17 Nov 2014 • 211 reviews • 3 followers
My colleagues and I were looking for a restaurant for a team lunch and we chose this restaurant, as they have their signature roast duck and other ala carte Chinese dishes. We went to the outlet at Serangoon Nex mall.
Here are my meal highlightsl:
- Golden Lotus Roots with Pumpkin: This is a new item on the menu. The lotus root are cut thinly and deep fried, before being tossed with salted egg yolk and pumpkin sauce. Good!
- Fish Maw Thick soup with Seafood: The soup was tasty. The ingredients were also generous and not measly. You can add vinegar and pepper to your own liking. Not bad.
- Duck Roasted with 10 Wonder herbs (Condonopsis Root, Foxglove Root, Liquorice Root, etc): The duck cooked this was touted to revitalise mental stress and promote longevity. The sauce is sweet to taste and I realised that the ‘younger age group of under 30’ preferred the duck prepared this way. I found the sauce a little sweet for my liking and it detracts from the roast duck. I preferred the duck roasted with Angelica Herb.
- Duck Roasted with Angelica Herb: The Angelica Herb health properties include nourishing blood, promote blood circulation amongst others for better health. This was my favourite dish. The duck sauce is salty, not sweet like the duck roasted with 10 wonder herbs. I went for second and third helpings.
- Braised Pork Belly: You get a slab of braised pork belly atop vegetables. The pork belly was cut on the skin in 2cm x 2cm blocks. It was tasty, but a little fatty for my liking. The guys in the group polished it up quickly with their individual bowls of plain white rice.
- Deep Fried Kai Lan with Pork Floss: Sliced Kai Lan stem are sliced, stir-fried and placed in the middle of the serving plate. The leaves of Kai Lan are then finely chopped and deep fried and placed surrounding it, followed by pork floss. This dish was unique and yummy!
- Fried Shrimp Egg: Fried beaten egg with shrimp. It was OK, something that you can cook at home.
- Homemade Wheatgerm Tofu with diced seafood and vegetables: Wheatgerm juice is mixed into the tofu and left to set. It is fried as a block and placed in a serving dish with diced seafood and diced vegetables in a starchy sauce.
- Stir Fried Seafood Bee Hoon with Fish Sauce: I couldn’t really taste the fish sauce, as the noodles were dry. It was alright., with pieces of prawns and squid stirred with the noodles.
- Osmanthus and Wolfberry Jelly: Set in round jelly mounds, the jelly had Osmanthus flowers and wolfberries in it. A nice dessert to round off the meal.
For drinks, I had:
- Chrysanthemum Tea: Unlike chrysanthemum tea that you find elsewhere, this had some herbal taste in it.
- Lime and Sour Plum Drink: Refreshing and the addition of the sour plum added a sweet and sour flavour to the drink. Try it!
It was a good meal at Dian Xiao Er and I will definitely be back again for some of my favourite dishes and try out new ones.