Review for (Closed) Goryeo Korean Cuisine

AsianKorean
Weighty Man • 21 Sep 2012 • 711 Reviews • 83 Followers

Specially prepared Korean Food

I eaten at many Korean restaurants and cafes, and many use the sauces from a bottle or packet. You can taste that the sauces used in Goryeo are specially prepared and tasty. Try it. This new joint started about 2 months ago and invited us to give an opinion on their food.

Ambience: We expected to find a restaurant, but it is a cafe within a cafe concept at Food Republic. Tucked into the left corner, there are many tables and a bit of solitude from the masses that throng Food Republic. Cool and comfortable.

Food: We started with drinks, I wanted to try a Korean beer, but they haven't got their licence yet. I settled for a sweet rice based drink, a little like sweet rice wine but without the alcohol. I also tasted the pomegranate drink made by Lotte, prefer the sweet rice drink.

We had their signature chicken stew, spicey and non-spicey. Before you read my comments, you must know that I don't really like chicken because of my tryst with stale chicken when I served my NS. The soup stock for the non-spicey chicken was ordinary, tasting a little like chicken stew but thankfully the spicey version was uniquely Korean, a bit of ginseng taste and lots of spice. Chicken pieces however were a bit overdone.

I mentioned that their sauces were unique - the salad dressing came with a apple vinegar sauce which was tasty and freshly prepared, the kimchi soup was prepared with tasty soup stock, probably chicken, and their special kimchi spice, and the bibimba had their unique soypaste-chili taste, fresh and unique. Last time I ate good bibimba was in Seoul, not in Singapore.

We had the bulgogi but it was a little too sweet for my liking, and it was served on a base of shreded cabbage not lettuce.

\We ended with a citron drink probably made from the Uzu orange/pomelo.

Value: Chicken stew was $20 for a large bowl, individual servings are $8 per small bowl. Prices were reasonable and portions large.

Service: They serve at your table, that is already an improvement over Food republic where you have to queue for your food.

bibimba, jjimdak (angdong korean steamed chicken)
Recommended for
Lunch, Dinner
Overall
  • Corner of Food Republic
  • Menu shows the origin of the Andong Jjimdak
  • Sweet rice drink
  • Chicken soup
  • Spicey version of the chicken stew
  • Tasty kimchi soup