Summary

Avocado juice with Vanilla ice cream; Black Glutinous Rice with homemade Coconut and Deep fried swee, Char Siew Pastry, Crispy Filo Swan filled with Foie Gras, Double boiled soup with sea whelk in whole young coconut, Fried Rice with crabmeat, Golden fried Sea Perch and Avocado, Golden ‘Nian Gao’ with Sweet Potato and Yam Chilled Lemongrass Jelly with Aloe Vera and Jack Fruit, Jumbo Fortune Monkey Yu Sheng, Mango Pudding, Steamed Soup in Whole Coconut, Steamed Vegetable Dumpling & Steamed Scallop and Prawn Dumpling with braised sauce, Steamed crabmeat and minced shrimp dumpling in egg white souffle & Golden-fried duck with portugese, Suckling Pig, Teriyaki Cod Fish with stir fried vegetables with a red wine sauce, braised egg noodle with lobster, carrots and cauliflower stem with char siew, chilled cream of avocado with vanilla ice cream View all
Dinner, Business Dining, Lunch, Fine Dining, Private Dining, Children/Family, Large Groups/Gathering, Quiet, Corporate Events, Romance/First Dates, Brunch View all

Impressive

Food/Drink 5 | Value N/A | Ambience 4 | Service 5

I've dined here once before a while ago, and was lucky to have the chance to come again for a business CNY celebratory lunch. We had the obligatory Yu Sheng as well as a massive 10 course feast. The Yu Sheng was the best one I've ever had, more different flavours in there including orange rind/peel. The quick succession of dishes that followed seem to now blend together in my mind but all of them were pleasurable. There was some roasted chicken, a prawn, steamed fish, double boiled pumpkin soup, oyster/sea cucumber. Overall a very pleasant experience I would recommend here for high-end chinese dining and very good service too (particularly attentive to my food allergies).

Most helpful reviews for Golden Peony

Enjoyable & High Quality Cantonese Cuisine!

For full review and photos, please visit:

Golden Peony is a famous cantonese restaurant with high quality food. The service here was good as well. They served premium food here hence the prices are slightly on the higher side, but you can get a better quality and enjoyable food. I noticed the guests here were mostly older age type so Golden peony will be a good place to bring your dad and mum or the whole family here for a delightful and sumptuous meal!

Note: The aircon here was really cold. Please bring along a jacket, shawl or thicker clothes along.

CNY 2016 - Welcoming The Year of the Monkey

Food/Drink 4 | Value 4 | Ambience 4 | Service N/A

[MEDIA INVITE] Full review available here.

Chinese New Year is just around the corner, in welcoming the year of the Monkey, Chef Ku Keung, from Golden Peony ('GP') has prepared stunning spread to welcome the year of the Monkey.

We started with this year theme creation for Fortune Monkey Yu Sheng. Fortune Yu Sheng with Abalone, Hiramasa and Crispy Fish Skin. (风生水起; 嘻啦玛莎,鲍鱼, 金黄鱼皮金猴捞起). The one we had was the jumbo version, priced at the auspicious $888, which can feed between 30 to 40 pax. Something to consider if you are having a company CNY meal in Golden Peony.

Main ingredients include Harimasa, also known yellowtail amberjack, which have firm, silky texture and rich in flavour; Fresh and crunchy Abalone; Crispy fish skin coated with salted egg to add to the normal golden pillow. The sweet sauce was delicate to ensure that everyone can enjoy the Yu Sheng to the last bite without being overwhelmed.

Of course, there is a smaller version of Yu Sheng available. Price starting from $68 for small (2 to 5 pax) and $128 for large (6 to 10 pax).

The elegance of dining in Golden Peony continued with Crispy Filo Swan filled with Foie Gras, Truffle and Minced Chicken. (天降横财 – 松露天鹅酥). An upgrade to the normal dim sum dish. Shaped in the form of the swan, it has a light buttery pastry that melts in your mouth. I personally like the rich velvety texture of the foie gras, which combine well with the minced chicken. The portion of the truffle slices are very generous as well. For me, one piece of this will not be enough.

I also sampled Canadian Sea Perch Roll with Lobster, Minced Shrimp and Fish Roe in Spinach Purée (财源滚滚 - 菠菜汁龙珠球) and Braised Abalone with ‘Monkey Head’ Mushroom, Fish Maw and Black Moss. (金猴献瑞 – 红焖发财鲍鱼猴头菇花胶). The review is available here.

Roast Suckling Pig stuffed with Hainanese Chicken Rice (鸿运当头 – 沙皮海南鸡乳猪). The main attraction of this year CNY dinner at GP. The piggy is stuffed with one of Singapore iconic dish, Hainanese Chicken Rice. I like the crispy skin on the pig which has minimum amount of pig. The chicken rice is a little bit mushy, while the chicken thigh used to roll the rice is succulent. Each slices of the sucking pig is served with chilli sauce, sweet suckling pig sauce and mashed ginger.

For desserts, Golden ‘Nian Gao’ with Sweet Potato and Yam Chilled Lemongrass Jelly with Aloe Vera and Jack Fruit in Sour Plum Juice. (阖家团圆 – 金薯芋头年糕拼菠萝蜜话梅芦荟冻). The chilled dessert is just refreshing, especially with the infusion of sour plum juice. Meanwhile the nian gao is sandwiched between sweet potato and yam provided a nostalgic feel of the CNY.

Overall, it was a very good all round dining experience in Golden Peony. Chef Ku Keung did well to balance the use of traditional dishes and also being innovative at the same time. Definitely a place to consider for this year CNY meal. Cheers!!

Thank you very much to Conrad Centennial Singapore for the tasting invitation.

Great Chinese Food at Golden Peony – Conrad Centennial Hotel

It has been some time since I last visited Golden Peony. I came by the restaurant recently for a business lunch. The restaurant is located on the third floow of Conrad Centennial Hotel, which is located just opposite Suntec City – Convention Hall.

Here are the highlights of my meal:

- Appetiser: Pickled Vegetables with diced capsicum, black fungus and fried beancurd. Within this dish, I loved the fried beancurd bits, which is good.

- Trio of Dimsum: Char Siew Pastry, Steamed Vegetable Dumpling and Steamed Scallop and Prawn Dumpling with braised sauce. Great presentation, as all is presented on a long plate. The char siew pastry is small and delicate. The scallop was fresh and below it is the prawn and meat dumpling. It’s drizzled in a starchy sauce which had a taste of superior stock. The vegetable dumpling was also good.

- Steamed Soup in Whole Coconut. Soup had fish maw, dried scallop, fresh prawn, fresh scallop and mini abalone. This was the highlight of the meal. The soup is light and nourishing. I think ladies will love this soup. The seafood ingredients were also fresh and delicious.

- Teriyaki Cod Fish, stir-fried celery, macadamia nuts, black fungus in crispy shell with a red wine sauce. The cod fish is well marinated and flavourful thanks to the teriyaki sauce. The stir fried vegetables on the side were also nice. I didn’t really like the red wine sauce which had a heady wine aroma when it was presented to the table, but I didn’t like the taste.

- Fried Rice with crabmeat, carrots and cauliflower stem with char siew. This was nicely presented on a nice long oval plate. The fried rice had good ‘wok hei’ (breath of the fiery wok) and what’s unique was the diced cauliflower bits in the fried rice. The fried rice is good. The char siew was made in-house had some fatty layers. It was not bad.

Just before serving dessert, we were served calamansi juice ina dainty glass flute. This help to cleanse the palate prior to having dessert.

- Dessert: Avocado juice with Vanilla ice cream; Black Glutinous Rice with homemade Coconut and Deep fried sweet potato pastry. Great presentation, with the avocado juice and black glutinous rice presented in a nice cups. You can hold the cups and use the spoon to dig in or drink down the dessert.

The avocado is nice and refreshing. Its light and smooth, and the texture is not thick unlike avocado smoothie. The vanilla ice cream is a nice touch and its nice!

The restaurant used coconut ice cream to complement the black glutinous rice which is a nice touch.

The deep fried sweet potato pastry was about the size of a ping pong ball. The skin was multi-layered and the inside was sweet and smooth. I could have eaten more if I could.

The restaurant is perfect for business lunch, with good and attentive service provided by the staff, who change cutlery with every course and top up your Chinese tea without prompting.

The food quality is good and I enjoyed my meal here.

Recommended!

Lack of efforts (or rather lack of heart) placed on the food

It was a disappointing dining experience for us in Golden Peony on 30 July 2014. Both my wife & me were very much looking forward to bring one of our closest friends here together with his family, for celebrating his birthday. As Conrad is a world class hotel & Golden Peony a multi awards winning restaurant, I felt this should be the right selection, as I am very particular when bringing my guests to eat with us. Not so much on the venue, but the quality of the food taste. At the start, It was great as I made my reservation with Jenny and her service was good! As we reached the restaurant, we were also greeted by her and brought us to the table which was arranged for us. Without prompting, she allocated 2 stands for us to put our stuff! Along the way from entrance, multi awards even dated last year were presented very nicely. The menu indicating our chosen package was very nicely decorated, even the tables, chairs, cutlery are of high quality. The art pieces also helped to make the ambience great. However, it was quite a surprise that we were the only customers, except for one private dining area. Once my guests arrived, we were served the complimentary birthday buns, a nice gesture from the restaurant. From here, everything went down hill. I ordered the Onyx Set Menu ($68++ per person)- The first dish, Deep-fried Bacon Rolled with Asparagus, topped with Mayonnaise and Dried Shaved Bonito Flakes Chilled Sea Jelly with Ginger Purée, felt plain. Even worse, 2nd dish, Double-boiled Chicken Soup with Morel Mushroom,Whole Conpoy filled in Chinese Marrow, felt diluted. 3rd dish was the worst, Sautéed and Golden-fried Fillet of Grouper, served with Seasonal Vegetables- The same fillet in school canteen would taste even better. After a couple more dishes, to be fair, there was one dish which I hope the rest of the dishes could have the same quality of taste- Braised Ee-Fu Noodles with Crab Meat, served with ‘Choy Sum’. It could have been a much better evening, as all of us expected great tasting food but the food was well below average among the local Chinese restaurants.

disappointing, expensive, not-great dimsum

for more: http://andmorefood.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/golden-peony-city-hall/

I want to write a scathing post about this place, but suffice to say that I was disappointed, not just because this was supposed to be an institution, a stalwart of fine chinese dining in singapore - and what we got, at incredibly high prices and pretty lacking service, was dimsum not even at the standards of the midrange chinese restaurants like yumcha.

this may have been one occasion, the first after many years of good food followed by a long gap of nearly five years, but it was enough to discourage from further visits - and almost definitely not for dimsum.

the place is packed as it's always been - a phenomenon that was pretty surprising to us at the end of our meal - and its glamorous interior clearly meticulously maintained. I only wish such attention was paid to our food and our meal.

bear in mind that servings of dimsum are twice the price they would usually be, tea is served and priced at extravagant per-cup prices (acceptable if they actually had some sort of flavor), and service seems both harried and impossible to get.

I hope it a one-off, and I certainly wish you a better meal than mine.