Review for Din Tai Fung (Junction 8) (鼎泰丰)

3.6

AsianChineseShanghaineseTaiwanese
Address: #01-41, Junction 8 Shopping Centre, 9 Bishan Place, 579837
01 Apr 2014

Consistently good

For the full review with pictures, click here.    The pickled vegetable starter [$3.50] is practically mandatory, when it’s in stock. I find that when I go during off peak, no queue hours, they are typically out of pickled vegetables, so I’ve learnt to embrace the DTF queue   Of course we ordered the xlbs [$6.80]. I suppose there’s no need to talk about quality here since DTF is consistent in its preparation. I love the xlbs here. They’re not spectacular, but they are good and are filled with a very flavourful broth.   We also had their deep fried prawn and pork dumplings [$7.30] for the first time. They serve it with a sweet sauce that is somewhat like Hoisin, but much less sticky. A bit similar to the sweet sauce served with yong tau foo or chee cheong fun sometimes. They were delicious!   Our typical carbs here are the egg fried rice [$6.80] and the gan ban mian [$6.00]. Both the fried rice and the noodles are masterfully executed and so affordable!

More reviews of Din Tai Fung

avoid rush hours

we stubbled across this place at bishan junction 8  but it is the crowd that is so scary. as we went to the place at around dinner time, oh my gosh the queue was super bad and even though we were only 2 people we had to wait for about 1 hour or more. we were so hungry at that time that we had to just hope and pray that the queue would move faster. at last it was close to 830 when we go into the restaurant and we just gobbled our food, what ever that was served to us was gone in a few seconds.
however i still like the standard of the one in taiwan, but cannot compare since we are in singapore

Really crowded. Avoid peak hours

The famous brand from Taiwan and a brand under the local company BreadTalk Group, this place is famous for its xiao long bao and noodles and fried rice. One thing to note and I dare say it does not only apply to this outlet is to avoid peak hours at all costs. Once lunch or dinnertime approaches, it can be a good 30mins to 1 hour or more wait just to get a table, depending on the number of pax you have with you.

Do try their xiao long baos and I would recommend their pork cutlet fried rice or seafood fried rice as well. For appetizers they have a type of vegetable dish called xiao cai which seems fairly simple but has a really wonderful taste so do try it. And to top it up, Din Tai Fung practises an open kitchen concept so you can view the chefs at work making their xiao long baos and dumplings while enjoying your meal.

As mentioned, take note of the timings; if possible, go before the peak periods.

Purple Taste: Din Tai Fung 鼎泰豐 @ Junction 8 Bishan

Do you have a favourite outlet of Din Tai Fung in Singapore? It is pretty easy to find a branch, regardless of whether you are at the North, South, East or West side of Singapore.

It was lunch hour, and there was just the two of us. It was a hot day, so we went for the cool comfort of modern world air-conditioning. Ordered a pork chop fried rice and the all-time-favourite and must-order, the original steamed pork dumplings (猪肉小笼包).

steamed pork dumplings (猪肉小笼包) @ $10.90++
The xiao long bao (steamed pork dumplings) felt a tad smaller and less juicy, and somehow the fold slightly not so refined. It still tasted good though and that was all that mattered. Tiny parcels with tiny burst of robust pork flavour.

pork chop fried rice (猪排蛋炒饭) @$12.90++
The pork chop fried rice surprised me a little. Usually, the flavours of the fried rice was really mild. This plate of pork chop rice was the tastiest of all Din Tai Fungs thus far that I've ever tried in Singapore. Not to say I've tried many but at least when compared against the ones at JEM, Serangoon NEX, Paragon and Resorts World Sentosa. The pork chop did not dissappoint. Wonderfully tender and tasty.

Expect to spend from $15 onwards for a meal here.

Overall

Still on of my favourites

View the full menu here:  http://chewingyum.com/2015/11/18/din-tai-fung/

After years of frequenting DTF, I've yet to be dissapointed. Yes, the xiao long bao is not the best you can get, but its pretty darn good! And the fact that they have outlets in so many places makes it so assessable and easy to get your fix.

The pork chop fried rice is my favourite! Very generous with the pork chop, and the consistency is always there too. Of course, DTF does get really busy, especially over the weekends. Not ideal but I can see why. The servers always respond fast though, and my cup usually doesn't go more than a minute before it gets filled. Overall, still one of the best places to get your chinese food craving fix in Singapore.  Highly recommend DTF :)

Xiao Long Bao & Handmade Noodle

Enjoyed the handmade noodle by cook and Xiao Long Bao that will squeeze it juice out when bite. Tasty fried rice and well cooked egg that one can never stop eating. Ideal place for family dine or occasion.