Back to Grub510 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1

People Watching3 votes

Ms Skinnyfat
 • 26 Oct 2014 242 reviews 46 followers
Overall
For more reviews, visit www.ms-skinnyfat.com

If you enjoy alresco dining in a idyllic garden setting, then GRUB is probably gonna be up your alley. This restaurant is right smacked in the middle of Bishan Park, far from civilization (it's a walk from the ulu busstop so i'd suggest driving or cabbing) and amidst the greens and rocks and wildlife (mosquitoes). What's good is that the Cookyn Inc. folks are very picky on using natural ingredients and eating responsibly so you can eat without guilt. Also, your wallet will not be emptied as most dishes are priced below $15.

Well i was under the impression that GRUB was still adopting a no-reservation policy but when i visited, groups without reservations were frowned upon. So make sure you call them up just to make sure anyway. S and i decided to give their brunch a shot and the options included the regular eggs and sausage combi along with a number of burgers.

I heard much about the Crispy Fish Burger ($12) and GRUB uses either Monkfish or Haddock, both of which are sustainable white fish. My first thought was that this is a fish and chip dish masquerading as a fish burger! Actually it would have done better without the empty bun that was way too light tasting (i couldn't taste the bread at all).

The fries and that homemade remoulade (they make their own mayonnaise) was simply amazing. Top it up with mentaiko sauce for an additional $2 and this would be the perfect fish and chips.

I liked that the fish meat is dense and fresh and the portion extremely generous.

I wanted to order the Slow cooked Pork Belly ($17) that is sous vide and seared and served with sauteed leeks and sweet potato mash but was disappointed to know that it is only available for dinner! BAH.

The Belgium Waffles with maple syrup and butter ($6.50) was a terrible mistake we made as a result. The batter was undercooked in the middle and it was also tasteless. The watery syrup (probably maple flavored and not real maple syrup) did little to enhance the flavor. I would rather have Prima Deli's cheap waffles which taste much better than this.

Churros ($8) was highly recommended but the portion seemed too huge for us to tackle and i didnt think it'd be nice if we took it away. Well, you guys try it and let me know. Liberty coffee is served at GRUB and priced at about $4-5.

I wouldn't mind eating at Grub if there isn't a queue but the inaccessibility may be a deterrance.

Must tries: Mentaiko Fries

pickledpeas
 • 15 Oct 2014 148 reviews 6 followers
Overall
See the full review with pictures at: http://pickledpeas.wordpress.com/2014/10/15/lunch-at-grub/

We went on a weekday afternoon, for which they are open now, but with a reduced menu (compared to the weekend brunch menu for example)

We tried their cream of mushroom soup which was rather meh. No blended mushrooms or anything like that. And then we decided to try two of their burgers! I think this was a mistake.

We had the deep fried fish burger and the deep fried chicken burger with kaffir lime mayo. In both cases the breading was much too thick and made one really full (there are buns with the meat, but the breading would have sufficed as far as carbs go). The kaffir lime mayo and the tartar sauce is really quite good but there is too little of it.

The mentaiko fries, which were what I came here for, were really good as usual. I liked the mentaiko pasta as well, although the dried shrimp was a little tough/chewy so one spends a lot of time chewing through those instead of getting the al dente bite of the pasta.

Recommendation: I still like this place, but I would rather come for weekend brunch, where they have their oeuf en cocotte (which is amazing), and I’d still always order the mentaiko fries. I’d stay away from their burgers though!

Little Gwen
 • 11 Oct 2014 4 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Celebrated my birthday there with a bff on a friday noon. Limited seating capacity as the place is really small. If you sit at the balcony area during the noon.. it can be very warm, but indoor is usually full house. Reservation is not available. Thus, do come early if you wish to sit indoor. Lunch starts from 11am.

The Fish Burger was perfectly breaded and fried. Fresh and juicy. Even my friend who is afraid of fishy taste, enjoy the dish. The hand-made beef patty for cheeseburger was tender and thick in portion. Yuzu mint soda is refreshing - a must try!

They have like 6 burgers, 3 pastas, 6 appetizers n 6 dessets to choose from. Very straight forward menu (others may find the  food variety too limited).

Be careful of the birds in the park. A bird shitted on my bff. A service crew offered us a glass of water n serviettes to clean the mess on her laptop bag. Very helpful :)

Must tries: Fish burger, Grub Cheeseburger