Reviews for En Japanese Dining Bar (UE Square)

2.9

AsianJapaneseHealthy

Book a Table

dannielle

BBQ dinner 22 Dec 2012

Great Service; the servers gave great attention to details such as clear dishes, refill water, order etc.  The food was much better the last i visited especially for the BBQ stuff we ordered.
13 Jan 2015 • 9 reviews • 0 follower

NO to Groupon usage

Overall
Service: Service standard was less than moderate, and here's why: service staff's face changed as soon as we informed her that we were using a Groupon voucher. Subsequently, substandard service was provided to our table, but unsure if this was her usual service standard anyway. Separate menu on recommended dishes was given ONLY, informing us that the Groupon is only for these 20 items. No drinks menu, even though non-alcoholic drinks can be redeemed. No ala carte menu either, in case we would like to order other items. Definitely lack of product knowledge for this same staff, where we were enquiring what comprises of the skewers set. She replied "chicken & veggie". Only when we were deciding against ordering that dish, did she open up the menu and flipped back and forth looking for the right page and pointing "this, this.. And this". By the way, her "chicken & veggie" translated to shitake mushrooms, chicken wing, yakitori chicken, green chili/peppers, chicken balls. Food/Drink/Value: For the mentioned "chicken & veggie" skewers, it cost us $19.90 and we didn't even finish that. Lok-lok from Johor Bahru at $1+ per skewer taste so much better than this. Sashimi salad was good, at around $16.90. Sashimi bits were more than expected, a variety of fresh sashimi, such as salmon, tuna, tako. Beef carpaccio (half portion) was heavenly, too, at around $11.80. Soba soup (half) was okay only, at $7.80. Soup was nice and flavorful, but the noodles reminded me of the usual Chinese yellow noodle taste. Wagfu beef steak.. was way too rare in the middle, and that cost us about $18.80? Soda + juice drinks at $7.50 each, tasted more sprite than juice. Note that all the food items are on their "recommended dishes" menu. Not so recommended from me though. Apologies for no photos, but photos will be way too deceiving. Everything LOOKED so nIce, but failed us at the taste part. Ambience: Average. Limited indoor seats, so only left with outdoor seats. Was seated beside a table with a man smoking a pipe. No issues with changing of tables for us though. Without Groupon, I doubt I'll re-visit the restaurant due to the price of the dishes and the quality of food. Same goes with Groupon, for the lack of service and still lack of quality food served.
09 Nov 2014 • 1 review • 0 follower

Avoid at all cost.

Overall
Avoid. Food quality and quantity is horrible small. Sashimi is terribly thinly sliced. Taste so so.
27 Oct 2014 • 1 review • 0 follower

Lost its touch - not so honest... maybe?

Overall
When I called in to enquire about using Groupon vouchers on a weekend, because it wasn’t stated : Reply was that It can't be used. (NOTE: He does not mention that we don't accept them now or you need to make advance booking)
 Nevertheless, we visited the outlet with a reservation (see below). And when I was making payment at the counter, (as I felt full and decided to take a short walk instead of waiting for the staff), I saw a few sheets of Groupon vouchers (1st pc: exactly the one which I wanted to purchase) beside the cash register, I asked if these coupons are being used today? Reply from cashier was positive. He even double checked with another staff, and confirmed it. Felt disappointed.     During the call, I requested to make a reservation as I still wanted to visit the place. I wasn’t being prompted if I wish to take an Indoor or Outdoor seating and I assumed that it will be indoors which will be the de-facto standard in most restaurants. Seats outdoor or bar counters will always be prompted before confirmation. Upon arrival, the staff informed that most of the indoor seats were reserved 2-3 weeks ago, and mine was short notice. I have no other comments and asked to be transferred asap. Conclusion: Honesty of staff: “You don’t ask, I won’t inform. Nothing’s wrong, you can’t fault me.” Felt disappointed x 2.   Food was good, value for money. Staff’s helpful though service was slow at times. It was a warm Saturday evening, took 10 mins to serve Ice water. And during meal, 10 mins after ordering, to serve a bowl of plain rice. Garlic rice was tasty and Beef lion  was succulent and tender. Restaurant was only 40% filled.
Visited this place some years back, ambience and environment was much better than.

Similar Listings