Reviews for Donna Carmela / Caipirinha

EuropeanItalianLatin AmericanWestern
Address: Hillcrest Park, 2 Greenwood Ave, 289189

Book a Table

Book NowFree, instantly confirmed.

03 Jul 2015

Great Value Lunch Set

Located in Greenwood Ave stretch and hidden from the main road, one may have missed out on this Italian restaurant. It offers a 3 course lunch set, priced at a reasonable $25++. The set lunch consists of a choice of Antipasto or Soup, a choice of pasta or pizza, a dessert of the day and a choice of hot drink or a glass of Prosecco.
 The restaurant has both indoor and outdoor dine in area. The indoor has quite traditional look with its red brick wall on one side and filled with traditional looking chairs.
 I start with some slices of bread, served in a basket. There is a bottle of olive oil and vinegar on the table to go with them. I would prefer the bread to be served hot, especially when the weather is so cold outside.
 From the list of 5 choices in the Antipasti section of the lunch set menu:
 Carpaccio di Filetto di Manzo con Rucola e Scaglie di Parmiggiano
 Thinly Sliced Fresh Tenderloin Topped with Fresh Arugula, Parmesan Cheese, Dressed with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Black Pepper and Lemon.
 The raw beef is very thinly sliced and doesn't has any beefy taste.
 From the list of 3 choices in the Soup section of the lunch set menu :
 Cipolla e Formaggio
 Onion & Cheese Soup
 Smell great. Smooth and rich in taste.
 From the list of 10 choices in Primi Piatti (Main Course) section of the menu :
 Linguine Frutti di Mare
 Mixed Seafood Sprinkled with White Wine, Chilli, Garlic, Parsley, in Tomato Sauce
 Lots of seafood such as prawn, octopus, clam
 Rich in sauce but not the jelat type. The serving is quite huge and I cannot finish it.
 Dessert of the Day :
 Profiterole topped with chocolate cream
 The cream is rich but not too much to have.
 I end the meal with a glass of Prosecco.
 Overall the food is great and big in serving. But being located in such ula ula place, there is not much customers during a weekday lunch. By the way the $25 lunch set is also offers on saturday too.

More reviews of Donna Carmela / Caipirinha

Donna Come-Lah!

Full review in Donna Carmela is a charming little place with its rustic interior and homey atmosphere. It's located in Hillcrest Park near Bukit Timah Rd or Dunearn Rd which is quite inaccessible for those people who don't have a car. I suggest that you take a cab or your car when you go there. I must say that this is one of the Italian restaurants that impressed me not only with their dishes but also with their passion for service. Their menu offers a wide range of pasta dishes which gives you the flexibility to choose what type of base sauce you want to go with it (e.g. Tomato cream, tomato & basil, cream sauce, etc.). I ordered Ravioli Granchio ed Aragosta in Salsa Rosa (Ravioli Stuffed w/ Crab and Lobster in Tomato Cream sauce) and Semifreddo for dessert. I was served right away with their complimentary warm, crusty ciabatta bread which I dipped in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt available on the table. The server was really friendly and served me with a smile. Having learned that I traveled a long way just to get there, she served me complimentary antipasti comprising of some cheese, green olives and mortadella. She also offered me a welcoming glass of their Prosecco to go with it. The ravioli was cooked nicely and the crab and lobster stuffing had a fresh taste of the sea. The Tomato cream sauce (or Salsa Rosa) had the right balance. The amount of cream was just right to cut the tartness of the tomato and was not overpowered by the cream. I first thought that the serving was quite small but after finishing it, I was really full. Their semifreddo, on the other hand, gave a nice ending to my meal. This is perfect especially for chocolate-lovers. Although I'm not one, I still enjoyed it because of the rawness of the chocolate flavor. It kind of gives me the same experience when I'm eating chocolate truffles (but with a cold aspect to it...hehehe!). You can tell that they used dark chocolate, which I liked, because of its richness and slight bitter taste. Also, it is not too sweet. If I had to find fault in it, the strawberry on top was not that attractive looking (it had green parts) and it was not ripe enough. It was okay for me though since the slight sourness of the strawberry gave another dimension to the dessert. Overall, despite the long commute, I would say that this place is worth visiting with its ambiance, good food and great service. I would recommend though that you visit this place during lunchtime (Mon-Sat 12-2:30 P.M.) so that you can enjoy their set lunch (Antipasti, Soup, Main - Pizza or Pasta and Dessert of the Day with coffee/tea/Prosecco for 25++).

Italian Cuisine for Dinner

Donna Carmela is an authentic family owned Italian restaurant located in the heart of Bukit Timah. In terms of accessibility, it is best to drive if you are heading there. It is located along the shophouses within the residential area.
Donna Carmela served authentic home-style South Italian fare and the foods are prepared using traditional recipes that have been passed down for generations. The restaurant has a homely bricks interior and alfresco dinning style for outdoor settings. We decided to enjoy our dinner outdoor to get a better snap on the foods that we ordered.
Once we placed our orders, we were given a complimentary basket of breads and two sides.
Our main course was Carbonara Spaghetti S$21.00 that serves in carbonara sauce made with eggs, bacon, cream and black pepper.
Aragosta (Lobster) Risotto S$29.00. It has a slight taste of spiciness and sweetness flavours in it. I personally like this dish as it has the interesting combination of ingredients for the sauce to tantalize the tastebuds.
Lastly Quattro Formaggi pizza S$24.00. The pizza has the tomato, mozzarella, four cheeses and oregano. Dedicated thin crusted pizza where the cheeses are widely spread all over. I could taste the rich cheese flavours in it.
We also ordered a glass of house pour wine and a glass of prosecco S$12.00 each to enjoy with the foods.

Overall was a pleasant dinning experience. Lucky for us as I read online reviews about the restaurant and it was not that pleasant. I was quite skeptical initially but it was fine for us though. I felt the prices here are quite affordable for an Italian cuisine and would be a nice place for chill and relax with families and friends. That’s explain the restaurants are mostly filled with families or neighborhoods customers.

Total Bill : S$112.99 inclusive of 10% service charges and 7% GST.

Check out for more food posts at
Full photos here

Good Place for a beer

Looking for a great place to hang with friends over the weekend, this would be the joint. Cheap beer but overpriced food and desserts.

Discriminatory service, sub par food

For more pictures and reviews, visit my blog at

Donna Carmela, an Italian restaurant at Greenwood Avenue, is a restaurant that my friends and i would never visit again.

What killed it was the expectation that it sets (authentic Italian) and how miserably it does in achieving it (exceptionally slow and bad service).

The dining area is quite decent and cosy and they appear to have an extensive wine selection. Prices seemed very reasonable with their prix fixe set lunch (even on a weekend), a 3 course with tea/coffee set us back by only $25 (can't remember the exact price) and i like that they have a wide variety of options. Well, that's till our food actually arrived. And that took forever.

What we don't get is how a simple dish like parma ham with melon could take a good 20 minutes to prepare when there was no one in the restaurant other than our party of 12.

We could hardly tell the difference between a cream of mushroom and a cream of chicken. Plus it tasted worse than a diluted can of Campbell.

Average beef carpaccio. It was another long wait between our appetizers and main course despite us reminding our server time and time again as my gf had to leave earlier for a work appointment. We also noticed that some expatriate guests who came in later than us actually got their food before we did. Double standard service is absolutely intolerable. What made the long wait worse was the meh food that came after.

Pretty tasteless pasta that's supposed to come with some meat/meatballs. In this case they were quite nonexistent, if you could spot them. I can cook better pasta.

The best bet would probably be the pizza. It's not the best around, it's probably average but certainly it pales in comparison to other truly authentic Italian pizza spots. Even Da Paolo does way better ones. I certainly do not recommend this restaurant for their mediocre food and bad service.