Reviews for Donna Carmela / Caipirinha

Book a Table

Call our Reservations Hotline

+65 6884 6884

Italian Cuisine for Dinner

Donna Carmela is an authentic family owned Italian restaurant located in the heart of Bukit Timah. In terms of accessibility, it is best to drive if you are heading there. It is located along the shophouses within the residential area.
Donna Carmela served authentic home-style South Italian fare and the foods are prepared using traditional recipes that have been passed down for generations. The restaurant has a homely bricks interior and alfresco dinning style for outdoor settings. We decided to enjoy our dinner outdoor to get a better snap on the foods that we ordered.
Once we placed our orders, we were given a complimentary basket of breads and two sides.
Our main course was Carbonara Spaghetti S$21.00 that serves in carbonara sauce made with eggs, bacon, cream and black pepper.
Aragosta (Lobster) Risotto S$29.00. It has a slight taste of spiciness and sweetness flavours in it. I personally like this dish as it has the interesting combination of ingredients for the sauce to tantalize the tastebuds.
Lastly Quattro Formaggi pizza S$24.00. The pizza has the tomato, mozzarella, four cheeses and oregano. Dedicated thin crusted pizza where the cheeses are widely spread all over. I could taste the rich cheese flavours in it.
We also ordered a glass of house pour wine and a glass of prosecco S$12.00 each to enjoy with the foods. Overall was a pleasant dinning experience. Lucky for us as I read online reviews about the restaurant and it was not that pleasant. I was quite skeptical initially but it was fine for us though. I felt the prices here are quite affordable for an Italian cuisine and would be a nice place for chill and relax with families and friends. That’s explain the restaurants are mostly filled with families or neighborhoods customers. Total Bill : S$112.99 inclusive of 10% service charges and 7% GST.

Check out for more food posts at http://www.hazeldiary.com

• Complimentary bread
• 08 May 2013 • 7 reviews • 26 followers

Good Place for a beer

Overall
Looking for a great place to hang with friends over the weekend, this would be the joint. Cheap beer but overpriced food and desserts.
• 02 Jan 2013 • 254 reviews • 45 followers

Discriminatory service, sub par food

Overall
For more pictures and reviews, visit my blog at www.ms-skinnyfat.com

Donna Carmela, an Italian restaurant at Greenwood Avenue, is a restaurant that my friends and i would never visit again.    What killed it was the expectation that it sets (authentic Italian) and how miserably it does in achieving it (exceptionally slow and bad service).    The dining area is quite decent and cosy and they appear to have an extensive wine selection. Prices seemed very reasonable with their prix fixe set lunch (even on a weekend), a 3 course with tea/coffee set us back by only $25 (can't remember the exact price) and i like that they have a wide variety of options. Well, that's till our food actually arrived. And that took forever.    What we don't get is how a simple dish like parma ham with melon could take a good 20 minutes to prepare when there was no one in the restaurant other than our party of 12.    We could hardly tell the difference between a cream of mushroom and a cream of chicken. Plus it tasted worse than a diluted can of Campbell.    Average beef carpaccio. It was another long wait between our appetizers and main course despite us reminding our server time and time again as my gf had to leave earlier for a work appointment. We also noticed that some expatriate guests who came in later than us actually got their food before we did. Double standard service is absolutely intolerable. What made the long wait worse was the meh food that came after.   Pretty tasteless pasta that's supposed to come with some meat/meatballs. In this case they were quite nonexistent, if you could spot them. I can cook better pasta.   The best bet would probably be the pizza. It's not the best around, it's probably average but certainly it pales in comparison to other truly authentic Italian pizza spots. Even Da Paolo does way better ones. I certainly do not recommend this restaurant for their mediocre food and bad service.