Summary

Ice cream Kati, Pad Thai Goong, Drumlets, Folk Wings, Roasted Duck & Lychee Red Curry, Grilled Pork Neck + Dried Chilli Dip, Mango salad with soft shell crab, Tom Yam Potaek, Fried Chicken Skin, Grilled pork neck salad, Lemongrass + Honey, Siam Spaghetti, Thai Basil Stir-Fry, Vegetarian samosas, sun dried pork View all
After Work, Ala Carte, Dinner, Chillout, Nice Deco, Large Groups, Lunch, Relaxed View all

Thai food!

Came for dinner on a weekend night, pretty quiet. Food was decent overall and service was good though that could be because no one else was around. Tom Yam was just right and not too sour. The good thing is each dish doesn't cost a lot.

Ice water is not free.

Try their Folk Wings, Pad Thai, Tom Yam Potaek and Ice Cream Kati

Most helpful reviews for Folks Collective

Caramelised Tapioca was awesome

Although the dishes weren't exactly remarkable or fantastic, I really love how the meal strikingly resembles one we have at home with our families, especially since I have not had a proper home-cooked meal for the three months while I was away. It was the simplicity these dishes exhibit that differentiated them from all the rest. The Caramelized Tapioca we were recommended by the waiting staff to get was also mind-blowingly good. The syrup-glazed tapioca was exquisitely sweet (but not too much), and when drizzled with salted coconut cream, it was simply heavenly.

Full review with pictures:

Roasted Duck & Lychee Red Curry!

My husband and I always crave for Thai food from time to time. We ventured into this place under the recommendation of my younger brother. We ordered based on the list of must-try food. We had Pad Thai Gong and Roasted Duck & Lychee Red Curry.

My husband preferred the Pad Thai Gong. Although it was also good enough for me, I think it could be better with more "wokhei".

But the Roasted Duck & Lychee Red Curry was another thing. It was creamy, sweet, tangy, salty, spicy all at the same time at the right amount. I absolutely love it. Inside you can find the chewy light-salty roasted duck meat (i love duck skin), cherry tomatoes, pineapple bits (i wish it could be chunk) and 3 big lychee. I also wish the dish could be bigger portion. It came in piping hot, but because it was wet, cold and air-conditioned, the dish turned cold too soon for me. By the way, my husband didn't like it. He thinks the duck taste funny and the coconut cream will do his cholesterol level in.

We ended our evening with another recommended one - Ice Cream Kati to share. We both love this. In my opinion, this place is Thai food cater for Caucasians. Given the look of this restaurant and it's location, we had expected the food to be pricey and portion small. But, we weren't disappointed with the food quality. Great ambience, great food, and yes, horrible service....sadly.

So So Food, Horrible Service

Food is average. Thai express is much better but a lot of people go there for the happy hour. Been there multiple times because my friends like the happy hour but no matter how many times I've been there, the service experience is terrible.
Waitresses have a hard time with taking the orders sometimes and average wait for drinks is 20-30 mins, perhaps longer if they are crowded and 30-45mins for food, even sides.
Waiteesses get snappy with you if you ask about your order more than 3 times. If they were more efficient

Horrible salad experience

1. Firstly, 3 orders (pad thai, pad see eiw, chicken salad) were served really slowly. We had to remind them twice.
 2. My "chicken salad" has no vegetables. Oh yeah, if chili is a vegetable, but it's not a common salad ingredient is it? It was so spicy that even I, who can tolerate spicy Indian or Malay food, cannot take it.
 3. The only good thing is we got our water really fast. Yeah, because I needed it to soothe my throat.
 Overall, please don't order their salad! Everything else tastes nice, especially the chicken drumsticks.

Best Boutique Thai Food & Value

Nestled amidst the financial capitals around Market Street, I misjudged this place to be yet another posh-ly decorated overpriced and reheated food serving establishment. Just opposite the pricey Platypus Lobster shack, Folks Collective is the most memorable Thai restaurant I've been to so far that serves good comforting food, even drinks and had an ambience like no other at a very very reasonable price.

The best part entering the restaurant was seeing so many actual Thai people welcoming you. It didn't employ locals or other foreigners faking a "Sawadeekap" like how Thai Express does. The entire place carried this old-worldy charm and tables seemed neat and despite its small size, was very cosy. Design-wise, it was great - although it didn't feel like stepping into Thailand as much as stepping into Beer Thai did. Nevertheless, the kind and courteous waitresses and the Thai accent kicked me deep into Thailand more than i could have wished for.

Food quality is argueable. If you would compare some of the best Thai places in Singapore versus this - there is some room for improvement. However, that boils down to the level of not being authentic Thai enough like how a Filipino would compare the original taste of a Jollibee burger in Philippines to the one here. It's noticeable, but not as lacking as Thai Express or Bali Thai. With these waitresses, you can feel that love and that homely feel that compliments the taste in the food.

Stuff that you couldn't find anywhere else were definitely some of the wins here. Fried chicken skin - a must have for starters. The Tom Yum Clear Seafood Soup is also enriched with sufficient prawns and oyster mushrooms and more importantly balances suicide spice of the original Thai soup to a healthy working level.

I didn't' go for a complete Thai dinner everytime i stepped in. To me, a basil chicken rice with egg is my ratatouille. Simple yet so decadently pleasing. I was amazed by the portion offered in that. There is enough chicken for 2 if you decide to order more stuff to share. The Pad Thai is also well balanced. No pretentious lack of oil, it stays true to the real stuff.

Drinks include the Lemongrass with honey, especially useful for days when I'm feeling under the weather. Iced Milk Tea is another favourite. Both are not rendered in sugar like the other franchise Thai outlets. Just lovely.

Perhaps the best part of this place is receiving the bill. Most post-work dinners always cost me quite a bit with me and my partner. Here however, after a really good dinner, we are always surprised by how low it costs. The location where its at doesn't make sense either.

Really a gem of a place, under-reviewed and under-visited. I do like it that way. It has become my favourite weekly post-work haunt. Great to wind down and be well taken care of.