Reviews for Goldleaf New Taiwan Porridge Restaurant (Amoy Street)

AsianChineseTaiwanese
Esther Xie

Good!

One of the best Porridge places I've eaten at.

More photos of the dishes I tried:

15 Nov 2014 • 5 reviews • 13 followers

Decent food with small portion sizes.

Went there as a party of two.
We had 4 dishes, namely prawn rolls, kung por chicken with cashew nuts, seabass fillet with sambal and french beans with minced pork/dried pork. Naturally we had those dishes with porridge. Porridge is meant to be comfort food which is ideal for my dining partner who is recovering from a bout of flu.

The prawn roll is pretty good, with visible pieces of prawns which went well with minced pork and water chestnut.

The seabass fillet tasted like frozen fish which really needed the thick coat of sambal chili to give it any resemblance of taste, subpar.

The chicken was pretty pathetic in portion, i saw less than 5 pieces of cashew nuts and the meat adds up to less than a single chicken thigh portion wise. Tasted alright but the amount we were served barely lasted.

The beans didn't fare much better, it was on the salty side and the portion was pretty pathetic once again. I can probably get a handful of those beans for 50cents at any hypermarket. On the bright side it was crunchy.

All in all, the food is alright, but do not go there expecting sizable portions. I left the restaurant half hungry despite spending more than 60 dollars.
19 Oct 2013 • 54 reviews • 0 follower

Good!

One of the best Porridge places I've eaten at.

More photos of the dishes I tried:

04 Sep 2013 • 135 reviews • 4 followers

Comforting Homely Taiwanese Fare

Click HERE for full review and photos!

Goldleaf New Taiwan Porridge Restaurant is one such example of a culinary landmark- rich in history and local flavour. The Goldleaf brand, around for the last 40 odd years, first found its beginnings in Oxley Rise. Inspired by its Taiwanese roots with a blend of Singaporean traditional classics, Goldleaf New Taiwan Porridge Restaurant brings the real deal of homely comforting fare to the table.

We started with a bowl of Sweet Potato Porridge each. Simple but especially nostalgic. Best eaten when served hot.

The Soya Bean Stick with Broccoli $12 was cooked just right. Colorful and vibrant with a mishmash of crunchy broccoli flowers, tender soya bean sticks and nutritious black fungus, all tied together with a piquant sticky sauce.

If you love fatty meat slow-cooked till tender, then this Braised Pork with Preserved Vegetables $10/$16 is a must order! No doubt that the pork had been simmering in that silky marinate overnight, every bite was meltingly moist and unbelievable good. The best part had to be how the saltiness of the preserved vegetables had cut through the caramelized sweetness of the meat for a harmonious match.

I enjoy eating prawns without having to get my hands dirty and the Black Pepper Prawns and Stir Fried Prawns with Salted Egg Yolk $16/$36 allowed me to do just that. Succulent, fresh and sweet, the meat of the prawns complimented both the black pepper sauce and salted egg yolk paste quite beautifully.

Ending off with some desserts- the Yam Paste $4, Herbal Jelly $3 and Red/Green Tea Jellies $4 were light and not overwhelmingly sweet. All made homemade, we really enjoyed the velvety smooth textures of the jellies and paste. My vote goes to the Red Tea Jelly for its fragrant tea infusion.

Overall, Goldleaf New Taiwan Porridge Restaurant is an affordable option for large group gatherings and especially family reunions where both the young and old will definitely find dishes suited to their palate.