Review for Equinox Restaurant

Address: Level 70, Swissotel The Stamford, 2 Stamford Road, 178882

+65 6884 6884
21 Apr 2013

Charming view, great appetizers

For lunch, Equinox serves up a semi-buffet with a single order of a main course flanked by both appetizers and deserts buffet.  Lunch at Equinox usually goes for S$59++ but for restaurant week a special price of S$40++ applies instead. Sweet!

Besides food, Equinox is better known for its astounding view that enables diners to glimpse beyond Singapore to the isles of Malaysia and Indonesia. We were lucky to get a table that was only a seat away from the window and was able to enjoy the magnificent view without the glare of direct sunlight upon us.

The appetizers impressed with the variety as well as freshness of the offerings. From sashimi and sushi to cold seafood and foie gras and smoked salmon, the dishes were mostly well-executed and were the highlight of our meal. In particular the foie gras pate with jelly was exceptionally delicious albeit a little too rich for me to enjoy more than a single portion. The spread of cold seafood included two types of oysters, prawns, crabs as well as mussels and clams.

On to the mains, which our server politely informed us would require 20 minutes for preparation and which we could request at any time while enjoying the appetizers. My guest had the Grilled Salmon Fillet with Herb Crushed Potatoes, Caper, Shallots and Tomato Salsa while I had the Roast Breast of Chicken with Pommes Purée and Chasseur Sauce. After the excellent appetizers, we were severely disappointed by the mains. The only praise that I could give was that both the chicken and salmon were cooked just right. However, this is underwhelmed by the sauces which were overpowering and which did not go well with the dishes at all. A rather uninspiring attempt and we would have been glad to skip the mains completely.

Deserts consisted of ice-cream, cakes, pastries, cheeses and a chocolate fondue, among other things. I especially enjoyed the chocolate fudge with caramel and mango panna cotta which looked pretty and tasted delicious.

For more photos and the full review visit https://voraciousappetite.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/equinox-swissotel-the-stamford/

foie gras, Sashimi, mango panna cotta

More reviews of Equinox Restaurant

Overall

pricey but worth the view

Equinox restaurant is located in the central business district area and can be easily accessed by the rail. It is conveniently located at the 70th level in swissotel.

The restaurant offers a range of international buffet spread but the focus is on the European/ western side.  even though much reviews have said that the standard has been dropping but I think there is still some saving factors for the dessert spread. Nicely arranged and definitely appetizing. Who wouldn’t resist to have more desserts. As what my friends always say… girls or ladies have an additional stomach for desserts. Pricey as it may be but you are paying for the view and ambience that cannot really be experienced else where.

Extremely disappointing - A sad excuse of fine dining

Since 2007, I have celebrated several special occasions at the Equinox. I have to admit that whilst my personal memories of each of those moments have endured with much joy, so has my longing for the level of quality of food and service that I experienced first at the equinox, which has dwindled over the years and seems to be fading into hotel quality, room service food which it appears to be today.

This week I went back to the restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday at the Equinox. Here is the list of things that went absolutely wrong;
 1) 4 parties ordered steak in our party of 7. The Prime Rib ordered medium was dry, 2 other plates were served medium well when asked to be served medium and mine was the epic no no of receiving a Prime Rib which was actually cold to touch but cooked to the core - although ordered to be "Hot", "Seared" and "Medium Rare". Best part was that I asked the server to take it back and do it again. Steak comes back by the person who appears to be the manager in 10min with an interesting twist; Same steak has been charred over the grill and now served to me! I ask how is this a "Hot, Seared, Medium Rare steak"... This looks like a lump of coal. He said "well you wanted it hot and seared... it is also pink in the centre". I pointed to small dot at the core of the steak which still resembled a slight colour of meat and said that is not medium rare! that is all that is left that is not black!!

The other 3 guests out of respect for the birthday girl were too polite to send theirs back. but non was at all happy with their $80++ dollar steaks

2) Service staff at Equinox seems to have been replaced by generic hotel staff or never been trained. Our servers attempt at serving Vintage champagne was exemplary when she completely missed the glass on the first attempt. This was further compounded by another service staff delighting the guests with her very fragrant personal body odour (BO) when extending her arms to clear the plates. Not what you expect at a high end restaurant.

3) Despite detailed reservation and instructions for preparation of cake, restaurant prepared a cake much too small for the number of guests. I had insisted that money is no object but wanted an appropriate size of "Black Forest Cake" for the guests. Although, they got the flavour of the cake right, the size of the cake appeared to yield only 2 spoon full per portion for 6 out of 7 guests. where I had to share with my wife (no mains for me and now no cake too).

Well... What was the restaurant reaction when I asked for the check? They decided not to charge me for lump of coal steak, not charge for failed cake taster size and graciously remove my coffee order from the bill. But still charge me for a failed dinner of $855.00 SGD.

You make your own call if you want to go to this restaurant for a special occasion.
Overall

Eye-Opening Experience of Pink Champagne Brunch Buffet with breathtaking view!

For full review and photos, please visit:

The service here is constantly good! We were lucky to be served by Flora during every visit. I feel that the food and dessert quality is slightly better during their weekday semi-lunch buffet than the Sunday brunch buffet. However, if we're to compare overall ambience + dining experience, this Sunday brunch buffet wins with the additional of complimentary dishes surprises brought to your table, there's magicians going around each table performing live magic tricks, a excellent live band, polaroid with the pink panther etc..

There were also quite many people especially guys wearing in Pink that day, so join in the fun and dress in Pink to this brunch buffet! This is truly a one-of-a-kind experience. So if you're planning to have a fun time with good food, this is definitely my recommendation!

Overall

3 course dinner for 2 (a la carte)

Great ambience, kind and wonderful staff but average food. Not complaining about the quality or quantity, but the food was less than memorable and unimaginative. Diners expect an experience, a culinary journey to be paying $300+ for 2 (sans alcohol), Equinox was disappointing.

Overall

Food Quality and Service Improved Tremendously!

For full review and photos, please visit:

Everything has improved tremendously in terms of service and food quality compared to my last visit in late 2013.  The staff will all smile and greet you politely when you enter the restaurant and there will be a staff to standby at each section to serve you. If you prefer to have main course first, do let the server know that you want to be serve main course first. Otherwise they will only prepare after you finish the appetizers from the buffet spread.

The dessert buffet used to be nice to look at but cannot make it. But now, all desserts tasted great! Main Course were high quality too! We were very satisfied with everything here except the window seats were all quite warm during daytime, I do not like the blinds to be pull down as we came here because of the great view, otherwise it's perfect!