Don Quijote Spanish Restaurant has closed.

Review for (Closed) Don Quijote Spanish Restaurant (Lorong Kilat)

3.8

EuropeanMediterraneanSpanishWesternWine
Address: #01-09, 17 Lorong Kilat, 598139
11 Mar 2009

A Great Find

A great little restaurant where you wouldn't have thought to look! The decor is really nice and warm and bright and very nice. The place was quite full as well for somewhere hidden out on the west.

Came here on Friday night for dinner with friends. We ordered the Sangria- which was pretty tasty but needed a splash more alcohol for the price.

Tapas ordered were meatballs in tomato sauce, scallop/crab with belcmel, tuna stuffed peppers, mushrooms, chorizo, potatas bravas. The best was the potatas bravas!

We had then ordered a Valencian Paellea for everyone at the table to share. The menu states that you need to wait 25-30 minutes for paella, but since we had ordered tapas no problems. So we finished round after round of tapas, but no paella. We then waited a little longer and still no paella. When we mentioned to the waitress she said she would go check - and it obviously had not been entered. All the staff were very apologetic and gave an extra tapas dish plus our next sangria for free - very happy with this.

Paella tasted good but was missing the chicken. Could have been tastier but this could have been due to the last minute preparation.

All in all a good experience, since the extra effort and concern from the staff made up for the 'forgotten' paella.
Potatos Bravas

More reviews of Don Quijote Spanish Restaurant

Is slow = nice?

I had Brunch Buffet there and for more detailed descriptions of every dish ordered and pictures you can visit my blog.

Firstly, please come as soon as the place opens for brunch buffet because they serve the food really really slowly. I think it's about a rate of 3 dishes per half an hour? And it didn't help that the serving they gave me was pretty small. Maybe 'cause it's only the two of us. Interestingly, their serving speed is considered fast in Spain. Hmm...

Secondly, the waiter there got my orders mixed up with another table's so some of my food went there. When i asked why the food ain't here yet, they said sorry it's sold out. And then i went: But i ordered it half an hour ago! And then, they will give me the food that's apparently sold out in 15 minutes. I don't think it's a bad thing to serve food that they told me were sold out but doing that irritates me a little. Because i would have ordered extra food to compensate for those that were supposedly sold out.

Okay, now that the service part is over, i'll move on to the food. Honestly, it's a bit disappointing. I've expected many good spanish dishes, but most of them turned out to be average. The notable ones are the tortilla, fried calamari, egg omelet, garlic fried mushrooms, bacon with asparagus, pasta with beef and mushrooms, orange cheesecake and bread and butter pudding. that's 7 dishes out of a menu of 20-25 dishes. Oh and the fried calamari came cold. Their garlic mushrooms were super good too- chewy, juicy , big and fragrant. The beef in their pasta is steak standard, very tender and succulent. But i really have to say, their saving grace was their deserts. The cheesecake and bread and butter pudding was really awesome and i wished i had stuffed myself with lesser mains and with more deserts. As for the Sangria there, it tastes not bad and they have both red and white Sangria. i preferred the white one because i like my wine sweet. White Sangria tastes a little like Moscato.

Verdict:

Come early, order a lot at a go because it comes very slowly. Order more of the notable dishes because they sell out super fast. Eat more deserts.

Watered-down version of Spanish food

Having been to various parts of Spain, I was pretty disappointed with the finds from Don Quijote. They serve a pretty watered-down version of Spanish food, perhaps in a bid to make it more 'Singaporean'. The value also isn't really there.

Soso

Had dinner here on a week night. We were the only guests for the 1.5hours we were there.

The tortilla is lacklustre and bland, do not order it.

I love paella so it was a natural choice and the Seafood and Chicken Paella was a hit. The rice was rightly nice and well flavoured and it was served with generous amounts of chicken, clams and mussels. Chicken was slightly dry and the shellfish were nothing spectacular. Not the best I had but the rice is good enough and I polished it off.

Angelhair (or another fine pasta) Pasta Vongole (clams) was pretty flavourful and I liked it but it wasn't the best rendition I had as it doesn't edge you on to continue eating.

Decent place with nice decor and a very chilled out setting, its nice as a chill out spot along lorong kilat with friends at night for some conversation but its just not a place I would return to unless I really wanted some paella, but why paella when I can have some damn good risotto elsewhere.

Overall

pales badly in comparison to barcelona

I saw many good reviews on Don Quijote and decided to give it a try, because I've been looking for good paellas ever since my Barcelona trip a year ago. However, I was disappointed, to say the least.

I had their Paella Valenciana, which essentially tasted similar to something in between claypot rice and bak zhang (chinese dumpling). The rice (we chose Al Dente which was a mistake) was really dry and hard at the bottom (imagine claypot rice). The taste of the paella indeed pales in comparison to those that I had at any random restaurant in Barcelona. Needless to say, I was rather disappointed because I have yet to find a restaurant in sg which serves paella that is up to standard. The only good thing about the paella at Don Quijote is that they were very generous with the amount of seafood used.

On top of the paella, I also had their garlic shrimps (one of the tapas items). It costs $14 and the portion's extremely small (approximately about 8 pieces of shrimps) - a total a rip off! For better and more reasonable servings of garlic shrimps, try Esmirada which has been reviewed below.

Their Sangria Blanca (white) was probably the only satisfactory item of the day. It was light, fruity and refreshing, just the way I liked it to be.

It is unlikely that I would give this place a second try. Paella is something very close to my heart and brings back many good memories, so it is disappointing to taste sub-standard ones such as that at Don Quijote.

Overall

Don Quijote, not Don Quixote meh?

For photos, please visit my food blog, Rubbish Eat Rubbish Grow.

I ordered the Sangria (white wine, $13.50 a glass) first and I LOVE IT. I can't drink much and dislike the acridity of alcohol but I have always loved sangria. This one has almost no alcohol taste, very fruity and refreshing and light, with a hint of cinnamon in it. Order some for your 3-month-old baby. Most patrons, I saw, were however drinking the red wine Sangria. I always thought red wine would be heavier and not so suited for sangria but perhaps I would try that next time. Must try everything once mah. Sangra: MUST ORDER.

The menu writes: "Please note that we do it the REAL way and these items take at least 25-35 minutes to cook." Wow, I didn't know "doing it" and "cooking" have connection worh. No wonder Jamie Oliver is the Naked Chef, more convenient. "Hey you need some mayo? wait a while..moan moan, enough?" And got FAKE way to "do it" meh? Girls, "do it the REAL way," don't fake it.

There are three different sizes for the mains: small, medium and large. Although the bigger the better, the waiter recommended that the small portion could serve two people and because we three are anorexic, we ordered two small mains to share: Paella Valenciana ($30) and Fideua de Carne ($30).

The waiter then asked us if we wanted them fully cooked or al dente. I said, "Simi lai eh? Gay beng here dunno Italian lah. Speak Singlish; be understood."

He said, "Fully cooked is 100% cooked [wah lao eh, who doesn't know that?!] and al dente is 80% cooked."

Waiter fail lah. His attitude was brusque and supercilious, like he thought he knew a lot. I really dislike this waiter quite a lot. Since we're talking about the service, the service is quite bad, under-staffed, not attentive to the needs of the patrons. Very difficult to get their attention.

And the server's explanation isn't quite correct. "Al dente" means that the food is cooked to be firmed not hard. Eh...but I thought all food should be like that what? If it's hard, it means it's overcooked!

Fideua de Carne: or beef, chicken, chorizo sausages pasta cooked in saffronstock. My sister exclaimed, "Eh this one is pasta meh?"

After I ate it, I said, "this is obviously bee-hoon goreng with lap cheong (chinese sausage)." It tasted a little like Hongkong noodles at cze char stalls. Some parts of the "pasta" were uneven, some tasted spicy, some with a burnt charred taste. I like it. I like the layered texture and every bite was a surprise. (I love surprises!) The meat was marinated very tastily. And I love eating charred food. But the "pasta" was too soggy and the portion was tiny. It was just a very thin layer of food in the pan. Not a perfect dish, but if you're not too picky, it's a B grade.

Paella Valenciana: or seafood, chicken and rice in saffron stock. The seafood consisted of mussels, squid, prawns and clams. When I tasted it, I said, "Mui fan." My friend said I was hard to please. But in truth, I didn't mind this too. The rice had the taste of the seafood, and the seafood was generous, but not cooked very well. Everything was too hard.

I was still hungry after these! The portions were really quite tiny so we orderedthe Don Quijote Special ($48).

I really regretted this. I felt cheated. It is 60% more expensive than the seafood rice we had but it had exactly the same ingredients. The only "special" thing was it came with big prawns, which weren't fresh, and had no taste at all. The rice was also less fragrant. FAIL.

At a point, my sister asked, "So what is the difference between this restaurant and Fish & Co?" I honestly don't know.

When we got the bill, I was shocked because it came up to $44 per person. That's a lot for cze char food and bad service. I can see the restaurant has great potential and if it just perfected the food, put in some effort, then this would have been great. I don't feel the heart in the food.