Back to Dessert First#01-04, Liang Seah Court, 8 Liang Seah Street

High Tea3 votes

yveyanxi
 • 10 Jun 2014 15 reviews 0 follower
Overall
I am a durian lover so I was naturally attracted to Desserts First amongst all other dessert places along the street. Unfortunately, apart from the real durian and ice-cream, I did not enjoy the highly-recommended Durian Shaved Ice at all. The waffle was okay, but the custard buns were exactly those you can get from NTUC and were an absolute waste of money.

Read full review here:

Weekend Eat What
 • 22 Sep 2013 31 reviews 0 follower
Overall
For full review: http://weekendeatwhatsg.blogspot.sg/2013/09/desserts-first.html

The weather is so hot these days that sometimes I just want to chill in aircon places only. Another great way to hide from the heat is to eat a bowl of cold dessert. In the field of desserts, one of my favourite types would be the Hong Kong style desserts.. Now I am able to find a piece of Hong Kong in Singapore. That will be along Liang Seah Street which has the three big players in the Hong Kong dessert scene: Desserts First 糖水先, Ah Chew Desserts and Ji De Chi. I observed that Desserts First is usually the most crowded, especially after dinner time.

During peak hours (i.e. after dinner, lunch), sharing tables with strangers is a must if you are with friends in small groups. That's because the tables are mostly for big groups. I went during off-peak hours during a weekend afternoon and there was no crowd. Mandarin pop songs were played which made me felt like I was in Taiwan instantly.

The menu is on the table. After you decide what you want, proceed to order at the cashier.If you are a durian lover like me, you must try the Durian Shaved Ice ($6). Either Durian Shaved Ice or the Durian Snow Ice. They used real D24 durians. Look at the top .. It's real durian fruit which was rich, sweet and pungent. Every bite delivered a robust and icy durian taste. Chomping on the shaved ice and the smooth and creamy durian - a great way to relief from the heat. However, be careful if you are eating with a Durian hater. He/She might squeal in disgust if he/she catches a whiff of that durian smell which I insist it is fragrant!

The Green Tea Snow Ice with Red Beans ($5) was also a winner. It carried a bit of bitterness with the "just nice" amount of sweetness. The accompanying red beans were sweet and complemented the green tea well. The "snow ice" were firm yet soft and melts in the mouth, making it a refreshing treat on a hot day.

The mango desserts are also their specialty. The Mango Snow Ice ($5.50) is my favourite! The mangoes were not overly sour but sweet. Layers of the "snow ice" were smooth and each of them were rich with the sweet and slightly sour mango taste. Mixed with the cubes of mango, it was heavenly! The accompanying nata de coco pieces were also very nice and addictive to chew on.

Waffle with Nutella and Bananas with Vanilla Ice-cream ($6.50) was perfectly done too. The waffle was crispy and the combination of nutella sauce and bananas was excellent. The vanilla ice-cream was sweet and creamy. Atop the hot waffle, it was a delicious treat.

Service speed was average and not fast, maybe due to the long preparation time needed to make the "snow ice". However, be patient and you will be rewarded  A tip is to avoid dinner/lunch times as you would need to wait for some time for a seat. The portions are also very big and it's a good idea to share if you are a small-eater. Overall, we loved this place very much. This place is a must-try!

Must tries: durian shaved ice, green tea snow ice, mango snow ice, waffle

Chillout, High Tea, Large Groups, Relaxed
  • Waffle with Nutella and Banana and Vanilla Icecream
  • Mango Snow Ice
  • Green Tea Snow Ice with red beans
  • Durian Shaved Ice

MissTamChiak
 • 28 Jun 2011 158 reviews 103 followers
Overall
Liang Seah has became a dessert street. We have the famous Ah Chew Desserts & Ji De Chi Hong Kong Dessert Shop, now we have Dessert First.

The shop was opened by a housewife who started making her own dessert at the age of 12. And now the lady finally fulfilled her childhood dream of opening a dessert shop.

I ordered the soya beancurd meant for 2 pax. Just like Sweet Spring @ AMK Hub, they serve their beancurd in old school wooden container. The beancurd is smooth and silky, I suppose the presentation does make the beancurd look more tasty.

We tried the mango ice shavings, they don't only serve ice and syrup but also real sweet mango cubes. I felt the ice shavings doesn't taste different from Ji De Chi though the crowd at Dessert First is much much lesser. I think if Im craving for decent ice shavings or beancurd, I would choose the quieter ambience.

Supper, Cheap Eat/Budget, Girls Night Out, Chillout, Vibrant/Noisy, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining
  • Mango Ice Shavings