Back to Ellenborough Market CaféLevel 1, Swissotel Merchant Court,...

Durian pengat6 votes
Waterfront4 votes

May Tan SY
 • 15 Dec 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Had reservated evening buffet 2 weeks ago requested for INDOOR SEATS.Infact,i postponed from 7/12/13 to 14/12/13 due to unavailable indoor seats.However,upon arrival on 14/12/13 at 1830hrs,we were told we requested for outdoor seats which was ridiculous!!!!We were told all seats are reserved although most of the indoors seats are empty most of the times.Most of the foods are horrible especially the steamed lobster and crab,very hard and not tasty at all.We were treated like 2nd class citizen outdoor without any tissue paper or wet wipes provided.Need to PAY for soft drink if required

pickledpeas
 • 13 Dec 2013 94 reviews 3 followers
Overall
See the full review with pictures here

I haven’t gone for buffets in a long time (3-4 years?) – both a result of not wanting to overeat and consequently not getting your money’s worth. I think the standard of buffets in singapore are increasing though – with fresher seafood options, salads, better pastries, to rival high tea menus in hotel restaurants. A few weeks ago we celebrated a colleague’s promotion at the Ellenborough Market Cafe, which had a really wide variety of local, nyonya, seafood, and dessert offerings, so I brought liangze back to try.

He really liked the salmon sashimi – that’s another thing that makes buffets not worth it for me – I don’t eat sashimi. The fats were really thick in these pieces, and he also enjoys salmon better than tuna, which works out well here. They have a huge tub of scooped wasabi that looks a lot like green tea ice cream.

I’m a bigger fan of the fresh seafood – the prawns were literally crunchy – perfectly done too. They also served fresh flower crab, mussels, and what looks like crawfish.

It’s a little difficult to eat all these shell fish over lunch though – they don’t provide crackers or tongs or any sort of tools, and typically if you’re eating here it’s a business lunch or a work lunch and you don’t want to smell of seafood for the rest of the day. The smell management is actually a lot better than at regular seafood restaurants like Jumbo etc.I valiantly attacked the crawfish and the crab (doesn’t seem that popular – now if they served Alaskan snow crab, that would be another matter). The seafood condiments were lemon wedges and a big bowl of this amazing cocktail sauce – much better than both the creamy British variety and the American kind. We put it oneverything. It was sweet and horseradishy.

The Teochew beggar’s purses stuffed with crab and served with malted honey on the side were really nice, so were the seafood gyoza, although the skin was a tad thick.

They have an entire nyonya section devoted to things like nyonya chap chye, buah keluak, kueh pie tee – actually the whole reason for coming was because of my kueh pie tee craving; They deep fry the shells so all of them are crispy and warm, and their turnip/carrot filling is pretty fragrant. You can top it with diced shrimp, coriander, and chilli.

The desserts yesterday were: Freshly made crepes (not stuffed, you can add your own toppings – chocolate ganache, fruit, almond slivers), cupcakes, portuguese egg tarts, passionfruit cheesecake, creme brulee in little porcelain spoons, mocha cream puffs, fruit tarts, nothing chocolate, surprisingly, their famous durian pengkat (durian puree), baskets of fresh fruit, and nyonya kueh.

There are discounts for DBS/POSB,Amex, amont other banks.

lequench
 • 23 Oct 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I went for a dinner buffet at Ellenborough Market Cafe on Monday, 14 October 2013 with 4 other friends. During the buffet dinner, we noticed that the crabs did not taste fresh.

The next day, all 5 of us developed symptoms of food poisoning -  stomach discomfort, vomitting and diarrhea. Our symptoms worsened and all of us went to the doctor's. One of my friend's symptoms were so severe that she had to be sent to the hospital and put on a drip. I myself vomitted anything I ate or drank for 3 days. Another friend had diarrhea for 4 days. The doctor's diagnosis in all 5 cases was food poisoning.

I lodged a formal complaint with the hotel and their reply was that they did not receive any complaints from the other diners for that night. This I have no way of verifying.

What I am certain, is that apart from that fateful dinner buffet, we did not had any other food in common in the days before and after that dinner buffet - and all 5 of us came down with food poisoning at the very same time.

I also note that our dinner buffet was just a day before Rachel Koh's (the reviewer below) who also experienced diarrhea after her meal.