Crystal Jade Golden Palace (翡翠金阁)

Summary

dim sum, Orh nee, Peking duck, Appetiser Platter of Braised Duck, Octopus, Pork Belly and Tofu, Bird Nest Egg Tarts, Cold Teochew Crab, Custard Bun, Fried pomfret with tomatoes in claypot, Mustard Leaves with egg white sauce, Oyster Omelette, Pomfet with leek and radish stew, Roast Duck, Sauteed Prawns with Salted Eggs on a Donut, Teochew Braised Goose, Wok-fried ‘Chai-Po Kway Teow’, braised e fu noodles with mushroom, cereal prawns, kale vegetable in scallop sauce, poon choi, soups, suckling pig View all
Business Dining, Dinner, Lunch, Large Groups/Gathering, Children/Family, Quiet, Fine Dining, Private Dining, Brunch, After Work, Romance/First Dates View all

A great idea for CNY dinners

See the full review at http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.sg/2014/01/invited-tasting-revisit-crystal-jade.html

The Crystal Jade Group of restaurants is one of those reliable chain-name restaurants that one can always depend on for a good meal. Of the lot, the mixed Teochew-Cantonese Golden Palace branch at Paragon is the most refined and my pick for a meal that'll definitely impress. The imposing décor with deep red and s*** black hues, luxurious chandeliers and large cavernous hall, is matched by the exquisite fare and generally faultless service.

We were here for an invited tasting, and returned twice to sample their festive CNY offerings.

1) Hearty Five-Treasure Yusheng ($128.80): best yusheng ever. Golden Palace's rendition is truly one-of-a-kind, with luxurious gold leaves, juicy mangoes, and hazelnut oil all upping the ante in extravagance. The large portion can easily feed up to 12 persons.

2) Deep Fried Japanese Amadai ($54 at $5.50 per 37.5gm): some Jap delicacy, u hv to eat the scales and all. A lightly adorned dish made delicious by great frying and really fresh ingredients.

3) Stewed Canadian Lobster ($88 at $11 per 100gm): that velvety halibut fish gravy is awesome, it complemented the delicate springy flesh of the lobster

4) Sauteed Kurobuta Pork Strips ($28): note that this is an ADVANCED order, so remember to call ahead to pre-order this. Very scrumptious, the succulent pork strips were uniquely fragranced with extra virgin coconut oil

5) Braised Sea Cucumber and Scallop ($68): sea cucumber was braised to chewy perfection, and the scallops were cooked just right, but its pricing was quite excessive

6) Glutinous Rice Cake ($23.80 for whole cake) or "nian gao": steamed and lightly tossed with shredded coconut and peanuts. It didn't have that yucky sickeningly sweet and slightly stale after-taste present in most nian gaos. I don't usually eat this, even during the CNY festive period, but I actually finished this up, so that's saying something.

Most helpful reviews for Crystal Jade Golden Palace

expensive but authentic yum cha

We love a good yum cha place. Was here last Saturday with my family to yum cha. It is definitely not cheap. However, if you are willing to pay for authentic dim sum with a nice atmosphere, this is it.  To know if the place serves good and authentic dim sum, one should try the roast pork. This place does it really good. A great place for Saturday afternoon although they do have a time limit for different seating. Thus, I chose the last seating at 1.30pm.

Dim Sum time

Try their dim sum. This is the outlet I will go to eat my favourite dim sum of all times: Ha gao. Their Siew mai is not too bad too. Generous amount of prawns. If you are still hungry, you can try their Congee, hong kong style. (though I hope they will have more ingredients in the congee). After a nice meal, its good to end it with a bowl of hot desert. They have quite a variety to choose from. You may try the orh nee.

Just when I thought I'd tried it all, I found what's possibly a Winner in Dim Sum

The hunt for the best dim sum in Singapore took us to Crystal Jade Golden Palace next.

To be honest, the last time I’d been there was years ago, and I distinctly recall having only had a bowl of porridge; not exactly a memory befitting of a place like Crystal Jade Golden Palace, although in my defence, I still did recall it to be quite lovely.

After visiting the Dim Sum greats like Wah Lok and Taste Paradise, I had high hopes and an even high risk of being disappointed, but Crystal Jade Golden Palace couldn't have proved me more wrong.

Here's why you should go as well as a list of the top dishes to try!

Best Dim Sum in Singapore

I love dim sum/yum cha and I have been to the top dim sum restaurants in Singapore (and Hong Kong).  In my opinion, Crystal Jade Golden Palace is the best in Singapore, despite having a lower rating than some others on HungryGoWhere.  My opinion was reaffirmed yesterday.  We ordered a variety of dim sum - har gow, siew mai, cha siew bao, cheong fun, lor bak gou, wu gok, lor mai gai, siew yuk, pei dan jook, among others.  Each dish was masterfully prepared - delicate and delicious.  The service and ambience were very good.  And at $30 per head, it was excellent value.  One of my favourite restaurants in Singapore - highly recommended.

Yummy Teochew Cuisine!

It has been a long time since I am back at Crystal Jade Golden Palace at Paragon. This is one of the few restaurants in Singapore that offer Teochew cuisine in an upmarket environment.

The décor is very chic, with chandeliers on stands located on the main dining floor. The restaurant has a very modern chic ambience.

Here are the dishes we had:

Roast Duck: We ordered half a roast duck. You can choose between roast (where you get duck meat and the skin together) or Peking Duck, where you enjoy the crispy duck skin with crepes.)

- Appetiser Platter of Braised Duck, Octopus, Pork Belly and Tofu: The Braised Duck and Octopus items were good, and were all gone in no time.

- Pomfet with leek and radish stew: This was the best dish of the meal. The manager had recommended it. The soup gravy went well with white rice and it was flavourful. The pomfret was large and sliced up, fried and cooked in the stock.

- Mustard Leaves with egg white sauce: Mustard leaves are usually bitter. This was done well. The mustard leaves were only slightly bitter and the egg white sauce gave a sweet smooth after- taste. Try it.

- Oyster Omelette: This was good. Generous amounts of oysters were in the omelette. I liked this dish. Recommended.

- ‘Luo Han Zai’: It was ok. Would order other vegetable dishes for future visits.

- Wok-fried ‘Chai-Po Kway Teow’: This was much like your char kway teow. I had better ones elsewhere.

We couldn’t end our meal without dessert. So we ordered the Teochew dessert ‘Or-Nee’. It was well prepared and we finished our desserts in no time.

Try this restaurant, if you are looking for traditional Teochew delights.