Summary

Ambience3
Chicken & Milk Broth, Chicken & Milk Broth View all

Not a pleasant experience

Went to Danro on Saturday night. Good thing we made a reservation cos the place is quite packed.

It's not authentic japanese fare but for the price of $25.90++(weekends), what can we expect? At least the food is fresh. Tried the spicy chicken broth & wafu. It's not spicy at all and the chicken broth pales in comparison to Bijin Nabe (Plaza Singapura).

We were told the Kiritanpo (Danro's specialty) is not available. Naturally, we felt shortchanged. The waitress was initially adamant about it until we raise the point that the Kiritanpo is their specialty, if they had ran out of it, this should have been made known to diners beforehand. (note: Danro's practice is payment before dine so if you are there for the Kiritanpo, better check before paying)

The waitress then returned and advised we need to wait 2 hours for the kitchen to prepare the Kiritanpo. Gosh ... is the making of Kiritanpo that complex?? Anyway, the manager was nice enough to offer us a special service by making some for us within 30 mins. That's a nice gesture.

Overall, food is acceptable but service standard of the crew is quite lacking. For the kinda price I would have expected better service than other inexpensive hotpot place. Probably won't visit again as the food is nothing to cry about.

Most helpful reviews for Danro Japanese Hot Pot (NEX)

Danro Japanese Hot Pot buffet

The variety of food available was rather limited. The only part I liked was the shabushabu. The rest were normal fare and one station was simply a more atas version of a yong tau foo stall. How is it considered as Japanese cuisine?

The soup bases had to be refilled on our own (it's really self-service) and they run out really fast. The place seemed quite short-staffed for our empty plates were piling up without anyone clearing them. I don't really think the service charge was justified if that is the kind of service that we get.

Though it was quiet and the ambience was good for chatting with friends, I didn't enjoy the overall experience. Not going to patronise the place again. (Yeah, I felt cheated by the blog reviews online raving about how good the place was with their soft serve icecream machines and kiritanpo. They lied. ><)

Full Review: http://awwsnapz.blogspot.sg/2014/08/danro-hot-pot-buffet.html

Very disappointed, bad experience

Bad experience. Was attracted to the food review, hence I was excited to pay a visit. The staff was good to call us after a 30mins wait. Let's not mention about food first, we went in at 8.30pm. The staff SHOULD have told us that they closed at 930pm (thou I check closing time was 10pm) and we have not enough time to eat. Yet they told us halfway through our meal, my friend & I was like "what, it's just pass like 30mins for god sake. Variety of food is not as stated ALOT and many was empty. The staff even start packing/clearing everything once they told us, its just 9pm. A way of forcing us to leave? because there was NO FOOD! I wouodnt visit again.

不划算

the varieties of food has drop. the freshness of ingredient also follows. only good when you are going for weekdays lunch with a hungry kid. so if not going with kid. it not worth your money.

Specialty flavored Japanese Hot Pot with Kiritanpo

Food/Drink 4 | Value 4 | Ambience 3 | Service N/A

For more reviews and pics, visit my blog at www.ms-skinnyfat.com   Located at NEX at Serangoon Central, Danro serves specialty hot pots from different prefecture in Japan. There are 8 traditionally soup bases specific to various regions in Japan, all painstakingly created and prepared by Executive Chef Sonoda-san.    You'll get to choose 2 flavors for your communal pot. I would highly recommend the Wafu Broth, a light miso taste to help you better savor the flavors of the ingredients.   A selection of cold Japanese appetizers are available. I very much enjoyed the cold soba, as well as the special Onsen eggs in light soy. They were the most appetizing and refreshing dishes that acted like palate cleansers after all that meat in the steamboat.    Here you get your Japanese sliced shabu shabu beef, sliced shabu shabu pork, shoyu marinated pork ribs, shoyu marinated diced chicken. While the meat is not of the highest marbling, it'll have to do considering the low prices you'll be paying.    I have to say i was quite impressed with the standard of the cooked dishes. While there is nothing Japanese about them, they are quite well prepared local favorites. Kids would love the fried dumplings and nuggets.    Danro's specialty is their Kiritanpo, an Akita tradition. These grilled rice skewers are fixtures at hot pots. Chef Kazunori Sonoda would first pound and mash freshly cooked Japanese rice, form cylinder sticks by hand, brush special sweet sauce and miso for flavour, and toast them on an open fire till the outer layer is slightly crisp. These rice sticks can be dipped into the hot pot soup, or enjoyed with one of DANRO’s specially made dips.