It has been some time since I last visited Golden Peony. I came by the restaurant recently for a business lunch. The restaurant is located on the third floow of Conrad Centennial Hotel, which is located just opposite Suntec City – Convention Hall.
Here are the highlights of my meal:
- Appetiser: Pickled Vegetables with diced capsicum, black fungus and fried beancurd. Within this dish, I loved the fried beancurd bits, which is good.
- Trio of Dimsum: Char Siew Pastry, Steamed Vegetable Dumpling and Steamed Scallop and Prawn Dumpling with braised sauce. Great presentation, as all is presented on a long plate. The char siew pastry is small and delicate. The scallop was fresh and below it is the prawn and meat dumpling. It’s drizzled in a starchy sauce which had a taste of superior stock. The vegetable dumpling was also good.
- Steamed Soup in Whole Coconut. Soup had fish maw, dried scallop, fresh prawn, fresh scallop and mini abalone. This was the highlight of the meal. The soup is light and nourishing. I think ladies will love this soup. The seafood ingredients were also fresh and delicious.
- Teriyaki Cod Fish, stir-fried celery, macadamia nuts, black fungus in crispy shell with a red wine sauce. The cod fish is well marinated and flavourful thanks to the teriyaki sauce. The stir fried vegetables on the side were also nice. I didn’t really like the red wine sauce which had a heady wine aroma when it was presented to the table, but I didn’t like the taste.
- Fried Rice with crabmeat, carrots and cauliflower stem with char siew. This was nicely presented on a nice long oval plate. The fried rice had good ‘wok hei’ (breath of the fiery wok) and what’s unique was the diced cauliflower bits in the fried rice. The fried rice is good. The char siew was made in-house had some fatty layers. It was not bad.
Just before serving dessert, we were served calamansi juice ina dainty glass flute. This help to cleanse the palate prior to having dessert.
- Dessert: Avocado juice with Vanilla ice cream; Black Glutinous Rice with homemade Coconut and Deep fried sweet potato pastry. Great presentation, with the avocado juice and black glutinous rice presented in a nice cups. You can hold the cups and use the spoon to dig in or drink down the dessert.
The avocado is nice and refreshing. Its light and smooth, and the texture is not thick unlike avocado smoothie. The vanilla ice cream is a nice touch and its nice!
The restaurant used coconut ice cream to complement the black glutinous rice which is a nice touch.
The deep fried sweet potato pastry was about the size of a ping pong ball. The skin was multi-layered and the inside was sweet and smooth. I could have eaten more if I could.
The restaurant is perfect for business lunch, with good and attentive service provided by the staff, who change cutlery with every course and top up your Chinese tea without prompting.
The food quality is good and I enjoyed my meal here.
For a full review and pictures, pls visit http://therantingpanda.wordpress.com/
The PlaceHaving won numerous awards over the past few years, Golden Peony is one of the most renowned Chinese restaurants in Singapore offering authentic Cantonese cuisine. Located at level 3 of Conrad Hotel, it gives me the vibe of Chinese fine dining as I stepped into the restaurant. The posh oriental interior and ambience is the prelude to an awesome Dim Sum lunch experience. To my surprise, it was not very crowded on a Saturday lunch and we managed to walk in without making any prior reservations.