Fig & Olive has closed.

Summary

Zafira Zaytoon Steak View all

NEVER AGAIN.

I visited this place for dinner. Ordered The seafood marinara pasta, the garlic chicken and another chicken dish which came with rice. (Magribi chicken or something like that)

I came in after a long day at work looking to have a good dinner with my family.

It started off well, with the 2 staff being very friendly. Then it all went downhill from there.

The rice which came with the Magribi chicken was hard and looked like it had been gone straight from the in the fridge, to the microwave. Hard, tasteless. I should've taken a photo of the rice but wasn't pissed off enogh at that time.

Seafood Marinara ($18.90) When the pasta came, it too looked like it had gone through the microwave. The tomato sauce was sitting on top of the pasta (which was overcooked). Imagine opening a can of can tomatos, pouring it out on a sieve to drain any excess liquids, and then dumping it on the pasta. 1 look, that's all it took. I took a bite, refusing to judge a book by it's cover. I wasn't wrong - Tasteless. I added salt, still - nothing.

Then I saw the prawns. Look at the photos. The prawns were not fresh, and had been overcooked. I couldn't even seperate the flesh from the shell.

I considered rejecting the dish there and then, but my wife persuaded me not to, saying it was part of a promotion. I disagreed, but left it on the table anyway.

Then towards the end of my (by now torturous) meal, the waitress brings my soup, in a bowl that .....(Refer to photo) Just look at the photo. Enough said. I said I didin't want the soup anymore, coz I was already almost through, she said, "it's ok lah, just leave it there." Ok fine..

I tell the waitress about the tasteless pasta and prawns, she gives a sympathetic look, apologizes. Then comes back later and in a somewhat sacarstic tone (I may have been sensitive about this), says, "About the pasta, actually, we have salt on the table." I nearly exploded. But I just told her, I had already added salt to the pasta, but it did not work the miracle that she expected it to.

By this time, I can't wait for my wife to be done with her meal so I can leave this piece of s*** of a restaurant. As I pay the bill, I was waiting to see if my complaints were taken seriously. The waitress had after all, replied to my complaints with a very sympathetic look and had also said ," I'm so sorry, I feel like crying." But there was no effort to salvage the situation, I was charged the full bill, including the soup which I had rejected but the waitress had said, "Just leave it there lah". Not wanting to have to stay in that place any longer than I already had, I paid, knowing I would never, ever, ever go back there.

Now here's the thing, I was so pissed I posted the photos immediately on their FB page (https://www.facebook.com/figolive), and within 10mins, my post was taken down :) So since my complaints were not being heeded by the people who run this excuse for a restaurant, I decided to write here instead.

Most helpful reviews for (Closed) Fig & Olive (Downtown East)

The Worst Food We Ever Had In Our Life

Fig & Olive restaurant. The worst food we've ever had in our life. Meat was tougher than cow hide (I didn't know meat could be that hard!). They fried the meat, chopped it up and stuck the cubes on a skewer and called it kabab. The fish was tasteless and over cooked. Burchetta was dry as a dessert rock topped with unripe chopped tomatoes (not even a drop of olive oil!). They used garlic bread and just threw on some chopped vegetables. As for the wrap, it was soggy. Probably wrapped up all the ingredients inside and heated up in the microwave (lettuce included!). The only edible thing was the mushroom soup which was most likely from a mix or can which didn't require any real cooking. $74 for 2 mains and 2 sides. No drinks included. This is a business waiting to close down.

A la carte with free soup and mashed potato

Soup and mashed potato yummy. Salad was okay. Olive rice more like nasi brani. Grilled chicken like leftover and too dry. Deep fried dory fish not fresh, overly soft flesh. Service staff not attentive. Slightly open kitchen pollute the air. Poor ventilation. Very strong deep fried smell cling onto clothing and hair after meal. Not worth a second visit even if you carry the one for one discount card.

Figs & Olive

when I was there on 20 Jan 2010 for dinner, we were the only table so serving was very prompt and efficient. Our orders, Marinara Pasta, came with a reasonable portion of pasta, grilled prawns, mussels in tomato sauce and Maghribi Chicken (grilled chicken with olive rice) was generally passable but what came to our surprise was when the bill arrived, we thought we were being uncharged at $18.71 but the server explained that there was a 1-for-1 promotion so we only had to pay for 1 main course amd get the other one free! wow and that was really nice :)

1 for 1

Went on 3/3 for birthday dinner. Quite a spread of Mediterranean selection. Value for money for 1 for 1 offer thru out the day. Super fast service, friendly staff. Enjoy it so much that we had lunch again the very next day