Don Quijote Spanish Restaurant has closed.

(Closed) Don Quijote Spanish Restaurant (Lorong Kilat)

Summary

Paella, Oxtail Stew, Black Pig Ham, Sangria, lamb chops, paellas, squid ink paella & pasta, white wine sangria, Asari clams in white wine broth, Baby squid, Cava Sangria, Don Quijote's special paella, Dry Martini, Eggplant Shrimp, Iberico, Not the Jamon, Paella Negra, Potatos Bravas, Sangria Blanca (white), Sangria De Cava, Sangria Tinto, Scallop Shells filled with Scallop & Crab Meat in a Bechamel Sauce, Seafood Paella, Spanish Meatballs, Spanish baby squid, Special seafood paella; squid-ink pasta; chocolate lava cake, Squid Ink Paella, Squid Ink Pasta, The Quiote Special Paella, The beef with blue cheese and squid ink paella, Valformosa Claudia., all, bacon with asparagus, baked eggplant, braised eggplant, bread and butter pudding, cabbage rice rolls, calamari, chorizo, croquetas de jambon, cured white jamon, everything, fried garlic mushrooms, garlic mushrooms, oxtail, pasta with beef and mushrooms. orange cheesecake, pumpkin Soup; seafood rice...., spanish omelette and Sangria, sparkling sangria, tapas and sangria la, tortilla View all
Dinner, Hidden Find, Chillout, After Work, Large Groups/Gathering, Quiet, Children/Family, Girls Night Out, Romance/First Dates, Vibrant/Noisy, Brunch, Lunch, Wine Lists, Boys Night Out, Private Dining, Business Dining, Supper, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining View all

A Great Find

A great little restaurant where you wouldn't have thought to look! The decor is really nice and warm and bright and very nice. The place was quite full as well for somewhere hidden out on the west.

Came here on Friday night for dinner with friends. We ordered the Sangria- which was pretty tasty but needed a splash more alcohol for the price.

Tapas ordered were meatballs in tomato sauce, scallop/crab with belcmel, tuna stuffed peppers, mushrooms, chorizo, potatas bravas. The best was the potatas bravas!

We had then ordered a Valencian Paellea for everyone at the table to share. The menu states that you need to wait 25-30 minutes for paella, but since we had ordered tapas no problems. So we finished round after round of tapas, but no paella. We then waited a little longer and still no paella. When we mentioned to the waitress she said she would go check - and it obviously had not been entered. All the staff were very apologetic and gave an extra tapas dish plus our next sangria for free - very happy with this.

Paella tasted good but was missing the chicken. Could have been tastier but this could have been due to the last minute preparation.

All in all a good experience, since the extra effort and concern from the staff made up for the 'forgotten' paella.

Most helpful reviews for (Closed) Don Quijote Spanish Restaurant (Lorong Kilat)

Sunday tapas brunch ala carte buffet

Noted of this Spanish restaurant from various sources, the papers, magazines, etc. Found the restaurant website one evening and noted that they have a Sunday tapas brunch ala carte buffet, offering about 20 types of tapas. Thought it was a great idea to check it out at a fixed per head price and headed down on a Sunday afternoon.

The place was barely half-filled to our surprise, given the craze that people have these days for Sunday brunch.

There were 3 prices for the buffet:$33++ with free-flow juices/soft drinks$48++ with free-flow Sangria/house wines (not a must to stick to only one type of drink once chosen)$62++ with free-flow Sangria de Cava

We opted for the $48 one as we wanted the free-flow sangria. What's a spanish without Sangria, I felt. :)

Nibbling on the complimentary bread with garlic butter spread, we quickly placed our orders. Servings were not of minute portion and so we were unable to try all the items. But still, check out the following on what we had:

Chorizo Asado (BBQ Spicy Sausages)

- Not spicy. Just usual salty stuff as per sausages.

Ensalada Russia (Russian Salad)

- Creamy dressing of mixed veg (diced carrots, corn, etc) on top of fresh greens

Manitas de Cerdo con Garbanzos (Stewed Pig's Feet with White Beans)

- I love this dish, primarily for all the collagen I was eating! No fats, not much meat of cos. Just collagen!! Melts in the mouth. Ladies, get this if you want your collagen fix!

Pinchos Morunos de Pollo (Chicken on the Spit, skewered)

- Large tender chicken piece served skewered with a piece of bell pepper

- 4 skewers per portion served

- Just a little oily

La Carne de Vaca y Setas las Pastas (Beef and Mushroom Pasta)

- Can do away with the beef as its well-done and too tough for my liking

- Not the al dente kind of pasta, even though the cream base was not that bad. So give this a miss or request for al dente pasta if one prefers al dente pasta

Rollitos de Salmon y Quesos (Salmon Rolls, stuffed with Cheese and Lettuce)

- Cold dish

- Not much cheese detected, minimal smoke salmon taste. Better if there is more for a balanced taste when biting into the roll.

Aguacate con Cangrejo (Crab, Scallop and Avocado meats, made into a dip)

- Its more of a spread than a dip and served with toasted bread and fresh greens

- Only for avocado & seafood lovers, as the taste can get a little too much after a while.

Calamares Fritto (Calamari)

- Not tough, crispy batter

Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Fried Shrimp)

- Generous with the garlic, I like

Setas al Ajillo (Garlic Fried Mushrooms)

Tortilla Espanola (Spanish-style Eggs, stuffed with potatoes)

Revuelto de Esparragos y Gambas (Scrambled eggs with Asparagus and Shrimp)

- 1st look and I wondered if I was served Prawn Omelette (ze char style)..LOL!

- Eggs were soft (scrambled style), lightly stir fried with whole shrimps and sliced asparagus.

Rollitos de Beicon con Esparragos (Asparagus rolled in Bacon)

- I like that the bacon is not overly salty and generous with the asparagus.

Red Sangria- Potent stuff! Woah! One of the best Sangria I had so far, until I find a better one. :P

- Those who drive, better avoid. Those who can't hold their liquor, better avoid or just share with others.

Note: Dessert lovers, no worries, there are a couple of dessert items on the menu for the buffet as well. Just that we were too stuffed to even have any.

Service was prompt, attentive and friendly. No need to ask for re-fill of the drinks or clearing of plates.

Overall, I like the food and will re-visit to check out the paellas and other ala carte items. Wonder when...winkz!

Photos...

Watered-down version of Spanish food

Having been to various parts of Spain, I was pretty disappointed with the finds from Don Quijote. They serve a pretty watered-down version of Spanish food, perhaps in a bid to make it more 'Singaporean'. The value also isn't really there.

Soso

Had dinner here on a week night. We were the only guests for the 1.5hours we were there.

The tortilla is lacklustre and bland, do not order it.

I love paella so it was a natural choice and the Seafood and Chicken Paella was a hit. The rice was rightly nice and well flavoured and it was served with generous amounts of chicken, clams and mussels. Chicken was slightly dry and the shellfish were nothing spectacular. Not the best I had but the rice is good enough and I polished it off.

Angelhair (or another fine pasta) Pasta Vongole (clams) was pretty flavourful and I liked it but it wasn't the best rendition I had as it doesn't edge you on to continue eating.

Decent place with nice decor and a very chilled out setting, its nice as a chill out spot along lorong kilat with friends at night for some conversation but its just not a place I would return to unless I really wanted some paella, but why paella when I can have some damn good risotto elsewhere.

Is slow = nice?

I had Brunch Buffet there and for more detailed descriptions of every dish ordered and pictures you can visit my blog.

Firstly, please come as soon as the place opens for brunch buffet because they serve the food really really slowly. I think it's about a rate of 3 dishes per half an hour? And it didn't help that the serving they gave me was pretty small. Maybe 'cause it's only the two of us. Interestingly, their serving speed is considered fast in Spain. Hmm...

Secondly, the waiter there got my orders mixed up with another table's so some of my food went there. When i asked why the food ain't here yet, they said sorry it's sold out. And then i went: But i ordered it half an hour ago! And then, they will give me the food that's apparently sold out in 15 minutes. I don't think it's a bad thing to serve food that they told me were sold out but doing that irritates me a little. Because i would have ordered extra food to compensate for those that were supposedly sold out.

Okay, now that the service part is over, i'll move on to the food. Honestly, it's a bit disappointing. I've expected many good spanish dishes, but most of them turned out to be average. The notable ones are the tortilla, fried calamari, egg omelet, garlic fried mushrooms, bacon with asparagus, pasta with beef and mushrooms, orange cheesecake and bread and butter pudding. that's 7 dishes out of a menu of 20-25 dishes. Oh and the fried calamari came cold. Their garlic mushrooms were super good too- chewy, juicy , big and fragrant. The beef in their pasta is steak standard, very tender and succulent. But i really have to say, their saving grace was their deserts. The cheesecake and bread and butter pudding was really awesome and i wished i had stuffed myself with lesser mains and with more deserts. As for the Sangria there, it tastes not bad and they have both red and white Sangria. i preferred the white one because i like my wine sweet. White Sangria tastes a little like Moscato.

Verdict:

Come early, order a lot at a go because it comes very slowly. Order more of the notable dishes because they sell out super fast. Eat more deserts.

pales badly in comparison to barcelona

I saw many good reviews on Don Quijote and decided to give it a try, because I've been looking for good paellas ever since my Barcelona trip a year ago. However, I was disappointed, to say the least.

I had their Paella Valenciana, which essentially tasted similar to something in between claypot rice and bak zhang (chinese dumpling). The rice (we chose Al Dente which was a mistake) was really dry and hard at the bottom (imagine claypot rice). The taste of the paella indeed pales in comparison to those that I had at any random restaurant in Barcelona. Needless to say, I was rather disappointed because I have yet to find a restaurant in sg which serves paella that is up to standard. The only good thing about the paella at Don Quijote is that they were very generous with the amount of seafood used.

On top of the paella, I also had their garlic shrimps (one of the tapas items). It costs $14 and the portion's extremely small (approximately about 8 pieces of shrimps) - a total a rip off! For better and more reasonable servings of garlic shrimps, try Esmirada which has been reviewed below.

Their Sangria Blanca (white) was probably the only satisfactory item of the day. It was light, fruity and refreshing, just the way I liked it to be.

It is unlikely that I would give this place a second try. Paella is something very close to my heart and brings back many good memories, so it is disappointing to taste sub-standard ones such as that at Don Quijote.