Back to Flavours At Zhongshan ParkLevel 1, Ramada Singapore, 16 Ah...

Kueh pie tee4 votes
Beef cheek rendang3 votes

pickledpeas
 • 20 May 2014 137 reviews 6 followers
Overall
See the full review with pictures here.

Flavours at Zhong Shan Park is inside the Ramada Hotel, and is a peranakan restaurant that is more popular for its weekend buffets (it was practically deserted when we went), but I suppose the chefs still have to come to prepare the guest’s room service orders. The hotel is set in a very peaceful park that is home to two majestic banyan trees, perfect for an after dinner stroll. There’re several water features in the park, and also other eating establishments which can be a bit pricey, as this place would be but UOB cards get a 15% discount.

We ordered the satay rojak, which was cut up pieces of satay over cucumber slices and ketupat doused in a peanut sauce. There wasn’t much of this, I would have preferred more. The meat was tender and well marinated though.

Kueh Pie Tee is probably the thing I love most in all of Peranakan cuisine. To tell the truth the filling is basically the same as spring roll filling, perhaps a little sweeter, with more haebee and more zhap? You add prawns and crumbled boiled egg, parsley, and some garlic chilli sauce to top it off and it is so good. Not as good as the Ellenborough Market Cafe one though in that this filling is not as moist. The shells are wonderfully crisp.

This was an extremely lightly coloured penang char kway teow. Had a good wok hei, and it came before the rendang and the chilli slipper lobster, which would have made its flavours a bit more muted.

The rendang was not bad, marbled with fats which I didn’t like but if that’s your thing you’ll love this.

We also ordered the slipper Lobster in a chilli crab sauce. So the sauce is totally not really chilli crab sauce – slightly more sour, like an ang moh chef is cooking this or something. It’s still nice with the mantou though.

XY and I shared a durian pengat for dessert – the one at the Ellenborough Market Cafe is still better; they seem to add some extraneous ingredients to this one, like gula melaka and coconut cream. Seriously? The pandan leaf is a dramatic touch though.

All in all, probably coming for the buffet is more worth it. I think we spent smth like $120-140 here (can’t remember exactly) for dinner for the 3 of us. The portions are quite manageable (obviously we ordered a lot) so you can try a lot of different things.

DreamLove Eat
 • 09 Feb 2014 50 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Read my full review with more pictures at

The restaurant is quite spacious. The service staff was friendly and efficient. The buffet spread is peranakan style. I was a bit skeptical. Luckily, they do have the international cuisine such as cold prawns, cold crab, salmon sashimi, and sushi as well. The cold prawns are very fresh and the sashimi is also cut in thick slices.

Must tries: Roasted Beef

Buffet

SG Food on Foot
 • 01 Feb 2014 205 reviews 18 followers
Overall
Full review and photos, click HERE

With a new Executive Chef Melvin Lim on board and a bigger selection of Straits Chinese delights, I looked forward to my second visit to Flavours at Zhongshan Park since I last dine here back in July 2013. The new menu consists of a larger selection of Straits Chinese cuisine while maintaining a carefully selected mix of international and western favourites, providing customers with more dining options.

Not to be missed is the condiments freshly prepared by the kitchen at Flavours. The different chilli sauces were so good that we actually suggested to the restaurant to sell them.

Whetting the appetite, we started with a hearty hot piping Clear Oriental Oxtail Soup ($13.90) of slow cooked oxtail infused with herbs and spices.

I still remembered how tender the Braised Beef Cheek Rendang ($24.90) was when I tried it the last time. Once again the beef cheek rendang did not disappoint me. Cooked in a homemade spice paste with lemongrass infusion, the premium beef cheek cut simply melted in the mouth.

Looks the the chef has made some changes to the menu. Previously the tiger prawn was cooked in a chilli crab type gravy but now it is done in a tamarind gravy with pineapple and ginger bud. The new version of Tarmarind Prawn was just as good. It has a more refreshing and fruity finish. If the prawns have been more crunchy it would have been perfect.