Review for Good Year Seafood Village (Tampines Avenue)

3.5

AsianChineseSeafoodZi Char
Address: 15 Tampines Ave, 529788
11 Jan 2010 • 321 Reviews • 21 Followers

A Damn Good Fish Head Steamboat

Overall
I was introduced to this place by my God Brother. Typical of him when he find someplace good, he will tell the whole world about it and drag you there to try it. When we ask him where, he said ulu ulu (secluded) place. True to his word, this place indeed very secluded, but not to all the truck and lorry divers that park their vehicles in Tampines area knows about this place.

Firstly, I have been to this place for lunch and dinner for three times before I decided to write this review. With each visit, I've experienced the good and the not so good about this place. Lets start with the good, the best dish in this place by far is the Traditional Charcoal Fish Head Steamboat. If you don't like fish head, just order the Fish Steamboat lah, easy what. The soup is solid, full of flavor with milky white color. The fish slices are generous with other vegetables and taro. Confirm,guarantee and chop that the soup base has gone through long hours of cooking. For your info, to date, I never feel the MSG attack after drinking bowls and bowls of their soup. It taste even better if you have this dish during rainy season. The rain somehow, enhance the taste of the soup.

Their Beancurd with Golden Mushroom is nicely done. Basically its a fried square egg tofu topped with golden mushroom gravy with dried scallops. You will find this dish have a very unique and delicious salty taste, as it came from the dried scallops. I actually finished half a bowl of my rice on this dish alone.

For vegs, we tried Sambal French Bean. Here is a little hint, if you all don't mind a bit of cholesterol that come with the heavenly taste, ask them to fried the Sambal French Bean with the pork lard. We accidentally find this dish when we order the Sambal Potato leaves, but that day they run out of potato leaves so they replace ours with French Bean. My wife fell in love with this dish. The crunchiness of the French bean and Lar Pok get my wife two thumbs up.

However, here come the not so good about this place. We find that their deep fried food, such as their Mongolian Pork Ribs and their Ginger Chicken are not up to standard. Although these dishes suppose to be their Chef's Recommendation, I find these dishes coated with too much flour. So you end up eating the flour instead of the meat. We also find the cooking can be inconsistent from time to time. So far, we find that the food in the afternoon taste nicer than at night. I can't tell you the reason, but I recommend you come in the afternoon.

The service are so so, however for a coffee shop to have a baby chair for my niece to park her butt, it's a plus point for service. Atmosphere wise, it is non air-conditioned coffee shop, behind a big temple in Old Tampines Road. Surrounded by bushes, trucks and lorries and of course foodies like us. Flies, lizards or other insects are part of the natural environment when you are eating here. :) Overall, this place serve delicious, good value for money food (if you know what to order). On average we spend around $12 / person.

Traditional Charcoal Fish Head Steamboat, Beancurd with Golden Mushroom, Sambal French Bean + Lar Pok
Recommended for
Cheap Eat/Budget, Lunch, Dinner, Take Away, Children/Family, After Work, Vibrant/Noisy, View/Scenery, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining
    The management of Good Year Seafood Village responded to this review:
    19 Feb 2010
    Dear Garfield, thank you for your comments. We find them fair and balanced and are glad that you enjoy the fishhead steamboat and other dishes.

We agree that out fried food tends to have too much flour and would like to take the opportunity to say that we are currently in the midst of improving our dishes. We are tweaking some of our recipes but are held back by costs constraints. Our aim is to cook restaurant quality food at a fraction of their prices.

Thus we have concluded that we may have to raise our prices just a little in order to get better ingredients and improve our dishes. Upon survey, we realised that customers do not mind paying a little more for better quality and taste. Any opinions here will be taken seriously and we invite you to tell us what you think.

About our food being better in the afternoons, we believe that you may have arrived at a time where our 2nd chef was on mc and therefore did not get to enjoy the usual standard of our food. We invite you to come back and try us one evening and have a chat with us because we love feedback! We'll throw in a complimentary Chilli Crab which is one of our recommended dishes.

About the "wildlife" hanging around, we have to say, it comes with the tropical jungle environment we are in. Still, we'll do our best to get rid of the unwanted insects.

So, please email us at noobeek@hotmail.com and let us know when you wanna come.. Thank you!