Review for Grub

Western
Address: 510 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1, 569983
24 May 2014

Grub is now open for lunch on weekday 11am - 3pm

For full review and photos, click HERE

The last time I came to GRUB was about 11 months ago for dinner. I am back at GRUB again for the weekend brunch. Located at Bishan Park, it is actually quite rare to have such dining place surrounded by beautiful greenery. GRUB still adopts a non reservation policy and hence one still needs to take their chance and queue up for a seat if you want to dine at GRUB. The good news is GRUB is now opened for lunch Tuesday to Friday from 11am to 3pm.

Kick starting the weekend brunch is the Truffled Egg Cocotte ($7) which the soft boiled eggs are perfumed with truffle and crispy parma ham served with toasted focaccia at the side. I called it a fancy interpretation of our local favourite of soft boiled eggs and toast.

For me truffle fries is already too mainstream. I applauded GRUB for not going down the path but introduced theMentaiko Fries ($9) on their menu instead. Topped with nori seaweed, the mentaiko aioli sauce goes with the fries very well. This is really addictive.

The French Toast ($12) at GRUB comes with in a combination of sweet and savoury. The french toast is drizzled with maple syrup and topped with a garlic thyme pork sausage, freshly cut strawberries and sour cream. I am not a big fan of such combination but it seems like the younger generations are more adventurous with their taste buds.

Looking for a more substantial brunch, how about GRUB Double Cheeseburger ($18) with Monterey Jack cheese? The 100% freshly minced beef patty was juicy and flavourful. The melted flowy cheese simply melted my heart as I love my burger to be very cheesy and messy. The beef patty was also juicy, moist and flavoursome.

I tried the Slow Cooked Pork Belly ($17) during my previous visit and I have enjoyed it. GRUB has since made some improvement to the dish. Gone is the potato mash drenched in a mango sauce and cherry tomato salsa. This is substituted with sweet potato mash which is cleaner in presentation, better colour contrast and still giving the dish that sweet element to complement the meaty taste. The sou vide pork belly used to be pan fried to a golden brown but now it is lightly seared allowing the flavoursome and succulent pork belly to standout more. By the way, this dish is only available for dinner.

New in the menu is the Sakura Ebi Pasta ($17). The linguine is served with sakura ebi, prawns and comes with a hint of mentaiko. The new creation is a good change from the classic tomato and cream base sauce. The sakura ebi gave the pasta a lift in both flavour and texture. I actually went back a second time for this dish but it turned out that the garlic taste was a bit stronger than previous covering the sweetness of sakura ebi. I think it lacked a bit of consistency but it still tasted as good. However I still prefer the version that allows the sweetness of the sakura ebi to shine. The Sakura Ebi Pasta is available for both lunch and dinner menu only.

Slow Cooked Pork Belly

More reviews of Grub

Purple Taste: GRUB @ Bishan Park 1

First time visiting during lunch hour on a weekday. To get here, one could take a cab and drop off at the Bishan Park carpark. Informed the taxi uncle to take us via Sin Ming Avenue.

The days of the long queues might have passed, but this place is still pretty busy during lunch hour. Lunch sets are priced at $15 and $17 and you'll get additional cake, on top of your burger or main course. Quite a good deal, considering that the average cost for a burger is about $13, so that $2 extra would nett you a decent slice of cake for desserts. If you get a pasta dish, for example one that costs $17, then with the lunch set, the cake would practically pay for itself. Free, even better!

lunch set
 Had tried the fish burger and the cheeseburger during previous visit, so this time round, went for the Har Cheong Gai Burger. I can almost imagine how it would taste like. Yums.

Food was served pretty fast. All burgers come with fries, but one could opt for a small salad as well. Needed my greens, so no prize for guessing what I had. Tangy vinaigrette and pleasingly sourish.

The patty for the har cheong gai was fried till a deep brown colour. Very very crispy batter. Am thinking that if the burger was served with those fragrant sambal belachan, then the oomph factor would probably have shot up by twofold!

Har Cheong Gai Burger @$13++ (ala-carte), or $15++ (lunch set) are we ready?
 Liked the portion of the meat. Easy to slice through and it was juicy thigh meat encased in crispy prawn paste batter. The prawn paste taste was rather mild but one could still detect it. The crispy batter somehow reminded me of luncheon meat chips.

juicy thigh meat
 For the cakes, there were adequate options and variety to choose from. On our day of visit, there were about 6 cakes options and a key lime pie.

rainbow cake, key lime pie, lavender earl grey, ondeh-ondeh and milk tea cake
 The top two cakes for me was the rainbow cake and the ondeh-ondeh cake. Don't you feel happy, just by looking at those colourful layers of soft sponge?

Sakura Ebi Pasta too dry

Went to GRUB for dinner with a friend awhile ago. I would not say this is ulu as there are 4 buses that goes to this place from Ang Mo Kio MRT. I have heard raving reviews about their Sakura Ebi Pasta so i decided to grab my friend to try this out with me. He ordered other food instead though.

Anyways, Did not quite like it. This was cooked in the agilo olio style. It was rather dry to me, Feels like like dry BCM. This was drizzled in mentaiko sauce with fried sakura ebi and big succulent prawns. I feel that they can be more generous with their mentaiko. :)

Full review: http://nickeatfood.blogspot.sg/2015/12/review-grub-cafe-at-bishan-park.html

Grub: Food that we serve our own FAMILIES

Brunch time. It is the Grub breakfast set comes with a cup of coffee or tea or canned drink. You can choose between the chicken cheese or the garlic thyme pork sausage. It comes with scramble eggs with grilled focaccia, mushroom and salads. It is a big breakfast.

For my full review of this restaurant and some pictures of the breakfast set, please visit, http://wp.me/skCKL-grub

Thank you.

Pets unfriendly

Was  scrolling my dog , saw this place so decided to give it a try . One word , unfriendly . To dogs especially, asked me to leave my dog outside for about 3 meters . Won't come back next time ever again

Grub breakfast set

For full review, please visit https://phuachiuyen.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/grub-bishan-park/

GRUB breakfast set – with a coffee/tea/homemade or canned drink ($15) – grilled focaccia, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, side salad – choice of chicken cheese or garlic thyme pork saussage