.

Complimentary Bread - Imagine my surprise when our complimentary bread came with a small dish of pork rillette. Though not as moist or exquisite as Aronia De Takazawa's Okinawan pork rendition, it was still much appreciated, especially with the warm, crusty and chewy baguette. Very good start.

3 Hr Homemade Duck Confit - You get a choice of either truffle mashed potatoes or pommes sarladaise (potatoes sauteed in duck fat and garlic). I chose the former although it is said that the latter goes best with duck confit. No regrets though as the mashed potato was very smooth with a nice truffle taste and fragrance at the top layer. The duck confit was of the crisp variant and I must say I enjoyed it quite a fair bit. Crispy roasted skin and tender meat without the excessive salt. But as you know, duck confit is essentially duck cooked in its own fat, so watch out for the oil.

Truffle Fries - At $9 a pop (we ordered 2), this is some seriously expensive fries for its portion size (imagine a packet of small fries from MacDonalds). But hey, anything with truffle is nice (I'm biased!) and the fries went like hotcakes (proves my point). It definitely helped that the fries were fresh and not reeking of rancid oil.

Dessert Sample - There is a grand total of 5 desserts on the menu and if you are hard pressed to pick one or are dying to try everything, just go for the dessert sample, which includes a sample of everything - namely, Dark Chocolate Fondant, Passion Fruit Rum Baba, Sugar Crusted Profiteroles, Creme Brulee and Lemon Tart.

The chocolate fondant had a nice crisp shell that crumbled under pressure from a spoon, revealing a rather thin and not too viscous filling of molten chocolate. However, the chocolate was surprisingly quite rich and overall, I thought it was quite good.

This is honestly my first time eating rum baba (a small yeast cake soaked in rum) and I liked it quite a fair bit. Soft, moist and rather sourish(from the infusion of passion fruit) with a very strong rum taste. Served up with mango tartar and yogurt sorbert, with the latter being sublimely smooth and good.

I like my profiteroles drenched in molten chocolate sauce and this one met that criteria, well almost. The pastry held up well against the chocolate sauce and didn't come across as limp. Quite good.

Beautifully torched on the surface, coupled with a smooth and creamy texture, the creme brulee had nothing going against it. Well, maybe except for the less than generous use of vanilla beans.

Last but not least, the lemon tart, which was surprisingly quite good to me, given that I am not exactly a big fan of sour stuff. The tart base was nice and crumbly with a wholesome baked taste attached to it but more importantly (to me at least), the tartness of the lemon filling was pleasantly mild.

Petit Fours - A nice simple gesture to end off our meal. But how are we suppose to split 2 pieces of cookies and marshmallows between the 5 of us?

With 2 bottles of still water, the bill for the 5 of us came up to about $318, which isn't too expensive if you ask me. Especially when the food is decent and the ambience, great. Service could have been better as the wait staff did seem a little withdrawn and cold though executing their duties perfectly. I would love to be back, especially for dinner. And yes, they do serve ice water. ;)

Beautiful Interior

We had the lamb rack and roasted cod for mains, and the chocolate fondant and raisin apple crepe for dessert. The lamb was slightly tough and while it was not one of the best dinning experiences I have had in terms of quality of food, overall it was relatively good. I found the meal for four to be set at a reasonable price considering we had dessert and drinks. The interior was beautiful. I recommend sitting inside for dinner but outside for drinks. The location of the resteraunt is ideal in that you get a nice view from the outside or through the wall to floor glass windows if you are seated in doors. It was also relatively quiet and the romantic feel of the interior makes it ideal for a date or dinner with friends.

Clifford

For complete reviews, visit http://www.umakemehungry.com/2014/11/clifford.html

The start of our Gastronomic indulgence!

Kicked start with a bowl of awesome french onion soup! Authentic and packed full of the French's Traditional Onion Soup! Rich, filled with caramelized onions and melted gruyere cheese as well as croutons. Just cant help falling in love with the softened crouton with those sticky cheese.

Served with Truffle Ravioli, Porcini Mushroom Soup was stunning in its foamy parmesan with mascarpone cheese. Tasted light of mushroom and was very smooth, a total addiction!

220g of grilled Angus beef Entrecote (premium cut on beef) with Beurre Maitre D'Hotel (parsley butter)  and a side of Fries infused with the great truffle scent.

Considering its price tag, perhaps many would have turn off after looking at its menu. However, I will like to emphasize that for the excellent ambiance, food quality and personalized service, its all worth the money spend for a memorable session here in Clifford.

A belated birthday celebration to remember

Friday night, thank goodness just a short jam leading to clifford centre. We parked and strolled over to the Fullerton. Our venue for the night is The clifford restaurant...

Booked a quiet corner and cake for my wife in advanced... Hoped she would love the food...

Ordered a couple of rose sparkling wine to begin with and our gastronomical indulgence took a leap forward..

1st up: half a dozen freshly shacked Oyster... Magnific... Almost like they have just plucked them out of the ocean and served us. Comes with a trio of thousand island, vingerette, oriental dressing...
Lemon and tobasco if you're old fashioned like me.

After that, my wife had the beef carpaccio and the usual mushroom soup for me.

Wife rates the beef carpaccio at 8.5/10
A great balance of the vingerette, rockets, raw beef and a unique crust in the middle... Yummy

First taste of the soup.... Pretty standard fare till u discover a nice dumpling infused with truffle... Mind blowing

For mains:
Wife had the whole lobster with angel hair.
Rated at 9/10

Me:
Steak and truffle infused fries.
9/10
Tender, tasty, juicy (till I managed to drip on my shirt)

Must try the upside down apple pie for 2
Warm plump apples on a pastry served with a toffee sauce to die for... Oh and a scoop of ice cream.

They were nice enough to even give my wife a small birthday cake that is rich and hint of bitterness of dark chocolate... Beautiful

Highly recommended for a romantic night out.

Thank you cherie our host for the night. You are a gem!!!