Reviews for Donna Carmela / Caipirinha

Book a Table

Call our Reservations Hotline

+65 6884 6884

Great Value Lunch Set

Located in Greenwood Ave stretch and hidden from the main road, one may have missed out on this Italian restaurant. It offers a 3 course lunch set, priced at a reasonable $25++. The set lunch consists of a choice of Antipasto or Soup, a choice of pasta or pizza, a dessert of the day and a choice of hot drink or a glass of Prosecco.

The restaurant has both indoor and outdoor dine in area. The indoor has quite traditional look with its red brick wall on one side and filled with traditional looking chairs.

I start with some slices of bread, served in a basket. There is a bottle of olive oil and vinegar on the table to go with them. I would prefer the bread to be served hot, especially when the weather is so cold outside.

From the list of 5 choices in the Antipasti section of the lunch set menu:
 Carpaccio di Filetto di Manzo con Rucola e Scaglie di Parmiggiano
 Thinly Sliced Fresh Tenderloin Topped with Fresh Arugula, Parmesan Cheese, Dressed with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Black Pepper and Lemon.
 The raw beef is very thinly sliced and doesn't has any beefy taste.

From the list of 3 choices in the Soup section of the lunch set menu :
 Cipolla e Formaggio
 Onion & Cheese Soup
 Smell great. Smooth and rich in taste.

From the list of 10 choices in Primi Piatti (Main Course) section of the menu :
 Linguine Frutti di Mare
 Mixed Seafood Sprinkled with White Wine, Chilli, Garlic, Parsley, in Tomato Sauce
 Lots of seafood such as prawn, octopus, clam
 Rich in sauce but not the jelat type. The serving is quite huge and I cannot finish it.

Dessert of the Day :
 Profiterole topped with chocolate cream
 The cream is rich but not too much to have.

I end the meal with a glass of Prosecco.

Overall the food is great and big in serving. But being located in such ula ula place, there is not much customers during a weekday lunch. By the way the $25 lunch set is also offers on saturday too.
• 03 Jul 2015 • 67 reviews • 2 followers

Great Value Lunch Set

From the list of 5 choices in the Antipasti section of the lunch set menu:
 Carpaccio di Filetto di Manzo con Rucola e Scaglie di Parmiggiano
 The raw beef is very thinly sliced and doesn't has any beefy taste.

From the list of 3 choices in the Soup section of the lunch set menu :
 Cipolla e Formaggio
 Onion & Cheese Soup
 Smell great. Smooth and rich in taste.

From the list of 10 choices in Primi Piatti (Main Course) section of the menu :
 Linguine Frutti di Mare
 Lots of seafood such as prawn, octopus, clam

Dessert of the Day :
 Profiterole topped with chocolate cream
 The cream is rich but not too much to have.

I end the meal with a glass of Prosecco.

• 30 Jun 2015 • 3 reviews • 0 follower

Donna Come-Lah!

Overall
Full review in carriefooddiaries.wordpress.com Donna Carmela is a charming little place with its rustic interior and homey atmosphere. It's located in Hillcrest Park near Bukit Timah Rd or Dunearn Rd which is quite inaccessible for those people who don't have a car. I suggest that you take a cab or your car when you go there. I must say that this is one of the Italian restaurants that impressed me not only with their dishes but also with their passion for service. Their menu offers a wide range of pasta dishes which gives you the flexibility to choose what type of base sauce you want to go with it (e.g. Tomato cream, tomato & basil, cream sauce, etc.). I ordered Ravioli Granchio ed Aragosta in Salsa Rosa (Ravioli Stuffed w/ Crab and Lobster in Tomato Cream sauce) and Semifreddo for dessert. I was served right away with their complimentary warm, crusty ciabatta bread which I dipped in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt available on the table. The server was really friendly and served me with a smile. Having learned that I traveled a long way just to get there, she served me complimentary antipasti comprising of some cheese, green olives and mortadella. She also offered me a welcoming glass of their Prosecco to go with it. The ravioli was cooked nicely and the crab and lobster stuffing had a fresh taste of the sea. The Tomato cream sauce (or Salsa Rosa) had the right balance. The amount of cream was just right to cut the tartness of the tomato and was not overpowered by the cream. I first thought that the serving was quite small but after finishing it, I was really full. Their semifreddo, on the other hand, gave a nice ending to my meal. This is perfect especially for chocolate-lovers. Although I'm not one, I still enjoyed it because of the rawness of the chocolate flavor. It kind of gives me the same experience when I'm eating chocolate truffles (but with a cold aspect to it...hehehe!). You can tell that they used dark chocolate, which I liked, because of its richness and slight bitter taste. Also, it is not too sweet. If I had to find fault in it, the strawberry on top was not that attractive looking (it had green parts) and it was not ripe enough. It was okay for me though since the slight sourness of the strawberry gave another dimension to the dessert. Overall, despite the long commute, I would say that this place is worth visiting with its ambiance, good food and great service. I would recommend though that you visit this place during lunchtime (Mon-Sat 12-2:30 P.M.) so that you can enjoy their set lunch (Antipasti, Soup, Main - Pizza or Pasta and Dessert of the Day with coffee/tea/Prosecco for 25++).
  • Restaurant ambiance
• 26 May 2015 • 78 reviews • 1 follower

Italian Cuisine for Dinner

Overall
Donna Carmela is an authentic family owned Italian restaurant located in the heart of Bukit Timah. In terms of accessibility, it is best to drive if you are heading there. It is located along the shophouses within the residential area.
Donna Carmela served authentic home-style South Italian fare and the foods are prepared using traditional recipes that have been passed down for generations. The restaurant has a homely bricks interior and alfresco dinning style for outdoor settings. We decided to enjoy our dinner outdoor to get a better snap on the foods that we ordered.
Once we placed our orders, we were given a complimentary basket of breads and two sides.
Our main course was Carbonara Spaghetti S$21.00 that serves in carbonara sauce made with eggs, bacon, cream and black pepper.
Aragosta (Lobster) Risotto S$29.00. It has a slight taste of spiciness and sweetness flavours in it. I personally like this dish as it has the interesting combination of ingredients for the sauce to tantalize the tastebuds.
Lastly Quattro Formaggi pizza S$24.00. The pizza has the tomato, mozzarella, four cheeses and oregano. Dedicated thin crusted pizza where the cheeses are widely spread all over. I could taste the rich cheese flavours in it.
We also ordered a glass of house pour wine and a glass of prosecco S$12.00 each to enjoy with the foods. Overall was a pleasant dinning experience. Lucky for us as I read online reviews about the restaurant and it was not that pleasant. I was quite skeptical initially but it was fine for us though. I felt the prices here are quite affordable for an Italian cuisine and would be a nice place for chill and relax with families and friends. That’s explain the restaurants are mostly filled with families or neighborhoods customers. Total Bill : S$112.99 inclusive of 10% service charges and 7% GST.

Check out for more food posts at http://www.hazeldiary.com
Full photos here http://hazeldiary.com/donna-carmela-italian-restaurant/