Summary

Service3
Full Works, Pancakes, Red Velvet Cake, Apple Crumble with Berries, Banana walnut pancakes, Breakfast menu, Pork Ribs, Seafood Risotto, hot chocolate, Basil Almond Pesto Chicken Sandwich, Berry pancakes, Chai Spice Brulee Salmon, Cheese cake, Chocolate Pancakes with dark cherries and chocolate chunks, Desserts, Garlic Prawns with Coriander Linguine, Garlic prawn and capsicum linguine, Iced water, Pasta, Potato Gratin with Garlic Mushroom, Rich Dark Chocolate Cake, Scones, Steak, anything from the brunch menu, beef salad, chicken pesto linguine, crispy curry chicken and spicy chilli fries, peanut butter jelly pudding (yum!), toasted brioche, tofu salad, warm chocolate cake, washabi salad View all
Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Chillout, Children/Family, Girls Night Out, Hidden Find, Quiet, Large Groups/Gathering, After Work, Vibrant/Noisy, High Tea, People Watching, Romance/First Dates, Boys Night Out, Healthy Eating, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Cheap Eat/Budget, Business Breakfast View all

Good food but way too overpriced!

I've always been a fan of Food For Thought. I often visit the outlet at National Museum. This time i decided to try something different and visit the outlet near Singapore Art Museum! For more photos and details visit http://doriateo.blogspot.sg/2014/11/food-for-thought-queen-street.html

I was a bit dissapointed with the pricing here at the SAM outlet. I ordered their burgers, which was something new on their menu (you can't find this at the National Museum outlet). I had their pulled pork burger.

The pulled pork was marinated with BBQ sauce. That were some fried sweet potato bits in my burger so i thought that was an interesting twist. There was a good serving of vegetables in my burger. It was a good burger and definitely something for the health conscious.

However, it was way too overpriced. It was just $9 for a burger. No sides, no nothing, no whatever. And it was probably the size of a mcdonalds burger? I didn't feel satisfied after eating it.

That being said, the burger was decent enough. But because i personally thought it was too overpriced, i won't be getting this again. I'll probably stick to my full works breakfast instead.

The only good thing about this place was that there's no gst/service charge. Everything is self help though, which honestly i don't really mind.

Most helpful reviews for Food For Thought (Queen Street)

Lousy experience

We ordered 3 slices of cake and 1 of it was the rainbow cake.  It had turned bad and they are still selling it without noticing it!

The staff are not showing any kind of initiative - the restuarant are in a glass house.  In the mid afternoon, it has the "green house effect"!  It's warm and stuffy and guess what??!!!  The staff were using the fan for their own instead of the customers!

I would suggest going to Dome (which is nearby) instead of this place if you are visiting SAM!

Bad service and humid condition!

Food in general I would say is Ok but not great, price acceptable but some dishes' pricing could be lower. Now comes the main parts that I'm not pleased with which is their service and the cafe condition.
 Firstly is on the cafe condition, I do not know whether the cafe air-conditioner is spoiled or something, but since there were many fans around, I assumed it is not working. Due to the hot weather, all of us felt quite humid inside the cafe, therefore if it is a standard cafe pricing, this portion has failed one of the basic expectations.
 Putting the spoiled air-conditioner aside, since there were fans around, I thought it was still a decent solution to minimize the humidity inside, sadly the fan isn't strong enough to cover all areas. Now comes the service part, I asked one of the stuffs to adjust the fan direction towards us because the humidity level is making us uncomfortable while having our lunch, the joke is he told me that the fan power cable is not long enough and then just walked away, what the heck does this kind of reply supposed to mean? Your cafe condition is already not pleasing and now your staff giving me such rubbish reply, what's next made me even more pissed off is on clearing the empty plates; you should know your table is not that HUGE that we can put so many dishes/plates on it at the same time, it was a ridicules scene when one of your female staffs brought over a new dish to us, instead of clearing away the empty plate that my friend had finished, she just stood there and wait for my friend to take the new dish from her, best part? she just walked away without clearing the used plate and I have to put the used plate at the other table so that my friend has sufficient space to put the new dish.

I'm not sure what message does 'Food For Thought' trying to transmit to their customers but from what I see here is a 'High-class' kopitiam / Hawker. I have about 8 years of experiences in F&B industry, while I understand the job is tough to meet different customers' expectation, these basic services had failed badly. To improve on it is up to your business owners to manage as the fact that this cafe has establish a decent reputation in the market, however nowadays such cafes concept are so commonly seen around and also providing decent food quality and pricing, sustaining a business is no longer not that straight forward as in the past.

Simple Comfort Food

Here are some of the food tried: for more details visit http://dairycream.blogspot.sg/2012/10/food-for-thought.html

Pumpkin Cream Soup

Natural sweetness and thick in taste. Not too much cream added and a slight grainy texture gives a kind of rustic feel to this simple dish

Hoi Sin Marinated Baby Back Ribs With potato cheese gratin

Look at that long slab of meat, flavoursome but not too salty. Meat is tender with bits of fats. Good for sharing even btw 3 person. Salad is same as the cheese toast but lacks dressing

Butterscotch apple crumble with vanilla ice cream and sautéed cherries and berries (good for 2)

Ice cream came like a big snowball. Crumble is average and is more cakey lumpy rather than buttery or crunchy. Prefer apple slices to apple chunks and a pity only to have tasted the butterscotch sauce at the very end as it was buried at the base.

They have everything I like

Full post at http://takeko.blogspot.com/2012/03/food-review-food-for-thought-lunch-at-8.html

Because sharing is caring, it's time to shine the spotlight on Food for Thought near Bras Basah MRT and the Singapore Art Museum for the good food that it offers. It is already very packed most days, but Singaporeans are talented at finding these places like bee to a honey.

Their decor is also very chic and they have an incredibly high ceiling. I like how they suspend bottles and potted plants upside down as hanging decorations.

The reason why this place is very good is because it offers EVERYTHING that I like in a cafe. It has brunch, lunch, dinner, snacks, coffee and desserts. I used to frequent their original and much smaller branch near Cityhall MRT last time after yoga, but that place suffers from a serious ventilation problem. This one however, is quite well-ventilated, there's only a slight food smell.

So one day we decided to go there for lunch after finding out that Le Cuisson behind Bugis was closed (#$)#$(@)#!). So we WALKED there and it felt like a thousand miles long. But we made it. And they are open for lunch. We were famished!

Karen decided to order the Full Works ($18). I've had this before on a separate occasion. It's really really satisfying and a huge meal. I could wolf it down though if it's for brunch. They must have used.. 4 eggs in there to make the scrambled eggs. Those tater tots are so cute, and there's brioche served with it, which Josie really liked.

Josie ordered what I think is the Creamy Beef Striploin Linguine ($17). They used pumpkin as well with the beef, which was really good, but the overall sauce was too "gelak" and thick for Josie's taste. It got a bit too much halfway through, so I would not recommend this dish unless you are a huge fan of cream.

What me and another colleague ordered was the Basil Almond Pesto Chicken Linguine ($14). Josie thinks there is a bit too much basil inside, but for me I like it rather 'herby' so it was to my liking. The herbs mixed with olive oil also makes the dish very easy to consume, and the tomatoes and chicken is very fresh. There is however eggplant inside which I don't really eat.

Lastly, we wanted to have DESSERTS but everyone was just too full to put anything into their stomachs. I've done a post previously on their desserts: click to read it here!

The bottle love

My eyes

fixed themselves to the layered waves of bottles hanging over the counter.

There and then, I fell in love. Beautiful interiors, clear glass windows and a

display stage of old school items.

I just

wished the food was a tad bit more exciting given its fresh young concept.

At the end

of some heavy mind debate, I settled for the basic works – scrambled eggs,

bacon and toasted brioche with a top up of garlic mushrooms. All was mediocre

albeit for the toasted brioche which was rather mind boggling given that it’s

rich flavors associated it with a slice of toasted pound cake after being

pressed on the grill. Lovely.

Probably a

place more suited for small gatherings (lovely on the communal benches towards

the back of the restaurant) and tea time treats (try their carrot cake and red

velvet cake) in my honest opinion.