Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa (著名结霜桥三轮车叻沙)

Summary

Food/Drink4
Laksa, Mee Siam View all
Lunch, Cheap Eat/Budget, Take Away View all

people found this review useful

Most helpful reviews for Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa

Super Duper Cheap Laksa

You want to find a bowl of Laksa for 2 bucks, How to find sia? come here and you get a nice sweet broth serve in an old school bowl. Serving size around that of what you eat at primary school. Haha, go for the 3 bucks 1 la. More worth it, I tried eating 2 bowl, 3bucks and 2 bucks 1, I cannot finish. but super shiok, I went to sneak a look at the stove to see if real charcoal anot. Wau the uncle I think reali have it sia.

Fruit Juice Mee Siam

When I was asked to check out this stall at Hong Lim Market & Food Centre that sells Fruit Juice Mee Siam, I did not hesitate as I am a junkie for unique and good hawker food. Furthermore, Hong Lim Market & Food Centre housed a lot of good hawker food and I can take the opportunity to also explore the good food there. Not knowing what to expect, I made my way down to Hong Lim Market & Food Centre on a Saturday afternoon to join a group of foodies invited by OpenRice to check out this unique Mee Siam dish.

The stall Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa is located on the second floor of Hong Lim Market & Food Centre. There are quite a few Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa stalls around the island which I think are franchised. The original stall is at Jalan Besar and it is still using charcoal to cook its laksa broth. The owner of this stall, Mr Daniel Soo has been running this stall for the past 12 years and invented the special Fruit Juice Mee Siam.

The one dish meal Fruit Juice Mee Siam are priced at $3, $4 and $6. The $6 serving comes with crayfish. In my bowl of mee siam, there were luxurious servicing of crayfish, chicken, prawn and eggs. I was totally blown off by the stall's interpretation of the spicy, sweet and sour mee siam gravy. The gravy comes with a lighter colour, smoother texture and it is less oily compared to the Malay and Nonya versions. In short it seems like a more healthy version but not compromising in taste. In fact better than the traditional mee siam.

Sungei Laksa good

Although it still doesnt match the standards of the real one in sungei road, but this stall is a run for its own.

Try it, this is one of the few laksa which is really a singaporean favour.

Good!

The laksa here is lighter and healthier, but doesn't compromise on taste or fragrance.

Eating the laksa (from $2.50) here won’t make you feel overly satiated. Why? Simply because it has a lighter—but no less flavourful—laksa gravy. The stall owner of Famous Sungei Road Trishaw Laksa likes to cook his food the healthy way. That’s why he uses a combination of coconut milk and dairy milk to cut down on cholesterol. The result? A “soupy” gravy, but one that’s still fragrant and flavourful. It’s also not too spicy. Those who prefer more kick can adjust the gravy to their own spiciness level with the potent sambal chilli!

Another item you must try is the mee siam. Made using fresh fruit juice instead of just the usual tamarind, the mee siam gravy is lusciously sweet and tangy in a distinctive way. It’s surprisingly refreshing, and leaves you hankering for more!

--Julia Khoo

Still as good as before~

Food/Drink 4 | Value 4 | Ambience N/A | Service 4

Have not been patronizing this stall since my office has shifted which I missed very much its Mee Siam especially.

I happended to pass by this place last evening and surprisingly found that the stall was still operating. Based on my previous understanding, all the food would be sold out after the lunch hour and so I asked the stall owner whom I addressed as Uncle, if he was still doing the business which he said yes. He told me nowadays he cooks one more pail of gravy for the Mee Siam to meet the demands and so sometime he will still be selling till evening.

So I ordered 2 take-away Mee Siam ($3) as I was meeting a friend for dinner elsewhere. I requested the gravy and bee hoon to be separated as I won't be eating it any sooner which Uncle happily obliged. He also told me he put his heart to prepare the food and so not surprising STP approached him to recommend his food which he proudly pointed an article to me. Haha!

Anyway, the Mee Siam is still as good as before. Sourness and Sweetness, with generous serving of gravy, eggs, prawns and some tiny fried japanese ikan bilis (to add flavour) which was very good for me. Its just one of the best Mee Siam I have tried. Even though Uncle also sells Laksa, Mee Rebus and other kinds of noodles, I like the Mee Siam best.

As there was no crowd then, Uncle who is extremely friendly, chatted with me and telling me about his plan after the place is undergoing renovation which he and his wife will be taking a good break and go around "walk walk see see" to pass time and recharge themselves and prepare for the new stall.

As the place is undergoing renovation soon after CNY, so if you like Mee Siam, you should come and try or you will have to wait for quite a while before Uncle comes back with the business.

Great Mee Siam!