Daily: 16:30 - 20:00
Located on Joo Chiat Place, Eng Seng Restaurant serves Chinese cuisine.
It was a Saturday and I reached the place at 5:15pm. More than half of the tables are already filled but I fortunately found a good spot for myself and wife. I ordered a plate of Mee Goreng and 2 Pepper Crabs. The service was quite good as they took my order promptly once I'm seated.
I was pretty satisfied that the Mee Goreng came in less than 10 minutes upon ordering. The Mee Goreng is the wet type with a good mix of sotong, prawn, beansprout, green veg and egg. The Egg and Veg portion were very generous and I simply like it that there are much eggs in it. The sweet gravy was very blended well into the dish but its not overpowering or too hot.
There came the crab, almost immediately after we finished the mee goreng. The timing was perfect for us. One of the crab is perfect, the other one is flawed. Its flawed because its either that they had cooked too dry and hard or its simply the problem with the crab.
I fall in love with this pepper crab after a few mouthful. Why is that so? I seriously have never been Pepper Crab Lover.
1) The crab meat is full and do not stick to the shell.
2) The meat is still juicy. Not try at all (for that perfect crab)
3) I don't need to ask for a pincer at all. They had broke the crab perfectly to be eaten with hands only
4) The crab they used are the smaller version ones but meat is sweet and juicy. I believe that they are just very fresh crabs.
5) The Pepper gravy is really very shiok. Taste a bit pepperly initially but once I got used to the taste, I don't feel the pepper anymore.
6) There was some sweetness in the pepper and there was crumbs of crab eggs in the gravy too.
7) I really licked the crab shells dry before starting to savour the meat. I had never done this before.
Great meal. I will bring my foreign friends to this joint in future. Its not too expensive. 1kg of crab cost $38 but they are really very meaty and juicy...
I was here in s group of 6, and we shared 2 crabs (which is the minimum order), a mee goreng, veggie and pai ku wang. The food was nice. My friend even dared to order a rice before all the dishes were served and it was delivered promptly! So I suppose they are nice to some customers. Get a table near the street if you can, its very hot inside