Back to Flavours At Zhongshan ParkLevel 1, Ramada Singapore, 16 Ah...

Kueh pie tee4 votes
Beef cheek rendang3 votes

caniggia
 • 06 Jul 2013 213 reviews 28 followers
Overall
For full review & pics, visit here

Kudos to the kind folks from Hungrygowhere, for inviting me to this food review session.

Situated in a hidden historical corner off the main buzz of Balestier Road, the road name is no stranger for savvy motorists & elders who witnessed the nation’s independence.

A glance at the menu suggests that it prides itself to offer some of the better known Malayan Straits Chinese (aka Nonya) cuisines, and offers a small selection of continental foods for the less adventurous foreigners.

Curry Leaf Mojito *courtesy of Heritage Lounge
The zesty flavor of the lime juice & sprite is naturally lemony sweet, the ginger ale packs a little prick to the taste, while the crushed curry leaves gives a lingering spicy aroma.

Kueh Pie tie (pronounced; kway-pai-tee)
The consistency to the juicy crunch for the pork belly braised turnip was quite impressive, and the cracker crunch in the crust is evident that it is prepared ala-minute.

Pork & cucumber salad
The pork confit is nicely done, tossed in shredded cucumber, shallots & sambal belachan. The spice & seasoning do not overbear the natural flavors of the composition, neatly balanced I’d say.

Cucumint freeze *courtesy of Heritage Lounge
This ice slush concoction is an instant hit for me. I have good reason to believe this will be an all time favorite for continental guests as well, for it works well to beat the heat & humidity of our tropical climate.

Nonya Ayam Buah Keluak
A signature dish for the peranakan people, but please manage your expectations as the slight modification to the composition, as is catered for foreigners to better adapt towards the dish.

Nonya Beef Rendang
The Nonya style has a tangy flavor to it, in lieu of lemongrass & tamarind. The choice cut of meat is also rather unique, because beef cheeks is a lot more juicy & tender compared to other commonly used shin or loins.

Chilli King Prawns “Singaporean Style”
Who would not have heard about the Singpaorean Signature Dish- Chilli Crab? I’d say they are fresh sea catches, because the meat is naturally sweet & doesn’t flake away.

Durian Pengat with Pandan Jelly
The pandan jelly on top is light & fragrant, so it works well with the puréed durian, because durian is strong scented & naturally sweet. You may also request for post meal coffee or tea to be served alongside this dessert, because you wouldn’t need sugar for your hot beverage, given the full flavored sweetness.

The ambience & services rendered was hospitable and not overdone. The waiting crew paced their attention well so we could have our peace to enjoy the food, plates were replaced & iced water was topped up very timely.

Must tries: Pork & cucumber salad, Nonya Beef Rendang, Chilli King Prawns “Singaporean Style”, Kueh pie tee

After Work, Ala Carte, Boys Night Out, Breakfast, Brunch, Business Breakfast, Business Dining, Children/Family, Chillout, Dinner, Girls Night Out, Hidden Find, High Tea, Lunch, Night Out, Quiet, Relaxed, Wheelchair Friendly

Weighty Man
 • 01 Jul 2013 691 reviews 79 followers
Overall
This restaurants opens at the new Ramada hotel at Jalan Ah Hood (off Balestier road) and serves a mixed variety of asian dishes.

We had an opportunity to try out some dishes during the restaurant organised food tasting event.

Food:  We started off with some mocktails  the unique drink was a mocktail made with curry leaves, sprite, lemon juice.  Interesting but too sweet for my liking.  I prefer a drink with more fruit flavour.  The curry leaves add an interesting touch to the drink.

I must highlight the following dishes:  their kueh pie tee is one of the best I've eaten,  full flavoured and great presentation.  After this we were served a cucumber laced with three layered pork strips,  good balance of pork and tangy cucumber specially served with "chin cha lok" - the Malaccan preserved baby shrimps.  Unique taste.

For mains,  we shared four clay pots of:  a)  ayam buah keluak  chicken,  tasty and with enough nuts for 4 persons,  sauce is not overly spicey but retains the unique buah keluak taste.  Good to share  with 2 not so hungry persons;  b)  the nonya beef rendang - wow,  they use beef cheeks here for the beef,  special tasting and its got the cheek tendon that makes it a special dish.  c)  the slipper lobster fried with pepper - tasty but the serving could be larger and finally my favourite dish d)  the large prawns in a garlic-tomato sauce, so tasty it makes you want to lick the sauce off the claypot,  which I didn't do of course - decorum !

For dessert we tried two,  the durian pengat with gula melaka,  and the chendol.  Order the durian pengat instead of the chendol to finish off a satisfying meal.

Value:  Got to see the menu and prices for each dish were on the high side but they are large portions, so chose to share a main claypot dish with two instead of ordering one each pax.

Service:  Pleasant,  quick to top up water,  clearing dishes unobstrusively.  Good well trained staff.

Ambience:  Lovely setting, comfortable tables and chairs,  a place to stay hidden.

Must tries: Prawn curry (chilli crab style), Ayam buah keluak, Kueh pie tee, Cucumber salad with three layered pork, Durian pengat, Beef cheek rendang

After Work, Ala Carte, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Business Dining

stephanie tang 238
 • 18 Jun 2013 5 reviews 20 followers
Overall
Visited the restaurant during their opening period. Service was excellent, staff was very attentive. However the only down part was that the serving timing was a little slow, perhaps due to the heavy traffic during lunch time.

I enjoyed the ayam buah keluak best, I could finish whole plate of rice just with it. Got the hazelnut softshell crab salad as starters, the sauces that comes with it was special and very unique. My partner ordered the nasi goreng and it was a very generous portion, and the wings are delicious and cripsy.

Need to try their specially created mocktails as well - my recommendation is the curry leave mojito, sounds weird as first but taste refreshing and i didnt regret ordering it.

Would like to go there again with my family or colleages so we can order more dishes to share.

After Work, Anniversary, Birthdays, Business Dining, Children/Family, Corporate Events, Formal Events, Lunch, Nice Deco, Quiet, View/Scenery, Wine Lists
  • Hazelnut Softshell Crab