Reviews for Fig & Olive (Downtown East)

GreekHalalMediterraneanMiddle EasternTurkishWestern
Adrian Khiat

Quite decent food

I purchased their membership at a price of $29.90 when someone knocked our doors to sell it. With this membership card, I get to enjoy 1-for-1 maincourse deal till November. Without the membership, I may not even think of trying the food because it looks pricey for their main courses which I thought I can get from other places like Jacks Place or Swensens, where there are always promotions.

After trying for my first time, I realised that their food are quite different and I start to appreciate Mediterranean food better. There seems a lot of Olives, herbs and vegetables used in their food.

I'd tried the Zafira Zaytoon Steak and the Fish Melted Cheese. The Fish is average but the steak is good. The Shirloin was cooked with herbs to a medium well state. You can virtually see the herbs sticking to the beef and taste it with every mouthful. The generous amount of Olives used in the dish with the baked potatoes and fresh greens make this dish really mouth watering.

Fig & Olive must do something to market themselves if they have good food. They should have more promotions to market the young professionals and families instead of students.

I have to minus points for their service, they forgot to serve me the drinks despite that the resturant was almost empty and I couldn't find anyone in sight to ask for bill after my meal even when the resturant is so open. They also never asked me on the wellness of the steak I prefer.

With the 1-for-1, I spent only $23 for 2 person. Without that, it will probably cost me $45.
10 Dec 2013 • 1 review • 0 follower

The Worst Food We Ever Had In Our Life

Fig & Olive restaurant. The worst food we've ever had in our life. Meat was tougher than cow hide (I didn't know meat could be that hard!). They fried the meat, chopped it up and stuck the cubes on a skewer and called it kabab. The fish was tasteless and over cooked. Burchetta was dry as a dessert rock topped with unripe chopped tomatoes (not even a drop of olive oil!). They used garlic bread and just threw on some chopped vegetables. As for the wrap, it was soggy. Probably wrapped up all the ingredients inside and heated up in the microwave (lettuce included!). The only edible thing was the mushroom soup which was most likely from a mix or can which didn't require any real cooking. $74 for 2 mains and 2 sides. No drinks included. This is a business waiting to close down.
A disgusting bowl..This shows that this restaurant is helmed by people who have VERY low standards.
05 Apr 2013 • 1 review • 0 follower

NEVER AGAIN.

I visited this place for dinner. Ordered The seafood marinara pasta, the garlic chicken and another chicken dish which came with rice. (Magribi chicken or something like that)

I came in after a long day at work looking to have a good dinner with my family.

It started off well, with the 2 staff being very friendly. Then it all went downhill from there.

The rice which came with the Magribi chicken was hard and looked like it had been gone straight from the in the fridge, to the microwave. Hard, tasteless. I should've taken a photo of the rice but wasn't pissed off enogh at that time.

Seafood Marinara ($18.90) When the pasta came, it too looked like it had gone through the microwave. The tomato sauce was sitting on top of the pasta (which was overcooked). Imagine opening a can of can tomatos, pouring it out on a sieve to drain any excess liquids, and then dumping it on the pasta. 1 look, that's all it took. I took a bite, refusing to judge a book by it's cover. I wasn't wrong - Tasteless. I added salt, still - nothing.

Then I saw the prawns. Look at the photos. The prawns were not fresh, and had been overcooked. I couldn't even seperate the flesh from the shell.

I considered rejecting the dish there and then, but my wife persuaded me not to, saying it was part of a promotion. I disagreed, but left it on the table anyway.

Then towards the end of my (by now torturous) meal, the waitress brings my soup, in a bowl that .....(Refer to photo) Just look at the photo. Enough said. I said I didin't want the soup anymore, coz I was already almost through, she said, "it's ok lah, just leave it there." Ok fine..

I tell the waitress about the tasteless pasta and prawns, she gives a sympathetic look, apologizes. Then comes back later and in a somewhat sacarstic tone (I may have been sensitive about this), says, "About the pasta, actually, we have salt on the table." I nearly exploded. But I just told her, I had already added salt to the pasta, but it did not work the miracle that she expected it to.

By this time, I can't wait for my wife to be done with her meal so I can leave this piece of s*** of a restaurant. As I pay the bill, I was waiting to see if my complaints were taken seriously. The waitress had after all, replied to my complaints with a very sympathetic look and had also said ," I'm so sorry, I feel like crying." But there was no effort to salvage the situation, I was charged the full bill, including the soup which I had rejected but the waitress had said, "Just leave it there lah". Not wanting to have to stay in that place any longer than I already had, I paid, knowing I would never, ever, ever go back there.

Now here's the thing, I was so pissed I posted the photos immediately on their FB page (https://www.facebook.com/figolive), and within 10mins, my post was taken down :) So since my complaints were not being heeded by the people who run this excuse for a restaurant, I decided to write here instead.

02 May 2012 • 1 review • 0 follower

Fig & Olive (Downtown East)

Peace be upon you..

My family dropped by for lunch yesterday & we were overwhelmed by the crowd. Irregardless, we were seated & our orders were promptly served. While we were enjoying our meal, one of the female staff started screaming loudly. We honestly felt like leaving the diner.

I seriously will reconsider coming back.

Wasalam