Review for Equinox Restaurant

EuropeanInternationalWestern
theengineerchef • 26 May 2014 • 27 Reviews • 0 Follower

Great place for a great view of Singapore Skyline

For full review, please visit my blog The Engineer Chef:

We were given an amuse bouche to amuse our palate: the Salmon Tartare with Bonito Foam served in a shot glass. The Salmon Tartare made my tastebud happy. It was a cleverly concocted amuse bouche that I liked a lot. It had a mild fresh salmon taste with a sweet and smooth bonito foam. Perfect taste!

For my main course I ordered the Slow Cooked Iberico Pork Belly ($58). My friends ordered the Roasted Salmon ($60) and Tenderloin. When our dishes came, from the presentation I immediately regretted not ordering the tenderloin.   My Pork Belly was slightly poor in presentation because of the pistachio spread. It looked sloppy and gross. The pork was very tender, juicy, and succulent. However, the acid on the plate was just missing. The pork, the mushroom, the bacon dashi, the pistachio puree - all of them adds to the fat. After 2 to 3 bites, I started feeling "tired" of my dish. The pistachio puree could've been swapped with a cauliflower lime puree. Or some macerated fruits like peach or cherry could've been added to balance the whole dish.

The Roasted Salmon was pretty on the presentation. And definitely this was a more balanced dish, although another important component is missing - the sauce. Yes! The sauce! The dish had seared salmon, scallops, blanched spinach, and artichoke barigoule. But nothing blended all of them together. Thus everything became bland. Unfortunately, the salmon was slightly overcooked thus leaving it dry. Not a crowd pleaser.

The star of the night was the Tenderloin ($58). First of all, presentation was a winner. It was served on a stone topped wooden board, with three other components: our choice of dressing in a mini cassole, grilled bone marrow (really!), and grilled carrots. For the dish, we were also able to choose two sides that came in small cassole on the side. Needless to say, my friend ordered her steak medium well - I had a bite and it was so tender yet juicy I was in an awe. I would definitely come back to Equinox just for the tenderloin.

At the end of our mains, we were way to full to order desserts. Our experience at Equinox was very pleasant. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. There was never once we had to ask for our water to be refilled, which was a rare occurrence in Singapore. After the meal, he gladly took our group picture and even made us pose by the window overlooking the great scenery.    We had a good time in Equinox, and I would definitely return to eat the tenderloin.
Tenderloin
Overall
  • House bread and butter
  • Amuse bouche: Salmon tartare with bonito foam
  • Lychee belini
  • Slow cooked Iberico pork belly, mushroom salad, pistachio puree, smoked bacon dashi
  • Tenderloin
  • Roasted salmon, seared scallop, artichoke barigoule, truffle